Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

from what i understand hasan is a DSA guy who plays video games on tv. seems like a pretty dumb thing imo

There was a tweet thread I saw that compared him to lenin, marx, engels, che, and nkrumah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

which is weird for the giant streamers because the chat becomes this hive-mind. even if i'm watching hasan i'd never type anything

there are streamers like woodworking and other hobbyists or travelers with just a couple hundred viewers and they'll read every drat thing you put in there. it's a lot of fun to ask them about tools/techniques. one guy biking around the world takes lunch suggestions from people who know the area

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

never seen his show but after seeing his pics: would

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1430739538075426818

getting dunked on by Chelsea manning lol

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

better than john oliver, sucks he got cancelled for talking about modi

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

he's alright except when he pussied out and apologized for saying the us deserved 9/11

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I do not get twitch and why you would watch anything on twitch much less some guy rambling on about the dsa or whatever the gently caress for hours but I guess its better than watching a guy play video games on there? or maybe its worse? dont understand it at all op it seems like a massive waste of time to me

the only thing I know about hasan is that all his fans are young kids

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
he's hot and i like his podcast

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There was a tweet thread I saw that compared him to lenin, marx, engels, che, and nkrumah.

lol

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/AnaKasparian/status/1430161714159362048?s=20

shes ashamed of it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I do not get twitch and why you would watch anything on twitch much less some guy rambling on about the dsa or whatever the gently caress for hours but I guess its better than watching a guy play video games on there? or maybe its worse? dont understand it at all op it seems like a massive waste of time to me

the only thing I know about hasan is that all his fans are young kids

no he rambles about the dsa while playing video games. he is a millionaire for this.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I guess the joke's on me then because I can yell about dsa and play video games but haven't been able to turn that into millions

Still totally mind boggling to me that people enjoy this stuff though. I get if you are insanely invested in esports (lol) or whatever you could appreciate video gamers you followed like it was spring training or whatever but why would you watch if you're not all in on that stuff? Like if you went to someone's place and they just talked at you and played video games while you sat there and watched you'd never go back. or at least I wouldn't. I don't know man I guess this is what getting old is. millions of people love this stuff and watch it every day and it just feels like the biggest, stupidest waste of time ever to me. at least watching paint dry would give you a chance to meditate and introspect but this stuff just fills all your channels with noise. don't get it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

yes its freaking nuts that people would enjoy a format thats just a charismatic guy bullshitting about news and wacky things for several hours. no comparable form of media like this has ever existed

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

You just kinda chill and listen to someone shoot the poo poo while playing a game, sometimes the game makes a funny goof happen like the horse clip up thread. You don't seem chill so maybe that's the issue.

Hasan's mostly harmless. Kinda dumb, but he's hot and is mostly not a poo poo person so it's cool he's drawing people in on twitch instead of the weird libertarian goblins like Destiny or Vaush or the previous generation of pervert youtubers like Sargon.

I mean I don't pay him money, but good for him being able to buy his family a big house from just shooting the poo poo.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if hasan is funny and insightful more power to him. "a guy bullshitting" is like 90% of all podcasts so I guess I understand that aspect of it in as much as it is something to listen to while you go about your day or whatever but the twitch format seems so rambling and unstructured to me that I don't really get the appeal.

the thing that I really just can't get my mind around, though, is the video games part. I still cannot fathom why you'd want to sit down in front of your computer and watch some guy play minecraft for six hours but apparently this is like the #1 activity of every person under the age of 20. wouldn't you just want to go play minecraft? like I said maybe this is just me getting old and losing touch with the culture. maybe if I had a peer group that loved and talked about the minecraft guys all the time I'd feel differently. I don't know, its just not for me.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the thing that I really just can't get my mind around, though, is the video games part. I still cannot fathom why you'd want to sit down in front of your computer and watch some guy play minecraft for six hours but apparently this is like the #1 activity of every person under the age of 20. wouldn't you just want to go play minecraft? like I said maybe this is just me getting old and losing touch with the culture. maybe if I had a peer group that loved and talked about the minecraft guys all the time I'd feel differently. I don't know, its just not for me.

honestly its the DSA stuff that is the most embarrassing

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

I guess the joke's on me then because I can yell about dsa and play video games but haven't been able to turn that into millions

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The thing about "why would you wanna watch someone play games" is I don't think hardly anyone does that by itself. I used to have a tedious office job and would put Hasan on my third monitor, or I'd have him on while I'm browsing SA or playing a game at home. It's not really designed to captivate 100% of your attention. Matt Christman describes it as a friendship simulator. It's kinda like having a funny coworker who never shuts up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sometimes professors put their office hours on twitch; i used to listen to a lot of physics and astronomy in the background

