Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Marty was always the office Republican at old Bungie iirc, so it’s not surprising to see him get Trump brained as he ages but still sad tho.

His firing had nothing to do with that (that I know of) and everything to do with him picking a bad moment to piss off Activision (at the height of the cluster gently caress that was Destiny 1 development)

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-the-music-died-when-bungie-fired-marty-odonnell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I asked this in another thread but are there any songs on the Halo soundtracks that are specifically attributed to Michael Salvatori? Marty is always quick to take credit when people make youtube videos about Halo music but I don't see much of Michael at all. Going off of his music for Destiny I'd wager that Michael had a lot more play with Halo Reach's score.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

iirc in one of the developer commentaries Marty says Michael wrote about a third of the music for the first 3 games.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
They got this new low grav themed map called Elevation and a bunch of new Husky Raid maps. Pretty good stuff.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Elevation is a really fun map.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Elevation is cool. Has anyone else noticed bots bugging out on it though? They seem to get hung up on geometry a lot

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Elevation is cool but I preferred last month's new map.

I like getting a reasonable content dump every 6 weeks, I do wonder how long they plan to do this for. The game is kind of in maintenance mode already, but through the use of forge and just pumping out cosmetics it feels like a skeleton crew could keep this pace up for years?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jables88 posted:

Elevation is cool but I preferred last month's new map.

I like getting a reasonable content dump every 6 weeks, I do wonder how long they plan to do this for. The game is kind of in maintenance mode already, but through the use of forge and just pumping out cosmetics it feels like a skeleton crew could keep this pace up for years?

Is there still the plan to have this be the only Halo game for a decade? Seems like a wasted opportunity to leave behind the 2013 console. Xbox One will be what, 18 years old by that time?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there still the plan to have this be the only Halo game for a decade? Seems like a wasted opportunity to leave behind the 2013 console. Xbox One will be what, 18 years old by that time?

I doubt it. I think the 10 year thing was some rumor?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
This was the quote:

quote:

It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community

It was fairly offhand as part of an interview but nerds took it and ran with it that it was confirmed that Halo Infinite would receive 10 full years of support no matter what.

I think there were rumours though recently that 343 is actively working on the next game.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OF course they are, infinite is seemingly being run by the interns now. Hopefully with Ross and Co gone they can make a decent game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Check out my cool mod pls

https://twitter.com/ANCHrGG/status/1765364927030567242

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I think there were rumours though recently that 343 is actively working on the next game.

It's not even rumors, they've just admitted they're working on a new game and there's no campaign DLC coming for Infinite.

They also mentioned a Spartan Points system like MCC has, to obtain old promotional/unavailable cosmetics. And obviously the shift to Operations has a lot more free stuff in it, too. Which is nice, but if Microsoft isn't asking them to aggressively milk every cent out of the game anymore and letting people play to get cosmetics, you know it's basically over.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just make the next Halo game the adventures of Jerome and Red Team. First level they show up on Zeta Halo, pick up da Chief and the you've got four player co-op where the Spirit of Fire flies around the galaxy beating up Banished and Covenant alike.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

This looks really cool! I’m sad it’s multiplayer focused, I was honestly thrilled by the idea of a single player sandbox refresh.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Fairly big update to multiplayer including sandbox tweaks and the new network code.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/march-update-preview

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Infinite owns and 343's continual iterations of Halo's gameplay have all been solid choices but while I know a lot of people praised them for returning to the older Halo aesthetic with Infinite, I hope the next Halo game has an art style more like 4 & 5 because it was so freakin' good. Still bummed they changed the graphics of 5 for the worse because of pro players complaining about the Halo 5 multiplayer beta. Hopefully they stick to their guns more going forward and just do their thing. Also bring back Breakout!

Also extremely hot take here but I think they should focus on multiplayer rather than singleplayer campaigns imo because multi is where Halo shines and firefight provides that co-op PvE experience which is more replayable than a campaign could ever be.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SUNKOS posted:

Infinite owns and 343's continual iterations of Halo's gameplay have all been solid choices but while I know a lot of people praised them for returning to the older Halo aesthetic with Infinite, I hope the next Halo game has an art style more like 4 & 5 because it was so freakin' good.

Sparth account spotted.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I thought Infinite was the Sparth-influenced one?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The hell is a Sparth. A Spartan with a lisp?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

General Battuta posted:

I thought Infinite was the Sparth-influenced one?

Oh, you might be right.

Well, whoever proceeded him spotted then.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

This looks really cool! I’m sad it’s multiplayer focused, I was honestly thrilled by the idea of a single player sandbox refresh.

I actually don't own the campaign dlc so I can't do that lol

Also trying to get on the sandbox team at 343 so I'm doing mostly my stuff :)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Just encountered a bug on one of the new Squad maps. Landgrab and no zones spawned.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Gotta be a boomer or have rich parents to play that mode

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SUNKOS posted:

Infinite owns and 343's continual iterations of Halo's gameplay have all been solid choices but while I know a lot of people praised them for returning to the older Halo aesthetic with Infinite, I hope the next Halo game has an art style more like 4 & 5 because it was so freakin' good. Still bummed they changed the graphics of 5 for the worse because of pro players complaining about the Halo 5 multiplayer beta. Hopefully they stick to their guns more going forward and just do their thing. Also bring back Breakout!

