Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

empty whippet box posted:

end of week 3 of my new wfh job, nobody got paid because payroll has a problem and they don't know when we will get paid! very cool! maybe I need a new job!
File for unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011
Thank you for the thread Business Gorilla, it's inspiring to see goons helping goons. I'll probably be reaching out when you guys are accepting applications from Texas but until then it's back into the plague Freedom Pits for me :texas:

EDIT:

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Just wanted to express deep gratitude to Business Gorillas for providing some very helpful feedback on my resume. He was able to help me target it more specifically for a remote help desk job, and after months of receiving rejections with my old resume, I got a job a offer within a week of using my new one. Now I don't have to work in the plague pits. :unsmith:

If anyone lives in Texas or Oklahoma and is interested in a contract to hire position for a fully remote tier 1 IT help desk position, DM me for more information. They're still hiring.

Thanks for the heads up, DMing

bearbaiter has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Sep 21, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I work for a large Green Energy Company.

We have/had 70 people starting in September. We have a LOT of growth. We've posted 24 openings in the past two weeks in almost all departments.
*I am unhappy but thats not an indictment of the company as much as it is the person i work for.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I’m selling plasma woohoo

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

my best friend is a TN visa holder who recently got let go. He’s been here for 14 years and has a 6 year old American citizen son and owns a home down the street for me. that clock be ticking down like crazy and him and I are spending most our daylight hours trying to find him a computer analyst job that would allow him and his family to stay.

been on dozens of interviews, but trying to explain to an hr bot how his visa works is basically an impossible task even though its the easiest fuckin visa there is.

to that point, ive already pm’d some peeps in the jobs thread, but if anyone has a line on a computer software/hardware helpdesk position please reach out to me!

cross posting this here for hopefully more eyes to see.

we are pretty desperate to find him a job before they have to leave the country.

only requirement for his visa type is that it has to be “computer systems analyst” position which is pretty vaguely defined.

he was wfh doing desktop support for the last two years until the company he’d been with for over a decade got bought out and his team got shut down.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

sorry friends, the JOBS factory is booming and another goon got a JOB today:

HornyBoy123 posted:

Hey man! Can I send you my resume to review before I jump into the employee work pool again? I would be preferably looking for a work from home computer touching job and was referred to your thread for help with my resume.

I'm trying to get into the workpool again after a long hiatus nailing down some medical issues and could greatly use some assistance when you ever have some spare time!

yeah, send it to me at the email i have in the OP as well as my instructions (what you want me to do with your resume, etc)

Caseman posted:

General resume strategy question: shorter or longer? I had an old boss tell me it was absolutely essential to keep your resume to one page, but I'm also hearing it's super important to brag about yourself. As I've racked up almost a decade in my industry, it gets more difficult to be precise about my experience without being verbose.

Basically I can't all the cool poo poo I've done on one page, plus I've gotten some very quick rejection emails lately and I'm starting to think the issue is the format of my resume.

your old boss was a putz. couple things:
1) don't brag on a resume, you should sell. selling is puffing yourself up for a purpose (getting a job), whereas bragging is puffing yourself up for its own sake.
2) this is arbitrary but if you have 5+ years in your industry with multiple positions, i believe a 2 page resume is fine. if you're still hitting a block, i'd suggest taking it to a neutral third party and having someone else buzzsaw through it
3) my resume hole is always open so if you think it's a format thing, lemme know (see above)

edit:

wolfs posted:

I’m selling plasma woohoo

you don't have money so you're selling plasma, but you have enough money to afford plat to lmk how we can work together so you can stop selling your plasma?

hmm.... curious

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Sep 22, 2021

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably worth making more than one version of your resume, also. I have a long one that lists all the poo poo I ever did professionally in music, and a short one that doesn't, one's for music related jobs and one is for non music related jobs.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I was always told to have a master version of your resume that's as long as needed, with everything possible. but you never give this to anyone, you get rid of whatever isn't useful and give that version for the specific job

anyways, I may have secured a job but if not, I will be hitting up the gorilla man because this job hunting is so loving depressing.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
if a a job misses payroll you should probably just quit tbh

