Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, because it seems to me that there's so very very little anime and manga that feature bisexual characters?

I know, demographically speaking, we probably make up the smallest percentage - but it seems if there is a bisexual character in a manga, it's at best a friend of the protagonist or something similar, and they never seem to actually end up with someone.

Not that I in any way, shape or form don't like reading gay, lesbian, transgender, queer, or straight manga - I just wish there was more that included bisexual characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Space Flower posted:

if you're just looking for bi chars who are featured at all i can really say is i think you encounter them a lot in the wild, so to speak. but while i'd call it common there's absolutely a shortage of introspectives on the subject; it's rarely a character focus and even less so crucial to the main plot. so it's hard to find a lot of anime/manga to go into for its bisexuality specifically and i just end up latching onto random character moments like the aoki ume contribution to an azumanga daioh guest anthology with a pun on the japanese meaning of 'viking' (it's what they call a buffet)

I mean, sure, that's an excellent example of it being a minor trait - and in so far as it doesn't really change who the character is, it's good.
I do think you're onto something, though - I think what I want is more introspective stuff.
Though since I also really like puns, that one is definitely very good.

Thuryl posted:

time to recommend Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku again. the main characters are two bi disasters and a trans lesbian (also a disaster)
I guess I'd also kinda prefer it to not be disasters, and have the characters have a happy end.
I guess it's a lot to ask.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lih posted:

i think there's bi characters often enough in yuri these days, but their bisexuality is usually not much of a focal point even if it's a major character
There really isn't, unless you're talking about the platonic love portrayals that sometimes gets tagged as 'shoujo ai'.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:ninja:EDIT: Actually, I'll respond to this conversation in the new thread once it gets created.