Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

welcome to the NEW lgbt thread. this is a chat thread for da gays and people who want to talk about lgbt manga/anime/etc. in practice this means there is a lot of crossover with the shoujo thread. but this is a more casual chat style thread so there are less things off topic— like we started discussing horror movies a bit last thread and it prob come up again.

You don't have to be a card carrying homo to post here but no performative allyship, people got weird last thread. Avoid posting personal details, LGBT threads have been targeted by offsites before. Be mindful of what ya link, most series have tags on them but if you think the tags don't cover content that can be triggering or you think it should especially be noted do so. Try to avoid going too guns ablazin on everything you disagree with. Everyone who posts here is likely going to be passionate about lgbt meda and its probable they're lgbt themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a6Wqq4zifw

this thread was sponsored by Lady in Mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i thought about using the second post here to be a list of recs from people in the thread but i decided against it. i think it would be a good idea for the first few pages though if anyone wants to rec stuff in general to do so since this is what people are going to see first when they click the thread.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I honestly wish there was more outright trans rep in anime and manga. Maybe I’ve just been missing it, but most of the non-cisnormative rep is couched in “haha gender-nonconforming presentation but nope actually definitely a boy!!”. Which is all well and good, GNC rep is important, but we’re just outright rare in comparison.

It actually kinda bugs me, and I think a lot of it is authors either being too scared to fully commit, or chasing some fetishistic 4chan-style fad. Cause I know for a fact that there’s Japanese trans people, so it’s not some ethnocentric “this concept doesn’t exist in the East” bullshit.

The trans/GNC rep we do get is often of the idealistic anime waifu garbage nature too. I’d really love to see more realistic, non-turbofemme rep. Gimme some bikers or programmers or something (not biased, I promise). Double House and Shimanami Tasogare were great about this sort of thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pollyanna posted:

I honestly wish there was more outright trans rep in anime and manga. Maybe I’ve just been missing it, but most of the non-cisnormative rep is couched in “haha gender-nonconforming presentation but nope actually definitely a boy!!”. Which is all well and good, GNC rep is important, but we’re just outright rare in comparison.

It actually kinda bugs me, and I think a lot of it is authors either being too scared to fully commit, or chasing some fetishistic 4chan-style fad. Cause I know for a fact that there’s Japanese trans people, so it’s not some ethnocentric “this concept doesn’t exist in the East” bullshit.

The trans/GNC rep we do get is often of the idealistic anime waifu garbage nature too. I’d really love to see more realistic, non-turbofemme rep. Gimme some bikers or programmers or something (not biased, I promise). Double House and Shimanami Tasogare were great about this sort of thing.

i mean i think its getting better over the years. i dunno, i don't think its exactly fair to say people are scared to commit or are chasing "fads" like the video I link in the OP there mangaka wrote something kinda problematic but like you watch it and you are like "well this does seem like it came out of their own dysphoria." like there can be complexities with this stuff, still sucks though.

e: also im annoyed with you because of the programmers meme >:i

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 26, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need to catch up on Brother's Wife but it seems like whoever does it these days doesn't update it on Mangadex.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its on dynasty reader

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister
Manga is a market-driven medium, unfortunately, so you're simply not gonna see a lot of trans stuff other than indie/self-published work.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Pollyanna posted:

Have you watched zombieland saga? I thought they did a really good job.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Completely unrelated to anything else, I'm very much a fan of the art style used for the picture in the OP - the full image definitely has some possibilities for being embiggened with neural networks, so that it can be used for a poster.

Alright, so continuing a conversation from the intermediary thread:

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean it does pop up but its often like something that gets mention about the character like once initially. there was just a character in whispering you a love song but she showed up like 2 chapters so didn't felt worth mentioning but it wasn't really a minor thing with her and she was in a relationship. for an on going thing i would argue for Ise-san and Shima-san which had a whole chapter dedicated to the one lady being into a dude but i guess people would call the main relationship subtext even though the author is posting tweets of her gnawing on the lady character when drunk.

i think it pops up way more in like, stuff trying to depict the actual reality of being lgbt then the typical romance thing. also i get the impression i see it more in korean stuff too for whatever reason? like the initial premise of It Would be Great if You Didn't Exist is the two ladies end up dating each other after their discover their lovely boyfriend has been cheating on them with the other and both realizing they find the other hot.
I get what you're saying, but I think there's a difference between "I've been with men and now I'm with a woman for the first time and it's very different than it's been with any guy" and "I've been with both men and women before, and I like both".
The first can be interpreted to mean that it's just a person who's been in the closet so much that they've even been lying to themselves (which is sadly still a thing to this day), so it doesn't really strike me as the best example of a bisexual character, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Having said all of that though, I haven't actually read either of the ones you're talking about, because they're not yet completely scanlated/translated, and I like to read stories in one sitting (or as close to it as it's possible).
So I'm definitely looking forward to them.

