Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Love the SR games, RIP man.
I'll spray some poo poo on some civilians for you if I can get it working on my PC this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm pretty sure the thread that showed me which mods made that amazing game able to be amazing all these years later was by him. Never talked to him, but he's one of those guys out there who do the extra work that makes the extra fun possible. Sorry to hear about his passing,

If there were ever a man canonized into the 3rd Street Saints, it is Idolninja.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

drat. Idolninja and his work meant a lot to me. I remember getting super excited when I found out he would be working for Volition. I pretty regularly attended the streams that Chip would organize for volition, and always enjoyed his presence in them.

Rest in peace, man.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This fuckin sucks and so does cancer. Rip Idolninja, you enabled a shitload of good laughter in my life.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

gently caress you cancer you moron

You loving idiot

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Has volition or deep silver announced any way to donate to his family?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
gently caress cancer. Rest well, Mike. Wherever you are, I hope it's purple and gold.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress :(

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

He was king poo poo and I will miss him dearly :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lung cancer got my grandpa a couple months ago too.

gently caress cancer.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zeether posted:

I hope he'll get a nice tribute in the new game

It's just as likely not a reference or anything (but knowing Volition and knowing how long IdolNinja's been hanging around helping out/making himself known in the community), but one of the new gangs is straight up called The Idols.

If they didn't already name them in reference to all of the good will he's generated over the years and how important he is to the community, I can guarantee you now they're definitely working out a way to work in a tribute.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Walker posted:

gently caress cancer. Rest well, Mike. Wherever you are, I hope it's purple and gold.

doing the sr4 intro rn signing the gently caress cancer bill for idolninja

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I posted in the SR2 thread here about trying to run the game + GOTR on the weird-rear end dual GPU gaming laptop I was using at the time. Idolninja reached out asking for crash logs and pretty soon after released a patch for GOTR that addressed my incredibly niche issue.

Super, super generous guy. gently caress cancer.

R.I.P.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Saints Row 2 is one of the best games ever made in spite of it's substantial technical problems, idolninja was smart enough to to recognize that and help whip it back into shape so people in the future could experience the joy of spraying people with raw sewage. RIP

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy loving poo poo. I still can't believe this. Posted in the SR2 thread as a regular. IdolNinja was basically our Saints community leader. It was amazing to see him live out his dream of getting hired by Volition after all of his hard work on SR2 Gentlemen of the Row mod. Wow. I just found out and it's utterly shocking. Rest in peace.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Jesus loving gently caress cancer.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Hold on, I just realised. One of the admins needs to lock IdolNinja's account so it doesn't get taken over by hackers, that's something that we usually do when somebody passes.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tombot posted:

Hold on, I just realised. One of the admins needs to lock IdolNinja's account so it doesn't get taken over by hackers, that's something that we usually do when somebody passes.

It is. It's already been reported in the qcs thread for such things. I just wish we could preserve the avatars of people when that happens.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ChickenHeart posted:

gently caress cancer.

He was an amazing person and will be sorely missed.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Going to go watch the saints row 2 lets play with RocketMan and relive one of the funniest moments I've experienced. A moment which was basically enabled by Idolninja and his work.

This sucks hard. gently caress cancer.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

gently caress cancer. I was up and down the old SR2 thread making avatars and IdolNinja was consistently just the most helpful person, getting GotR running for anyone. It was so cool to hear that he was hired by Volition and got to be part of the series he cared so much about that way. I hope his work lives on.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just booted up a new SR2 run with GotR installed. What a shame, but the least we can do is enjoy what he poured his life into. RIP homie :(

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I saw the post he made on the like SR2 steam forums when he was announcing that things were going downhill, so he was stepping down, but jesus christ it still feels so bad all over again.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Pirate Jet posted:

Rest In Peace man. You’ll always be the boss.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

gently caress!
RIP Idolninja.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
drat. haven't touched the SR games in a bit, but I remember discovering Gentlemen of the Row through the PanzerSkank/Kaubocks LP

RIP IdolNinja and gently caress cancer

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
RIP Mike. We only chatted online but he helped me out with the terrible mess that was SR2 PC and made a lot of cool stuff for the community. Very selfless and you will be remembered man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cancer should be buried alive in an unmarked grave.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not to downplay his tremendous achievements with his Gentleman of the Row mod, but what gets me the most about him is the sheer volume of accounts I've seen on here, twitter and other forums where anyone reporting having any trouble with literally anything basically had a 9/10 chance of summoning him to directly to you to take the time to personally walk you through whatever issue you were having at length. That is such an unheard of quality and speaks to what a genuinely nice, caring person he was as well as his dedication and passion to just being excited about people playing a great game. RIP.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I don't know that I ever interacted with him in more than a passing way, but I certainly know his work, and I was desperately looking forward to the ultimate official fix of SR2 PC that he was working on. I know that's still happening, but geez, thinking of it with no IdolNinja there anymore...

loving cancer. gently caress.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

In the back of my mind I've always wondered how his SR2 work was going, ever since years ago when I first played GotR before he got hired by Volition. I knew he was hired, I knew he was working on fixing the PC port, and I was hopeful one day he'd get to release it to fanfare and applause. He just seemed like the nicest dude. Even when he said he had terminal cancer, it just didn't really occur to me that he would pass, you know?

He was a true boss.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Can we get some gang tags drafted and then handed out upon donation to cancer research in IdolNinja's name?

It's hard to gently caress cancer but money can at least violently sand paper its taint.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Fabulousity posted:

Can we get some gang tags drafted and then handed out upon donation to cancer research in IdolNinja's name?

It's hard to gently caress cancer but money can at least violently sand paper its taint.

I like this idea and I would donate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

here's the old thread tag

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Babe Magnet posted:

here's the old thread tag

I would love to buy a "vintage" gang tag for charity! I haven't had mine in forever!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 4, 2021

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Doomsayer posted:

I would love to buy a "vintage" gang tag for charity!

Hell yeah

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I remember we'd also "gang initiate" our avatars buy making them purple, changing elements to be purple, or giving them a purple border lol

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
that would legit rule i think

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I had no idea who this dude was, but it’s a testament to him that y’all are saying such kind things about him. I’d almost forgotten what nice was in 2021. Touching. He must have been a hell of a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
He was a mensch, all the time