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

if a a job misses payroll you should probably just quit tbh

yea im on it trust me. I'm gonna sit through the rest of their training because they will pay me eventually, and I'm not doing poo poo else, and new job should start in a couple weeks so i may as well

gently caress this job. they hosed around and now they will find out.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SpaceCadetBob posted:

cross posting this here for hopefully more eyes to see.

we are pretty desperate to find him a job before they have to leave the country.

only requirement for his visa type is that it has to be “computer systems analyst” position which is pretty vaguely defined.

he was wfh doing desktop support for the last two years until the company he’d been with for over a decade got bought out and his team got shut down.

I may have something but it depends on his skill set, some types of help desk are wfh and some are in person, same goes for our analyst roles. Regardless my company hires a ton of visa holders of all different types (they even sponsor visas for some employees) so if they're willing to relocate there are a lot more options. You can pm me with more details and I'll see if we've got anything that matches.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

I may have something but it depends on his skill set, some types of help desk are wfh and some are in person, same goes for our analyst roles. Regardless my company hires a ton of visa holders of all different types (they even sponsor visas for some employees) so if they're willing to relocate there are a lot more options. You can pm me with more details and I'll see if we've got anything that matches.

if you're hiring analyst roles im lookin. poo poo even jr analyst roles (systems analyst? administration? anything at this point)

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

It's probably worth making more than one version of your resume, also. I have a long one that lists all the poo poo I ever did professionally in music, and a short one that doesn't, one's for music related jobs and one is for non music related jobs.

Heh, my relevant professional work experience is in the music business, though tangentially (industry measurement, which deals with all of the major labels/retailers). The music industry seems more difficult to get employed in, despite the fact that a lot of these jobs suck and have to be in one of three cities where all their corporate headquarters are. Namely NYC, LA, or Nashville.

Business Gorillas posted:

3) my resume hole is always open so if you think it's a format thing, lemme know (see above)

I may get you a copy in the DMs then. I honestly wish the standard was people's LinkedIn profiles instead of their resumes, LinkedIn has much better context and you can see if they managed to stay connected with people they used to work with.

I've always found this entire process to be truly bizarre. Like the skillset that makes you good at interviewing or writing a resume is rarely the same skillset as the job you're interviewing for. We went through 3 different employees in recent years that had very promising resumes and interviewed really well then were completely useless and incapable of getting better until they either quit or were "laid off."

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Caseman posted:

I've always found this entire process to be truly bizarre. Like the skillset that makes you good at interviewing or writing a resume is rarely the same skillset as the job you're interviewing for. We went through 3 different employees in recent years that had very promising resumes and interviewed really well then were completely useless and incapable of getting better until they either quit or were "laid off."

i'd have to know more about the job you're hiring for but imo especially when it comes to higher levels of recruitment, it's pretty much an arms race of bullshit. lying on resumes and faking your ways through interviews are probably a multi-billion dollar industry (hell, linkedin is an entire website devoted to making yourself look better than you actually are) with very tangible benefits and almost no downsides. if you factor that in with, say, someone that has the chops to become the hiring manager of an engineering firm having a different skillset than someone who's a bullshit artist, i'm not shocked that the people that interview the best turn out to be the worst people.

the fact of the matter is the meritocracy is a giant lie meant to legitimize the unearned wealth of the rich and until capitalism goes away, you might as well leverage whatever bullshit you got to get your lungs clean and out of the covid mines

edit: assuming your putz of a boss does the hiring, something that might take up 1% of their total workload at most, because they're Mommy's Special Child, and someone that does interviews for a living (ex. a recruiter or anyone in HR) doesn't get near these idiots that are getting hired other than legal CYA

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Sep 23, 2021

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'll throw my longshot out there: If you happen to be in the medical physics field (diagnostics, therapy or nuclear) I'm in a two person company that has more business than we've got hands. Physics Assistants, Licensed Physicists please holler at me if you want to work in Iowa or are in the region. Oh and if you're in school for either of these things, we'd be happy to set up an internship or fellowship for you.

