Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Otherside Picnic is fantastic. I don't think it's been announced that it's over but if it is I wouldn't be surprised, I think basically all the big threads have been resolved. Can't recommend it enough, top-tier yuri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

poor Kozakura and her unrequited crush on Sorawo (or I got this vibe at least, lol)

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

the author has tweeted a couple of times about working on volume 9, and offhandedly mentioned planning for a late spring/early summer release date at a promo event for another one of his books back in october

so good news, we'll get to see sorawo be cataclysmically oblivious in new and exciting contexts

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hime-chan Is a Needy Woman
Only one chapter so far.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read all five volumes of I Think Our Son Is Gay. Just delightful, a wonderfully sweet manga about watching your son grow up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StupidNameNobody posted:

Lately I've been reading the Otherside Picnic novels. This series really impressed me. What could you call this? It's essentially Roadside Picnic and SCP's profoundly gay baby?

Holy poo poo why have I slept on this

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ToxicFrog posted:

Why have you slept on this, there's also an anime and a manga adaptation although the anime tells some of the stories out of order.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Otherside Picnic volume 8 is one of the best things I've ever read. Sorawo is the dumbest girl of all time and her perspective coloring everything is so integral to my experience with the series, I can't recommend the novels enough. Every time she goes "man idk what's up with Toriko, she's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen but she keeps saying weird things like "I love you Sorawo," maybe there's something wrong with her" I lose my mind

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Is the manga adaptation worth the release? I'm uh, allergic to words.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The manga and anime are both fine adaptations, just don't expect any romance out of the gate. It's a slow burn.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
From what I’ve heard, the narration of the mc’s perspective is a really key part of the book experience

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the anime is weird because it kind of hastily ends and doesn't have enough anime time to properly explain about the creepy pastas Toriko and Sorawo are encountering

It's not unwatchable, but it's definitely the least good adaption

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Why have you slept on this, there's also an anime and a manga adaptation although the anime tells some of the stories out of order.

Idk, I guess my brain is wrong? Or maybe no-one mentioned it/described it right in my presence? I don't watch much TV but books and manga are both delicious.

Like, Roadside Picnic is genre-defining, and while SCP itself varies wildly in quality, the core premise is catnip for me and it's inspired some great stuff like Control and There Is No Antimemetics Division. So putting those two things in a blender and adding lesbians is extremely my poo poo.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 20, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The manga is supposed to be good, but I don't think they've even kissed yet. I believe it just recently finished adapting volume 3 of 8, and it's going to be a while before it gets to my favorite parts (though the stuff it's covering so far is all excellent)

If you aren't allergic to words I really would recommend the LN though, it's something special

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Otherside Picnic is really good horror that happens to involve lesbians. the relationship between the two leads creates a lot of tension and uncertainty the story leverages both for conflict and the resolution thereof. it matters that these two girls in love learn to trust and rely on each other in a place where you can't trust your own senses.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Otherside Picnic is really good horror that happens to involve lesbians. the relationship between the two leads creates a lot of tension and uncertainty the story leverages both for conflict and the resolution thereof. it matters that these two girls in love learn to trust and rely on each other in a place where you can't trust your own senses.

I'm already sold, you don't need to convince me further

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
the anime sucks rear end in that unique way that only ln adaptations can really suck, where it truncates and reorganizes stuff so badly that it fucks up major story beats and undercuts cool scenes.

the manga is good though, and the ln translations are very good, highly recommended

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

thetoughestbean posted:

From what I’ve heard, the narration of the mc’s perspective is a really key part of the book experience

Jesus christ there's even more in the ln?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Karasu Tengu posted:

the anime sucks rear end in that unique way that only ln adaptations can really suck, where it truncates and reorganizes stuff so badly that it fucks up major story beats and undercuts cool scenes.

the manga is good though, and the ln translations are very good, highly recommended

Just based on the description this seems like the kind of thing that would work best in prose format anyways, because a lot of horror of this sort relies on stuff that, definitionally, cannot be accurately drawn or visually represented. So I will definitely be checking this out. Someday. As I work through my giant backlog of books. :negative:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

goblin week posted:

The LN is deeply embedded in Sorawo's pov, it's incredible

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

for the record, I was reading Otherside Picnic when I posted the words that became the current thread title :blush:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I'm thinking about my favorite Otherside Picnic moment now, which is in volume 8 when (mild spoilers) Sorawo sees that Toriko has been reading books about helping victims of childhood abuse and her reaction is 'oh my god... I can't believe Toriko was going through all this...' and Toriko has to go 'no, I was reading this to try and learn more about you, to understand what you went through' and Sorawo has no idea why the books are at all relevant to her life

They're so good, I love them so much

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn't the girl with the sawed off shotgun a v-tuber? It's already a 10/10 from that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

goblin week posted:

Yeah, the writing in the novels does some really cool things with Sorawo's perspective and the fact that the Otherside's weirdness turns everyone into an unreliable narrator even about things they personally witnessed. (And Sorawo would already be unreliable enough even when not exposed to a mind-warping alternate dimension.)

