Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kodansha do an english print run of Teppu you loving cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
sadly, its dead, and will never be resurrected nor paid tribute to. gone but not forgotten, amen

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

Kodansha do an english print run of Teppu you loving cowards

I think they (correctly) assume it won’t sell enough to be worth it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

Read through all current issues of My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up with a Mythical Sorceress! this weekend. It's a popcorn read! Shonen fantasy setting where the main character sets out to literally fight the patriarchy -- I think I would've personally preferred more romance, but I'll forgive it a lot of sins for the the mid-series shot of Laplace not-proposing to Tanya

I remember reading the LN (the first of the two books, anyway) under its Yeb Press release- Sexiled, which is a goofy name but if every isikai-paragraph book title would get a goofy marketing short-name I'd be tricked into reading more isikai-grade books- and liking the mc being a complete firebrand whose character establishing moment is vaporising a mountain with a swear-laden-incanted Ultima but having hid my fill of it when every male character was just the same cockbag.

I get thats is the point but it just got tiresome.

Maybe it works better as a comic and reading it whilst being Non-Binary?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 22, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

With this we now can have a Mount Rushmore of mixer related yuri series

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

hell yeah i've been replaying technic recently

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

hell yeah i've been replaying technic recently

i dont know what this means minecraft doesnt actually give me serotonin

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's too bad op, Minecraft is the good poo poo as far as video games go.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
minecraft just gives me motion sickness

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just want to say I appreciate this thread, every time I come here I get lots of new things to check out.

I just finished Mage & Demon Queen and it was a delight.

Ohtori Akio posted:

i dont know what this means minecraft doesnt actually give me serotonin

It's a modpack that adds lots of machines, automated factories, etc. For people like me who are like "what if Minecraft was more like Factorio?"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
New Princess of Syph dropped.
Will be interesting to see how these new characters fit in with the later events we saw in the twitter version.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Snooze Cruise posted:

New Princess of Syph dropped.
Will be interesting to see how these new characters fit in with the later events we saw in the twitter version.

I'm on board. This woman is objectively in the right.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

New series in the hobby yuri mold. But this one is cooler because the hobby in question is going to different baseball stadiums to eat, drink, and watch the game.

Snooze Cruise posted:

The author of Still Sick has a new series OL x High Schooler so ain't going to be for everybody.

And this finished up. Nowhere near as good as Still Sick but ended up having a weird sloppy vibe that gave it a 2000s feel in a lot of ways which was interesting.

Elfface posted:

I'm on board. This woman is objectively in the right.

you can't forget the second page

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 2, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
increasing amount of marcille and falin stuff on dynasty. this is truly the start of a new era for dungeon meshi subtexters like myself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rainy Emotion by Karuha reminds me of an older type of manga, where it's all just in the subtext - but it's done in such a way, that it's still very engaging and makes you want more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Snooze Cruise posted:

increasing amount of marcille and falin stuff on dynasty. this is truly the start of a new era for dungeon meshi subtexters like myself.

The only thing I wanna see more is art of the genderswap bonus page. Lady Kabru with Laos was such a big brain move.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

uh-huh. uh-huh. but is it better than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaPhq2cDlps

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Snooze Cruise posted:

It barely feels like subtext, and more like it's just hanging out in the text's doorway too polite to knock.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That is the way of subtext. The Hitcher and Suddenly at Midnight are both fantastic 80s queer subtext horror flicks that are as subtle as a hammer and there is way less ambiguity to those than Dungeon Meshi. But I wouldn't call them barely subtext, because in the end everything there is still about the implication.

More people should watch Suddenly at Midnight btw, its a Korean take on Cat People that is hornier and more overt.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Rainy Emotion by Karuha reminds me of an older type of manga, where it's all just in the subtext - but it's done in such a way, that it's still very engaging and makes you want more.

this ones good. personally it seems very clear.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone here know anything about Hana ni Arashi? Viz just licensed it for an English release

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hana ni Arashi is fine. It's like boilerplate high school yuri except the characters are together from page 1 and they're trying to keep it a secret from their friends. They're cute, but it's largely fluff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

this ones good. personally it seems very clear.
I'm not really sure what your point is, as I'm not really expecting PDAs - despite the fact that a lot of places outside of Scandinavia tend to frown more on it than we do, I don't think it needs to be included.