If you're in school and want an interesting growth field, check it out.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
To be honest I'm mostly looking for advice for moving forward in the next 6 months to a year, but if you read this and think I could potentially fill a WFH opening then please feel free to pass it on! (I'm located in Kentucky!)

My background since college (BS (lol) in Poli Sci) has been mostly insurance claims and then recently I started working for a loan finance company. I've always toyed with getting something more computer toucher focused and obtained an A+ Cert recently as a sort of trial to see if I could still learn and cared enough to learn still, I guess I do because I did a pretty good job passing it! (Yeehaw!)

Anyway, I've been considering a focus on Data Analyst/Data Administration type work. My current job has me doing some basic SQL queries and also doing queries in iSeries. Previous work had me keeping up with data and files in all manner of proprietary and company tailored software.

SQL is the skill I always hear as being the big basic building block for Data Admin. But what does that look like as far as me learning it? Like I said I've been building relatively basic queries through work, but it seems like a lot of the skillsets people are really looking for has to do more with maintaining SQL servers. What's the best way to really go about adequately building experience with that and is there a good way to really show something like the off to a potential employer? It doesn't seem like it's something I can quite just cram on a Github or what have you?

Also beyond SQL what would be good to work on? My work uses a lot of Access because that is how someone set a number of things up, but Access seems to have a pretty middling reputation from reading online and talking to a couple computer toucher friends. Python seems to be the other thing that pops up a lot when reading about data admin type work. Are there any certs that are worth getting that are more data admin focused?

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Also beyond SQL what would be good to work on? My work uses a lot of Access because that is how someone set a number of things up, but Access seems to have a pretty middling reputation from reading online and talking to a couple computer toucher friends. Python seems to be the other thing that pops up a lot when reading about data admin type work. Are there any certs that are worth getting that are more data admin focused?

I can tell you what my experience has been as a data analyst in the music industry for the last 5 years. Note that all of this is based on what I've done and talked to others at labels about, probably different for different industries. The skills for retrieving/organizing/administrating data warehouses are usually learned along the way or handled by insane database experts that have been doing it forever. Also a lot of companies have proprietary internal tools for the organizing data that can't be learned until you work with them, but almost all of them are just simple frontends for a SQL database of one brand or another so understanding SQL is very valuable, as you said.

The most valuable skill for a data analyst that I've found is being able to tell a story about the data. Basically my job has been to look at spreadsheets and tell VPs with 5 braincells what it all means. Being able to make pretty and easy-to-understand graphs out of big data sets is super useful for this. Excel, Google Sheets, Tableu, whatever the platform is you're comfortable with, get used to being able to point at a line and say "this is good" and "this is bad" and why. Learning to speak in corporate buzzwords helps a lot too, as that's the language the people you'll be reporting up to speak for everything.

Having a good understanding of the trends and history of whatever data you're analyzing helps a lot with that too. For instance I know that rap albums tend to sell/stream better in NYC, LA, Atlanta then places like Nashville or Tampa. It really doesn't have to be deeper than that when you start, just being exposed to the data over and over will teach you about whatever industry over time, and any entry-level position won't expect much more of you than that.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sent

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Zurtilik posted:

To be honest I'm mostly looking for advice for moving forward in the next 6 months to a year, but if you read this and think I could potentially fill a WFH opening then please feel free to pass it on! (I'm located in Kentucky!)

My background since college (BS (lol) in Poli Sci) has been mostly insurance claims and then recently I started working for a loan finance company. I've always toyed with getting something more computer toucher focused and obtained an A+ Cert recently as a sort of trial to see if I could still learn and cared enough to learn still, I guess I do because I did a pretty good job passing it! (Yeehaw!)

Anyway, I've been considering a focus on Data Analyst/Data Administration type work. My current job has me doing some basic SQL queries and also doing queries in iSeries. Previous work had me keeping up with data and files in all manner of proprietary and company tailored software.

