Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, because it seems to me that there's so very very little anime and manga that feature bisexual characters?

I know, demographically speaking, we probably make up the smallest percentage - but it seems if there is a bisexual character in a manga, it's at best a friend of the protagonist or something similar, and they never seem to actually end up with someone.

Not that I in any way, shape or form don't like reading gay, lesbian, transgender, queer, or straight manga - I just wish there was more that included bisexual characters.
This is kind of a function of the bl/yuri 'genres.' On one hand them being genres allows for way more works in their field and an inbuilt audience that can follow the beats and tropes, and a very solid history to play around with, crib from, and reference, which are all healthy things for art to have, but on the other hand them being 'the gay' and 'the lesbian' genre means that they don't get into the 'gray areas,' as it were, much.

like space said this is something that's more common in stuff that isn't specifically about 'being gay/gay romances.' a ton of fate/ and type moon characters are bi, for instance, like alexander and gil from fate/zero. heck, theres an argument to be made that shirou, the protag of f/sn, is bi, given some of his interactions with his male best friend and a few bits in spinoff material, but obviously that isnt a major component of fsn itself. fate/grand order actually does get into it a little bit, medb's bi arc is one of the more subtle bits of characterization in the game, but you and i both have better things to do with our lives than play a gacha game for bi representation, even if it is kinda cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

if prism werent cancelled it wouldve delivered us the drunken bi teacher content
prism being cancelled was homophobia

blue flag has some bi characters but i didnt really like blue flag's ending. shame cause some of the chapters early on were good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

anyway i believe bees is still going to want the old thread closed even when it comes back. i can make an OP for a new one if Julia plans to close this one too, probably be best to have the OP by someone who posted in the thread regularly and I posted way too much so...
oh yeah having a new thread is fine, the old ones been around for like two? years?