It's subtext, because the text doesn't include the characters openly communicating - which isn't a bad thing, although I still prefer characters to communicate.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not really sure what your point is, as I'm not really expecting PDAs - despite the fact that a lot of places outside of Scandinavia tend to frown more on it than we do, I don't think it needs to be included.

It's subtext, because the text doesn't include the characters openly communicating - which isn't a bad thing, although I still prefer characters to communicate.

i'm not arguing with you. i also think it's subtext which is quite clear about the romantic tone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

People too often forget the wisdom of the past. 2024 is the year we bring back subtexter.

Quote this post if you are a proud subtexter.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

People too often forget the wisdom of the past. 2024 is the year we bring back subtexter.

in this text, below ('sub') your text, i declare my enjoyment of subtext.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
text

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Huh, that's cool - I'm not sure I ever knew that that's where it came from.

One of my all-time favorite romance novels started out life as a Xena x Gabriella fanfic, until Ann McMan filed off the serial numbers and published it as Jericho.
She then published three more books in the series, and they're all loving fantastic.

:emptyquote:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 3, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i wish xena would domtext me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There's a Xena game on the Nintendo 64 that I had never heard of until recently: it looked alright

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

New series in the hobby yuri mold. But this one is cooler because the hobby in question is going to different baseball stadiums to eat, drink, and watch the game.

I never thought baseball stadiums could be so interesting. I put this on my follow list.

Emzedoh fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 3, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

thetoughestbean posted:

Does anyone here know anything about Hana ni Arashi? Viz just licensed it for an English release

I sort of fell off it after they stopped keeping their relationship a secret because it felt like the story was just spinning its wheels after that, but that's several volumes in so there's some fun stuff up to that point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hey. hey. new yodokawa one shot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

There's a Xena game on the Nintendo 64 that I had never heard of until recently: it looked alright

it's a 3d fighting game that..tries. it looks nice though.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All updated a few days ago, and I'm happy to see Will Toledo being referenced; Twin Fantasy is such a good album that he made it twice.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol car seat headrest speaking to queers across the ocean

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Lately I've been reading the Otherside Picnic novels. This series really impressed me. What could you call this? It's essentially Roadside Picnic and SCP's profoundly gay baby?

Personally I've always found exploration to be romantic in itself. And here's a series all about exploring a strange other world with someone, confronting its dangers and building a special relationship through that! How awesome?! 😁

You get adventures ranging from innocent fun, to creepy, to outright violent and disturbing. Somehow it veers toward the practical and realistic despite its focus being on internet ghost stories and alternate dimensions bleeding into reality. Of course, the leads Sorawo and Toriko and how their relationship develops as they explore the Otherside are the real stars of the show, and their interplay is just so drat fun and engrossing.

Having the viewpoint character be an absolute misanthrope with a pitiful level of self-awareness really livens up scenarios that would otherwise be just ordinary - and at the same time I love when this gets turned around and Sorawo sees things from Toriko's much more emotionally informed perspective and it changes her whole perception of herself in turn. Meanwhile the side characters are really well defined, distinct and fun in their own right. Truly excellent and so well written. Over the years I've read a good few scifi novels but this stood out above all others with its careful characterisation, relationship development, and masterful integration of theme, plot, character and setting. Everything is just in perfect harmony - it kinda reminds me of Bloom Into You in that respect, even though there's no tonal similarity at all.

The current latest volume, the 8th novel, is completely centred on exploring the relationship of the two leads, contextualising their past, defining and deciding their future together. It's one of the greatest things I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The getting-it level is just peak and it's so wonderful.

When I finished reading the first book was I thinking "eh, pretty good" but as it went on I came to absolutely adore the series, they just get better and better. There are currently eight novels and if it ended now, I'd be immensely satisfied and it would be a fine conclusion, but I hope it continues on. :)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it's good but huh, didn't know it finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
As far as I can tell there's no official confirmation that it's finished, but the last volume ends on a pretty ending-y note.