SQL is the skill I always hear as being the big basic building block for Data Admin. But what does that look like as far as me learning it? Like I said I've been building relatively basic queries through work, but it seems like a lot of the skillsets people are really looking for has to do more with maintaining SQL servers. What's the best way to really go about adequately building experience with that and is there a good way to really show something like the off to a potential employer? It doesn't seem like it's something I can quite just cram on a Github or what have you?

If you want to focus more on the data analysis side, it would be a good idea to pick up expertise in one or more BI tool like tableau or power bi. When we've got good analyst candidates in the interview process that have similar levels of SQL knowledge the tiebreaker is whether or not they have experience with visualization software.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

yea im on it trust me. I'm gonna sit through the rest of their training because they will pay me eventually, and I'm not doing poo poo else, and new job should start in a couple weeks so i may as well

gently caress this job. they hosed around and now they will find out.

wait…you still haven’t been paid?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

wait…you still haven’t been paid?

This goon will start getting paid at his new job :radcat:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They finally did pay us a whole week late without ever having said a single word to us about it. Not even 'hey, we know your paycheck is late, we're working on it'. Nothing. No "hey sorry your paycheck was late" either. Just total silence.

I'd feel a little bad about soaking hours in the training until the new job started if they hadn't dicked me around like that. Next friday at the end of the day I'm just gonna ask the trainer to go into a breakout room so I can ask how to send this computer they sent me back, because I ain't comin back.

Honestly it's for the best that they did it because it pushed me to say gently caress it and jump ship and I'm glad I did. It seems like an actually good company to work for from everything I have seen and heard about it so far, and I've even googled around looking for people bitching. They have surprisingly high employee satisfaction and I mostly see posts of people being like 'yea, I referred my family members too so now we all work here, and also my dad's worked here for 15 years' or some poo poo like that.

Companies that understand the value of happy employees are loving rare and it seems like we've found our way into one, and if that's the case then I could see both my wife and I staying here for many years. It makes me want my type-A personality obsessiveness to activate and really try to gas my metrics and do my actual best at the job.

empty whippet box has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Sep 24, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

They finally did pay us a whole week late without ever having said a single word to us about it. Not even 'hey, we know your paycheck is late, we're working on it'. Nothing. No "hey sorry your paycheck was late" either. Just total silence.

I'd feel a little bad about soaking hours in the training until the new job started if they hadn't dicked me around like that. Next friday at the end of the day I'm just gonna ask the trainer to go into a breakout room so I can ask how to send this computer they sent me back, because I ain't comin back.

Honestly it's for the best that they did it because it pushed me to say gently caress it and jump ship and I'm glad I did. It seems like an actually good company to work for from everything I have seen and heard about it so far, and I've even googled around looking for people bitching. They have surprisingly high employee satisfaction and I mostly see posts of people being like 'yea, I referred my family members too so now we all work here, and also my dad's worked here for 15 years' or some poo poo like that.

Companies that understand the value of happy employees are loving rare and it seems like we've found our way into one, and if that's the case then I could see both my wife and I staying here for many years. It makes me want my type-A personality obsessiveness to activate and really try to gas my metrics and do my actual best at the job.

I mean I've said it before here, but I've run payroll for 11 years now, and I've never screwed up an entire payroll. I've made a few individual mistakes here and there, but I always give the employee the option to wait for the next payroll or if they need an individual payment same day.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

any resources for writing computer toucher resumes and getting back up to speed after a long uh hiatus. ive been out of work for just a little longer than covid has been raging, so just about two years now. i had to walk from my last remote webtoucher job after almost a decade due to a long history of missed paydates and constantly getting ghosted by my boss that was causing significant hardship both financially and mentally. i have little to nothing to show from it in the way of projects, clients, networking so i've been having a tough time finding work even though i had semi-decent chops. I pretty much gave up looking for work halfway through 2020 after months of no interviews or any communication beyond an occasional rejection.