As to you mentioning that it exists in manhwa, I just finished Ring My Bell, and it does also have a character who's into both women and men - but again, it's "just" a side character, and unless the author follows it up with another series focusing on the story of the side characters, it isn't exactly the kind of ending that I'd wish for, if I had a choice in the matter.

Pollyanna posted:

I just finished re-reading Usotsuki Lily and I feel like it's one of the better instances, but there's also Prunus Girl - but both of them aren't very new, so I get what you're saying, and I think it'd be good to have more of that too.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 26, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Have you watched zombieland saga? I thought they did a really good job.

I haven't watched S2, did they flesh out Lily further? If so, :bubblewoop:, but still falls under the overly anime clause.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Alright, so continuing a conversation from the intermediary thread:

I get what you're saying, but I think there's a difference between "I've been with men and now I'm with a woman for the first time and it's very different than it's been with any guy" and "I've been with both men and women before, and I like both".
The first can be interpreted to mean that it's just a person who's been in the closet so much that they've even been lying to themselves (which is sadly still a thing to this day), so it doesn't really strike me as the best example of a bisexual character, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Having said all of that though, I haven't actually read either of the ones you're talking about, because they're not yet completely scanlated/translated, and I like to read stories in one sitting (or as close to it as it's possible).
So I'm definitely looking forward to them.

As to you mentioning that it exists in manhwa, I just finished Ring My Bell, and it does also have a character who's into both women and men - but again, it's "just" a side character, and unless the author follows it up with another series focusing on the story of the side characters, it isn't exactly the kind of ending that I'd wish for, if I had a choice in the matter.

ahh yeah completely get that. i had it mind and i think the stuff i mention avoids that, i can't remember exactly how Would be Great went though. but like in this case the character in Love Song is a miss opportunity for another character, confesses she loved her too but she loves her current boyfriend so she isn't going to break up with him and turns her down but it ends amicably

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean i think its getting better over the years. i dunno, i don't think its exactly fair to say people are scared to commit or are chasing "fads" like the video I link in the OP there mangaka wrote something kinda problematic but like you watch it and you are like "well this does seem like it came out of their own dysphoria." like there can be complexities with this stuff, still sucks though.

I agree that it's complex, I just don't know what to think about a large contingent of people still being reliant on an characterization intermediary to separate themselves from the fact that presentation != identity != etc.

quote:

e: also im annoyed with you because of the programmers meme >:i

I said I wasn't biased!!!!!!!!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Program Me, while being rather fetishistic with some BDSM elements, features two programmers, although it's yuri.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just finished re-reading Usotsuki Lily and I feel like it's one of the better instances, but there's also Prunus Girl - but both of them aren't very new, so I get what you're saying, and I think it'd be good to have more of that too.

Usotsuki Lily is just het with crossdressing from what I remember.

I forgot about Prunus Girl, that's one decent too, but still a tad lacking. Prunus Girl is closer to the core of the conversation by explicitly saying it's about presentation and that the specific identity is not important, especially cause it makes a point of not trying to "reveal" any sort of truth. Also anime waifu.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Program Me, while being rather fetishistic with some BDSM elements, features two programmers.

they aren't trans... but i do like it yeah

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't watched S2, did they flesh out Lily further? If so, :bubblewoop:, but still falls under the overly anime clause.

I wish Lily had gotten more in S2, but her episode was in part about how she's fully comfortable with herself which I thought was a good message.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Usotsuki Lily is just het with crossdressing from what I remember.

I forgot about Prunus Girl, that's one decent too, but still a tad lacking. Prunus Girl is closer to the core of the conversation by explicitly saying it's about presentation and that the specific identity is not important, especially cause it makes a point of not trying to "reveal" any sort of truth. Also anime waifu.

Snooze Cruise posted:

they aren't trans... but i do like it yeah
Looking through the rather sparse list, I just realized that My Wife Is a Man finished very recently, and the tags are very powerful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just realized that My Wife Is a Man finished very recently, and the tags are very powerful.

Yeah but it's BL, not trans rep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

i mean, you can say the same thing about western media. i also question the use of 'anime waifu garbage' in this post

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just so sick of small and cute. Gimme someone that looks like I do :negative:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Windmill slam Tokyo Godfathers.
Probably also one of my all-time favorite movies.

Also, I just realize I completely missed the point of your post, and thought you were saying there should be more trap characters, so please feel free to call me an idiot, because I am one. :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wish there was more stuff like double house yeah but i do get a lot out of wish fulfillment stuff like this so i don't end up complaining much. also im hot irl so i don't get disappointed by them not looking like me cause im better lookin' B)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Windmill slam Tokyo Godfathers.
Probably also one of my all-time favorite movies.