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

ToxicFrog posted:

Glad to share my joy 😁

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Yes! Exactly! That's a great way of putting it.

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, the writing in the novels does some really cool things with Sorawo's perspective and the fact that the Otherside's weirdness turns everyone into an unreliable narrator even about things they personally witnessed. (And Sorawo would already be unreliable enough even when not exposed to a mind-warping alternate dimension.)
Oh, I love it. It's difficult for me to imagine the story from third person perspective being quite as good... One of my favourite scenes is when Sorawo realises that while she thinks of herself as stoic - and she is - her face is still very expressive and she's been taking an emotional wrecking ball to Toriko with it without her even knowing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1759896562350821640

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are there any romance manga with a transwoman and a transman who meet, find out about each other, and end up dating?

A friend asked me, and I genuinely couldn't come up with any, but that doesn't seem right - and to be honest, I want to read it too.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Are there any romance manga with a transwoman and a transman who meet, find out about each other, and end up dating?

A friend asked me, and I genuinely couldn't come up with any, but that doesn't seem right - and to be honest, I want to read it too.

I am 110% sure that that has to exist.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

well it's not a romance manga but that did almost happen in wandering son

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Technically correct answer:
https://mangadex.org/title/3cdc63e9-2a9a-42be-b742-b620efb60cc7/still-the-same-after-switching-bodies

There is also that pretty old borderline transploitation rom-com. Where a dude moves in with a transman and transwoman couple. He falls in love with their fluid daughter who refuses to tell him weather she is cis or trans. And his love rival is a transman.
Not as good as it sounds, though it at least considers transphobia to be a character flaw. Also, I forgot the name.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

VictualSquid posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/3cdc63e9-2a9a-42be-b742-b620efb60cc7/still-the-same-after-switching-bodies

There is also that pretty old borderline transploitation rom-com. Where a dude moves in with a transman and transwoman couple. He falls in love with their fluid daughter who refuses to tell him weather she is cis or trans. And his love rival is a transman.
Not as good as it sounds, though it at least considers transphobia to be a character flaw. Also, I forgot the name.

Family Compo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

well it's not a romance manga but that did almost happen in wandering son
Almost being the operative word, but I get your point.

VictualSquid posted:

That's kinda cute, but I was thinking there must be some serialized story..

The old one sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm not really sure it's something I can recommend in good conscience.
There's a lot of the 80s shoujo that I've read once upon a time - like "Stop, Hibari-kun!" which probably is best left as a memory rather than revisiting it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just remembered this one. Very good, and completed recently.
You are looking for this except you want them to be actually trans instead of crossdressing?
https://mangadex.org/title/685db91e-a8ab-4de3-9738-9d3f883bd179/ikemen-joshi-to-josou-danshi

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

You are looking for this except you want them to be actually trans instead of crossdressing?
https://mangadex.org/title/685db91e-a8ab-4de3-9738-9d3f883bd179/ikemen-joshi-to-josou-danshi
I hadn't read this one, but since it's completed I'm definitely going to.

I don't insist on anyone being anything other than what they are, I just think it could be a nice story when my friend asked about it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

landlord landlord landlord

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

VictualSquid posted:

This is definitely t4t, to me, even if they use birth-gender pronouns throughout. I am 25 chapters in and having a very good time with this silly girl and her way too cool boyfriend

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gnome7 posted:

This is definitely t4t, to me, even if they use birth-gender pronouns throughout. I am 25 chapters in and having a very good time with this silly girl and her way too cool boyfriend
I just finished it - and yeah, it's basically impossible to read it any other way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Babe wake up it updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Young Ladies Don’t Play Fighting Games is so drat good. Volume 5 had one of the mc’s, Aya, basically realize that she’s in love with the other, Mio, because she saw Mio do The Daigo Parry in a tournament and Volume 6 has Aya run out of the convention center because Mio had an amazing exhibition match against someone else and the Aya had thought that she was the rival who could bring the Mio’s true strength and now she’s not.

God, it rules so much

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 5, 2024