anyway i need work soon so if yall know anything i should do to help me get back up to speed skills wise and any leads on some kind of remote computer/web touching job would be appreciated. i would even accept something in that realm even if the pay is modest. It's more important that I have money coming in at this point. I got a decade of remote work experience under my belt doing webdev, mostly through CMS like DNN & WordPress. Lots of experience programming in C#/.NET, PHP, SQL anything from custom integrations to standalone bespoke apps and services. I also handled servers/hosting, e-mail, migrations, client support and maintenance. Basically CTO/IT/Lead dev/Support in one. did not get paid well unfortunately. no formal education just a long history of google and throwing myself at it over and over again.

appreciate any help.

edit: guess i should mention i am in NC

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Sep 28, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

go to the computer toucher forum. theres a yospos interview thread, i think theres a resume one somewhere too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966

include your skills at the top, followed by jobs history. match the job posting skills to the resume, its easy with computers.

for example heres a zillow posting for an android dev i just copied off indeed:

quote:

3+ years of software development experience

You are proficient with an object-oriented language like Java, Kotlin, or C#.

You thrive in a fast, agile, and multi-functional team environment

Experience in developing mobile software applications (side-projects included) preferred.

You demonstrate excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills and are passionate about mobile app development.

You hold a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience

Here at Zillow - we value the experience and perspective of candidates with non-traditional backgrounds. We encourage you to apply if you have transferable skills or related experiences.

so put
  • Java
  • Kotlin
  • C#
  • Object Oriented Design
  • Agile Methodoligies

etc, at the top. then describe some apps/projects youve made and your job responsibilities.

you can just take the skills straight from the posting and make sure they're mostly all on your resume. if you aren't actually familiar with the buzzword just google it, if it's a library you can probably just download it and gently caress around with it's samples enough to be able to talk about it for the 10 minutes an interview requires. make a toy project if you don't feel comfortable enough to put it on the resume.

recruiters are just trying to match words on the posting to resumes and most of the time don't know what the tech the words are for even is. if you have some experience it's a real meat market out there really, you'll get bombarded with recruiter emails with the right combination of buzzwords on your linkedin.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
What if all my programming is more or less hobby and if they were to ask a skills test during an interview I’d have to google a couple things first

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Also thanks everyone so much for the help + this thread

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I need some advice for resume writing that’s not quite enough to actually engage a resume service: how do I list multiple patents?

I’ve got 7 granted and 2 pending patents at my current work. Most online resources say to list the full title of the patent and the patent number but if I listed the titles but those will be like a full quarter page and that’s excessive.

Do I just list “7 patents granted, 2 pending related to <job/project>”

Do I just list the numbers?

Do I say “I got patents yo, email me for details?”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Korean Boomhauer posted:

What if all my programming is more or less hobby and if they were to ask a skills test during an interview I’d have to google a couple things first

depends on the interviews. I've done some where I could google stuff during. have you ever completed a hobby project? slap it on there. lots of pro software peeps taught themselves from hobby work first. just interview some places and waste their time who cares they ve certainly interviewed worse

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Zurtilik posted:

I work as a senior data scientist but have in the past held titles like research assistant, data analyst, quantitative strategist, data engineer. While some are more focused in certain areas they all are like a huge venn diagram of overlapping responsibilities. Currently i work closely with our R&D folks, DBA's, and data analysts. For breaking into any of these roles, I would echo what others have said: be competent in SQL, learn to at least understand Python (not necessarily writing full stack poo poo from scratch but be able to read and understand source code), and Tableau (or some other BI tool, if you learn one you can learn any of them. I've jackknifed between tableau, quicksight, and useless proprietary ones).

If you are learning SQL or python, learn the basics but don't set some unobtainable level of competency for yourself. Everyone in these roles is just googling and searching stack overflow constantly. The most important part is learning how to learn those things on the fly and being able to troubleshoot what you don't know.

also don't fret not having some specific degree. my masters is in psychology and i practiced as a clinician for like 2 years lol. however that was intensely research focused and led me down a winding path of doing more and more intricate research until i'm here for some reason.