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

here this video explains him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lVd6OyE2bw

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/InfraredClips/status/1429789599153467402?s=20

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I dunno but lol at left Twitter claiming he enslaved his mom because he bought the house he was renting for his family

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Danger posted:

I dunno but lol at left Twitter claiming he enslaved his mom because he bought the house he was renting for his family

left discourse must get loving rid of twitter if it ever wants to prosper jesus loving christ

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
He once read a chat message I posted so we are best friends now and I'm going to go to his house to tell him I love him and that we were meant to be together and if he doesn't marry me I'm going to threaten to self harm until he marries me

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Danger posted:

bro people are posting on this forum saying that lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lady Militant posted:

bro people are posting on this forum saying that lmfao

Where?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

you old as gently caress, my man - this is boomer poo poo... like, you're on a webforum that has had a dedicated Lets Play subforum for.... 2 decades now?

Do you think Guitar Hero is silly because its not 'playing real music' -- when its main purpose is to make you (and friends) feel like rock stars in a drunken party stupor?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

lets plays aren't really the same thing, I don't think. I mean given I don't really watch them at all but from what little I've seen usually people are making them to showcase an obscure or interesting game, or talk about its quirks or development, or whatever. I watched a dark souls one years ago when I didn't have an couldn't afford a console to see what all the excitement was about and the commentary was largely about strategy considerations and the developers' design choices and it was pretty good -- and, importantly, I could scrub through the boring parts

the guitar hero analogy makes no sense though. guitar hero is obviously a fun game to play with your friends. video games are a lot of fun, especially with your friends. the streamer thing, or rather the video game streamer thing, isn't like playing guitar hero with my friends. it's watching someone else play guitar hero with their friends. is it to make you feel like you've got friends? in that case it's extremely depressing considering how popular this stuff is. I mean even if these guys doing this stuff are insanely funny and make frickin' epic bantz all the time or whatever people like them for wouldn't you rather they just make a podcast so you can enjoy the jokes while doing literally anything other than watch someone else play a video game? that's the part that I don't get and is wildly unappealing to me.

i say swears online posted:

there are streamers like woodworking and other hobbyists or travelers with just a couple hundred viewers and they'll read every drat thing you put in there. it's a lot of fun to ask them about tools/techniques. one guy biking around the world takes lunch suggestions from people who know the area

this seems like a way better use of the streaming medium. I might try to track down one of these woodworking streams because being able to ask why they're doing Y instead of X on a build would be insanely useful. I'm all ears if you have any recommendations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Is this breadtube

Payment Day
May 12, 2018

by Hand Knit

tiberion02 posted:

you old as gently caress, my man - this is boomer poo poo... like, you're on a webforum that has had a dedicated Lets Play subforum for.... 2 decades now?

Do you think Guitar Hero is silly because its not 'playing real music' -- when its main purpose is to make you (and friends) feel like rock stars in a drunken party stupor?

The rock band keyboard has midi so you can use it to play real fake instruments

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if capitalism wasnt so totalizing in its alienation more people would have productive and rewarding social lives and hasan would be out of work

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

if capitalism wasnt so totalizing in its alienation more people would have productive and rewarding social lives and hasan would be out of work

he does say this himself to be fair

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this seems like a way better use of the streaming medium. I might try to track down one of these woodworking streams because being able to ask why they're doing Y instead of X on a build would be insanely useful. I'm all ears if you have any recommendations.

https://twitch.tv/hitch
hitch is biking across newfoundland and labrador at the moment, he's got a new setup so the audio isn't ideal

https://twitch.tv/finaolive
gulf shark fisherman, good camera but not very lively commentary

https://twitch.tv/broxh_
maori woodworker, nicest guy on the planet, cool accent

https://twitch.tv/wildearth
live safaris on nature reserves in botswana and south africa with camera-switching to active sites. really neat saturday-morning content

https://twitch.tv/donutkingtv
donuts every night

https://twitch.tv/agendafreetv
nonpartisan breaking news, he takes twitter tips and is generally a speedy source for natural disasters

https://twitch.tv/mr_horologist
watch repair, great camera angles if you like gears

there's definitely good stuff out there, but i'd say 95% of channels are garbage

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is this breadtube

Hasan is breadtube

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

thank you for this!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Has anyone posted his big body little head pics? It's kinda like that one dudes avatar getting smaller and smaller but irl

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

drat why didn't hasan gentrify a poor ethnic neighborhood

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

MLSM posted:

Hasan is breadtube

Now I hate him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can we please turn attention to the real internet himbo, Tony Santoro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU