Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

any resources for writing computer toucher resumes and getting back up to speed after a long uh hiatus. ive been out of work for just a little longer than covid has been raging, so just about two years now. i had to walk from my last remote webtoucher job after almost a decade due to a long history of missed paydates and constantly getting ghosted by my boss that was causing significant hardship both financially and mentally. i have little to nothing to show from it in the way of projects, clients, networking so i've been having a tough time finding work even though i had semi-decent chops. I pretty much gave up looking for work halfway through 2020 after months of no interviews or any communication beyond an occasional rejection.

anyway i need work soon so if yall know anything i should do to help me get back up to speed skills wise and any leads on some kind of remote computer/web touching job would be appreciated. i would even accept something in that realm even if the pay is modest. It's more important that I have money coming in at this point. I got a decade of remote work experience under my belt doing webdev, mostly through CMS like DNN & WordPress. Lots of experience programming in C#/.NET, PHP, SQL anything from custom integrations to standalone bespoke apps and services. I also handled servers/hosting, e-mail, migrations, client support and maintenance. Basically CTO/IT/Lead dev/Support in one. did not get paid well unfortunately. no formal education just a long history of google and throwing myself at it over and over again.

appreciate any help.

edit: guess i should mention i am in NC

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Korean Boomhauer posted:

this is super reassuring to me because i can read and debug (a bunch of stuff but especially) python really well but i have to look up stuff sometimes and it makes me feel dumb lmao. maybe i should try my hand at some entry level programming gigs

its somewhat of an open secret but also 100% necessary - nobody except ultranerds and p-zombies remember every single detail of a particular language, framework, etc. ive dove into lots of legacy and greenfield projects knowing very little about the architecture, language, etc and muddled through it by googling. obviously anything you arent doing regularly youll have to refresh yourself on from time to time. clients and management just want it done and usually dont care too much about how you're arriving there.

having some understanding of computer science and general programming patterns/paradigms goes a long way here.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Sep 29, 2021