Danger has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Sep 29, 2021

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Danger posted:

Everyone in these roles is just googling and searching stack overflow constantly. The most important part is learning how to learn those things on the fly and being able to troubleshoot what you don't know.

this is super reassuring to me because i can read and debug (a bunch of stuff but especially) python really well but i have to look up stuff sometimes and it makes me feel dumb lmao. maybe i should try my hand at some entry level programming gigs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

been doing some reading about Utah labor laws.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title34/Chapter28/34-28-S3.html?v=C34-28-S3_2014040320140513

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title34/Chapter28/34-28-S9.html

The pay period ended on the 10th.

this seems to say that they now owe me 5% of the late wages extra, with 2.5% going to the state.

Guess how tomorrow's training zoom is going to start.

I feel like this is worth posting here because people should know about these sorts of laws.

I filed a labor board complaint when NTT Data switched payroll to a different vendor, people were getting hours dropped if not blown paychecks. HR was bumbling as usual, and then we went in house during this period as preplanned, so we weren’t around to wait for them to fix it.

I got 6000 bucks because they also were super late with my last check and vacation payout. I dealt with their lawyer out of Boston and we settled for the amount owed, since CA doesn’t accept excuses in lieu of payment. Probably didn’t make sense to fly her all the way out here just to get dunked on since there isn’t even an argument they can make.

I had drag my dopey coworkers kicking and screaming into filing, even after I got mad money out of it. My supervisor was the most hesistant, but when he finally did it he got 11,000 bucks. I collectively got over 20000 out of that loving company between all my coworkers, and my supervisor said that the labor board had an unusually large file for NTT data

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Korean Boomhauer posted:

this is super reassuring to me because i can read and debug (a bunch of stuff but especially) python really well but i have to look up stuff sometimes and it makes me feel dumb lmao. maybe i should try my hand at some entry level programming gigs

I will just put in the caveat that I can read source code just fine but most of my job is focused on using Python for statistical modeling and building pipelines for integration. But, working closely with developers, I can attest that they also google poo poo constantly.

edit: But also never decide not to apply somewhere because you are missing some dipshit qualification on a resume. Most of the time the people who write those either aren't going to pay what their worth anyways or actually have no idea what the job requires.

Danger has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

its somewhat of an open secret but also 100% necessary - nobody except ultranerds and p-zombies remember every single detail of a particular language, framework, etc. ive dove into lots of legacy and greenfield projects knowing very little about the architecture, language, etc and muddled through it by googling. obviously anything you arent doing regularly youll have to refresh yourself on from time to time. clients and management just want it done and usually dont care too much about how you're arriving there.

having some understanding of computer science and general programming patterns/paradigms goes a long way here.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 29, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if anyone is looking for customer service work, there are tons of really good 100% remote/wfh listings right now, check out https://www.ratracerebellion.com and if you have any questions about the process ask me, cuz i'm basically an expert

i'm about to start a really nice gig with Humana Healthcare that has crazy good starting pay and day 1 healthcare bennies

most of these companies are hiring en masse and filtering people who can't cut it, so your resume doesn't matter a ton (unless you're trying to get a more involved/higher paying type of remote customer service job)

if you have any customer service on your resume you're probably golden, even if its retail, if you can hack these types of gigs, the benefits are usually worth the hassle (you really need to be able to compartmentalize and be super comfy on the phones, but hey, the only way to get there is to do the work)

most of the companies provide equipment for you to use (dell thin clients and 1-2 monitors, and a headset), but they usually require you to be able to hardwire into your modem (pro tip: using your computer's ethernet port as a "modem" is usually invisible to systems checks as an ordinary wired connection [look up bridging])

smarxist has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Oct 3, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

smarxist posted:

most of the companies provide equipment for you to use (dell thin clients and 1-2 monitors, and a headset), but they usually require you to be able to hardwire into your modem (pro tip: using your computer's ethernet port as a "modem" is usually invisible to systems checks as an ordinary wired connection [look up bridging])

Out of curiosity is this something where they don't want to be behind your router? Or are they just wanting a wired connection for better phone calls?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Out of curiosity is this something where they don't want to be behind your router? Or are they just wanting a wired connection for better phone calls?