Also extremely hot take here but I think they should focus on multiplayer rather than singleplayer campaigns imo because multi is where Halo shines and firefight provides that co-op PvE experience which is more replayable than a campaign could ever be.

4 & 5 were ugly and I’m not buying a Halo game that has no campaign

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
For real, half the joy of these dumb games is couch co-op which is one of many reasons why 5 was bad.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

I would bet small amounts of money that a majority of players never even touch multiplayer beyond co-op. They're just harder to monetize.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I haven't played a halo single player campaign since reach, and never played the halo 3 campaign. I only really give a poo poo about multiplayer. Even before Halo 2 came out with Xbox live, 99% of my halo played was system link

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

I hope the next Halo game has an art style more like 4 & 5 because it was so freakin' good.

Absolutely insane take.

I agree about the multiplayer focus though. If infinite is the best they could do, they really shouldn't bother beyond PVE multiplayer modes like firefight.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

People are already recreating old campaign levels or making entirely custom PvE maps themselves so may as well just let the community do it all for them

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Couch co-op campaign content is an enormous part of the Halo identity to the point where people were rightly pissed that both 5 and Infinite didn't have it. I would wager a lot of MCC use is still campaign to this day. Halo games should have a campaign, I'm not sure why that would be a controversial suggestion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My hot take is that the art design for the Halo 4 and 5 wouldn't be nearly as iffy if the bodysuit underneath the armour plates didn't look like shrink wrapped garbage bags over emaciated Spartans.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Jables88 posted:

Couch co-op campaign content is an enormous part of the Halo identity to the point where people were rightly pissed that both 5 and Infinite didn't have it. I would wager a lot of MCC use is still campaign to this day. Halo games should have a campaign, I'm not sure why that would be a controversial suggestion.

Tried facts. It's not so much that couch co op is the best part of Halo. It's that Halo used to be one of the best couch co op games out there - so if you did have a friend over, especially one who doesn't play games online, it was a fun and relatively forgiving way to have fun together.

Especially because you didn't both die if one person kept getting killed - even on legendary.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Jables88 posted:

Couch co-op campaign content is an enormous part of the Halo identity to the point where people were rightly pissed that both 5 and Infinite didn't have it.

And yet Halo 5 was the biggest launch in Halo's history until Halo Infinite came along and set another new record :eng101:

Co-op campaign is cool (enjoyed it in Gears of War too) but I've never known it not be a one-and-done type of thing personally. This very well could be my own bubble! I'm just used to the desire to play co-op always resulting in firing up firefight or horde mode rather than going through campaigns again. Different strokes for different folks though, I'm just glad 343 have taken forge mode so far and it now has AI and tools for firefight.

Arc Hammer posted:

My hot take is that the art design for the Halo 4 and 5 wouldn't be nearly as iffy if the bodysuit underneath the armour plates didn't look like shrink wrapped garbage bags over emaciated Spartans.

Yeah I know a lot of people disliked the new armor styles, I'm referring more to how much visual variety there was in levels and how nice all the environments looked. They've expanded on that with all the free DLC for Infinite but Halo 4 in particular was very colorful and had so much visual variety, I just miss that.

Agoat posted:

Also trying to get on the sandbox team at 343 so I'm doing mostly my stuff :)

Good luck! Hope you succeed. I wonder if a really solid (and original, not remake) forge map showcasing good application of the sandbox tools might be a handy thing to have in your portfolio? Could be a useful way of showcasing your knowledge and how to apply it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe the next Halo game will be finished before it’s released!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

And yet Halo 5 was the biggest launch in Halo's history until Halo Infinite came along and set another new record :eng101:

Co-op campaign is cool (enjoyed it in Gears of War too) but I've never known it not be a one-and-done type of thing personally. This very well could be my own bubble! I'm just used to the desire to play co-op always resulting in firing up firefight or horde mode rather than going through campaigns again. Different strokes for different folks though, I'm just glad 343 have taken forge mode so far and it now has AI and tools for firefight.

It's your bubble, I've done every campaign in co-op multiple times with lots of different friends. Even done every campaign except 5/Infinite on LASO.

Call of Duty has also tried ditching its campaigns because obviously the multiplayer is what everyone wants (right??) and the results have been unpopular. People like single player content, and Halo used to have some of the best.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Remy coveting the update, seems like a good patch

https://youtu.be/bQs1IlHP1Xk?si=fN2cjwQ_ZqoLI25J

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Squad Battle seems good. The Headlong remake is a really good looking map

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

Remy coveting the update, seems like a good patch

https://youtu.be/bQs1IlHP1Xk?si=fN2cjwQ_ZqoLI25J

A lot of weird things came back with this patch, like the weapon drop tech and some other stuff.

Not a bad thing, especially if you play social and will never see it, but it's interesting to see!

SUNKOS posted:

Good luck! Hope you succeed. I wonder if a really solid (and original, not remake) forge map showcasing good application of the sandbox tools might be a handy thing to have in your portfolio? Could be a useful way of showcasing your knowledge and how to apply it.

Thank you!! I might get a friend to help with that, I don't make maps so good.

Everything I work with is numbers, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hey how's the player count for the MP these days? Enough that you can just hop on and shoot poo poo for a bit outside NA time zones or nah?