Also, I just realize I completely missed the point of your post, and thought you were saying there should be more trap characters, so please feel free to call me an idiot, because I am one. :(

please lets make this the only instance of this word being used

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yyyyeah, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here cause it's still used when it REALLY shouldn't be, but as a trans person, don't use that word - it's been used against us in a negative fashion. That's why I use "gender-nonconforming-presenting individuals", cause so far there's no shorthand that hasn't been used in a hosed up fashion.

(F-boy is also in questionable standing, by the way.)

Snooze Cruise posted:

i wish there was more stuff like double house yeah but i do get a lot out of wish fulfillment stuff like this so i don't end up complaining much. also im hot irl so i don't get disappointed by them not looking like me cause im better lookin' B)

I used to be really into that stuff, like 2007-2008 era. It's been over 13 years since I transitioned and it all rings very...not hollow, but differently. Kinda like the change from the silver age to the dark age of comic books.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 26, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You know what, please probate me for that, that was unconscionable of me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think that one is fine? like the other thing implies trickery and predatory behavior and while what you are saying can be sexualized it does just read more on the face of it just describing "this is a nonconforming presentation"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

femboys... good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's fine, I forgive you. But do make note of the terminology's baggage.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think that one is fine? like the other thing implies trickery and predatory behavior and while what you are saying can be sexualized it does just read more on the face of it just describing "this is a nonconforming presentation"

I keep seeing less-savory parts of the internet use it in a fetishistic fashion, and I'm still :chloe: over its predecessor, so I tend to be a bit wary of the term. But the fact that it's used as an identity means I should be less lovely about it, I think. Okay, femboy is fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I appreciate that you give me the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that I don't feel like I deserve it - I know better, if I'd taken even a second to think about it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

There's some extremely good title gore in this collection - are they oneshots? Because if so, I'm gonna go read them right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how you feel about it is how you feel about it but theres no real need to be the gender police about it is my take. the yugioh cards with the pink borders is one thing because as mentioned the term itself inherently implies a kind of trickery but the fact is any term that refers to femme presented gay dudes is A) gonna be a 'successor' and B) is gonna be used in a fetishy way. at a certain point youre just moving deck chairs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

how you feel about it is how you feel about it but theres no real need to be the gender police about it is my take. the yugioh cards with the pink borders is one thing because as mentioned the term itself inherently implies a kind of trickery but the fact is any term that refers to femme presented gay dudes is A) gonna be a 'successor' and B) is gonna be used in a fetishy way. at a certain point youre just moving deck chairs.
I get your point, but I also don't think it's up to me to say how others should be represented - it's their voices that should be heard, not mine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I get your point, but I also don't think it's up to me to say how others should be represented - it's their voices that should be heard, not mine.
i get you feel bad but i wasnt replying to you and also you running down the apology tour checklist is kinda uncomfortable lol, like it feels very performative and at this point accounts for like 25% of the posts in this thread. just say 'sorry, my bad, wont happen again'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pollyanna posted:

I used to be really into that stuff, like 2007-2008 era. It's been over 13 years since I transitioned and it all rings very...not hollow, but differently. Kinda like the change from the silver age to the dark age of comic books.

i really want to make fun of you for the comic books comparison here you dork.
but yeah i do understand that. something bothers me, which you are not doing tbc, is when some trans people imply like everyone is going to grow out of liking stuff like this once they transition. i understand where it comes from since, it may be seen as more fetishistic and i think people inherently want to get away from that since a line used by TERFs is all of this is just a fetish.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

i get you feel bad but i wasnt replying to you and also you running down the apology tour checklist is kinda uncomfortable lol, like it feels very performative and at this point accounts for like 25% of the posts in this thread. just say 'sorry, my bad, wont happen again'
:emptyquote:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Endorph posted:

femboys... good

:yeah:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im going to do some quick general recs since nobody else is doing them, sob sob
its going to be all yuri because that is mostly what i read

Amano Shuninta's Sweet Guilty Love Bites. About a group of hostesses. Short and sweet, multiple couples.
Octave tends to be a classic go to recommendation on here, but for good reason. Its weird and introspective, and the author's recent one shots have been really good.
Still Sick... is still sick! Read Still Sick. It has OLs and they draw gay manga and stuff.

Some ongoing stuff

tmfly's So Do You Want To Go Out Or. Its good. Read it. its good. Read it.
Ise-san and Shima-san. Its tag as subtext but the one lady is straight up comes out of the closet and the author is drawing art of the other one gnawing on her affectionately when she gets drunk so...Its a cute series I like it
only two chapters so far but Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki has some really attractive art, the premise has been solid, and i have high hopes for it[/url]

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

Snooze Cruise posted:

tmfly's So Do You Want To Go Out Or. Its good. Read it. its good. Read it.

Also want to mention that Lydia and I are back on the grind irt translating it. Please look forward to more!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ive been bamboozled

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wait why is the other thread disappeared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bees asked for it to be removed, it sounds like it will be moved back but will remain closed