stability / ping is probably one aspect, because taking live phone calls while on a virtual desktop can take up a decent amount of bandwidth. i think security as well, so that customer and proprietary information isn't beaming around over wifi in your immediate area (even with encryption)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hello thread, my wife and i are seeking wfh work and aren't sure where to start. my job is trying to axe wfh options at the moment, and my wife has an awful grocery job where management foists all the responsibilities onto her, to the point where she seriously injured her back. so we're both on leave until the end of november, and that's our deadline to find other work. i'm homeschooling my kids at the moment, so ideally i'd like a job that didn't start until the afternoon, or has some degree of flexibility with regard to schedule.

i've got a lot of experience working in higher education, and an MPA that i earned early in 2016 with the intention of fixing government from the inside in order to help out my fellow man (:rubby:). my wife's got a BA and she's always excelled at her work, but she's concerned about the several-year-gap on her resume from when she had to quit work in order to raise our kids, because childcare is a money hole

is there somewhere i can get resume help? i've got mine updated, but i haven't been able to land a good job with my resumes, so i'm assuming it needs revisions

p.s. thanks for your pm business gorillas. sorry i fell out of contact, the last month has been a mad dash of trying to get homeschooling up and off the ground

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

hello thread, my wife and i are seeking wfh work and aren't sure where to start. my job is trying to axe wfh options at the moment, and my wife has an awful grocery job where management foists all the responsibilities onto her, to the point where she seriously injured her back. so we're both on leave until the end of november, and that's our deadline to find other work. i'm homeschooling my kids at the moment, so ideally i'd like a job that didn't start until the afternoon, or has some degree of flexibility with regard to schedule.

i've got a lot of experience working in higher education, and an MPA that i earned early in 2016 with the intention of fixing government from the inside in order to help out my fellow man (:rubby:). my wife's got a BA and she's always excelled at her work, but she's concerned about the several-year-gap on her resume from when she had to quit work in order to raise our kids, because childcare is a money hole

is there somewhere i can get resume help? i've got mine updated, but i haven't been able to land a good job with my resumes, so i'm assuming it needs revisions

p.s. thanks for your pm business gorillas. sorry i fell out of contact, the last month has been a mad dash of trying to get homeschooling up and off the ground

i somehow lost the pm i sent you to see what was going on (shoulda fixed pm's instead of snorting pills and beating your wife, lowtax), but i can do a once-over of your resume if you need it. check the OP for a rundown of what i'm looking for in an email

PS: depending on what state you're in, i can probably work with your wife on a JOB! that will look good on her resume. we can talk details in the pm's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm leaving my position soon for a higher level one, and want to let goons know about the coming vacancy before anyone else. Its requires a sorta very specific person but maybe a goon is that person!

The position is with the California Air National Guard as a Title 5 Civilian. That means you are in no way IN the CANG, are not expected to do any military poo poo, are not deployable, etc etc. It also means full benefits, government pension, TSP, and all that. This is not a contractor position, but a full time no-poo poo employee. Our tower is on the opposite side of the flightline from the military folk (who are, honestly, barely military themselves), and you won't have to interact with them too much.

The actual job is known as ATCALS maintenance, Nav-Comm, Tech-Ops, RAWS or whichever name is in vogue at the moment. We maintain a single, small airport in the south bay of the San Francisco area. We have ILS, TACAN, CM-200s, FDIO, ETVS, and other smaller systems. Apart from me, there is one other tech and the chief of maintenance. We have a very close relationship with the controllers, and things are extremely chill here. We've even managed to get some WFH going.

Pay is the GS-11 scale + 44% locality pay. There is also a retention bonus that is constantly getting hosed with each yeah, but is usually another $600 a month / $5000-7000 a year.

Position is not posted and announced to USAJobs yet, but will be hopefully soon. I think there may be restrictions on who can apply (no straight civilians); but if you are qualified to work on the equipment and know what the gently caress it is chances are you meet the requirements. Thats typically prior military or the FAA (who is usually prior military).

Feel free to PM me on SA; I'll see it quickly since I spend so much of work time on the forums (Its loving CHILL, man). Please reach out to me if you have any interest or questions. I'm not the hiring manager but my opinion will carry a lot of weight on the process.