Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I (I) Love (Love) You! (You!) by Nmi@Pixiv, who's a new mangaka but who I'll try to keep an eye out for in the future - because they do good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I (I) Love (Love) You! (You!) by Nmi@Pixiv, who's a new mangaka but who I'll try to keep an eye out for in the future - because they do good work.

this ones good. ive been reading a lot of serial stuff lately i need to up the oneshot diet

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/black_white_ch18#1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEP7z39NCGs

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
You and the author were on the same team..................and the author wrote my favorite into an actual monster who gets justly pwned.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad black and white ended up being about how love for older women can save you from the dark side 🥹 🥹 🥹

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I read Black and White for a few chapters and was just all, "Why are these ladies kicking the poo poo out of each other constantly? How has no one noticed they are body slamming each other in the office while kissing?"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kuros posted:

I read Black and White for a few chapters and was just all, "Why are these ladies kicking the poo poo out of each other constantly? How has no one noticed they are body slamming each other in the office while kissing?"

Maybe you should keep reading cause maybe that's a plot point.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 24, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kuros posted:

the romance genre often takes place in an idealized form of reality

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Kuros posted:

its insanely epic you will find

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope the nice HR lady gets out of Bank politics ok.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
She got a psychotic baddie with a promising career out of it. It'll be alright.

I think that's what kicks rear end about the ending? Everyone got what they wanted. And they also are all pwned by it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah but unlike Junko I don't like seeing her get owned!

Though it would be very untrue to Black and White if it did not end with a toxic relationship. So I suppose it needed to go out this way.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
At the end of the day, with regard to Shirakawa Junko, I can fix her.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

There's nothing to fix, she's perfect

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Babe wake up, new Akiyama Haru* series has just dropped

*Author of Octave

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seems cool imo

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
First chapter is winsauce.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
oh the end of that chapter is precious, gonna be waiting with baited breath for the next one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I Love Amy continues to be the best thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the most accurate rendering of america ever to be seen in a yuri manwha

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Same energy. Literally.

This was such a nice little epilogue :kimchi: Here's hoping for a sequel or some extra chapters about their life in New York.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/yenpress/status/1743325250022965588?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

I hear this is very good?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It never really took off for me but what I read was definitely pretty solid

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno. It was never exactly a favorite of mine, I would have never really called it very good but it was alright. There is a development later on too that just felt like it completely deflated the premise. I am not too impressed with it.

I would say I am someone with a lot of interest in monsters. I'll sometimes read dry books with tons of footnotes about the folklore, yadda yadda. So maybe a good chunk of my, ehhh, reaction is define by that and how I think there is a ton of neat stuff you could do with the subject through a homo lens. But I dunno, it just feels like a standard genre work without anything really charming to elevate it.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Like Snooze said, it starts off with an interesting (if extremely depressing) premise, and it advances little by little until it introduces a "twist" that deflates the original premise and resets the characters back to zero. I feel like the ultimate purpose of the reset was to try to tell the audience that no, there won't be a further subversion, this is all going to end in tragedy eventually but, like, IDK. It showed some promise but 30+ chapters in the story is back to square 1 and seems more interested in telling the story of a specific side character rather than the main duo. Probably also doesn't help that it was dropped by the original scanlator and then has been picked up by multiple people since then with wildly varying quality in both the translation and presentation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Finish rereading Teppu again recently, yeah still holds up. Has my favorite type of subtext. Where the queer tension explodes out in violence. Its something you see mostly in horror, Cat People, The Hitcher, Suddenly at Midnight, etc.

Anyway someone should make a lesbo sports manga I like again.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 10, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

Finish rereading Teppu again recently, yeah still holds up. Has my favorite type of subtext. Where there queer tension explodes out in violence. Its something you see mostly in horror, Cat People, The Hitcher, Suddenly at Midnight, etc.

Teppu is so good. I definitely agree that the violence rules for that exact reason

If you find any be sure to let the thread know, I wanna read it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Teppu's sequence of panels that ends with "I hate them all!!!" just before the last fight is honest to god the gayest poo poo i've ever read. good for them, good for them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chapter 1 of something new

nice art

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fukken hell that's a beautiful artstyle, and I love the setup for where it can go.
I don't know if it's on the translation or the mangaka, but it has a pretty weird interpretation of jealousy - I just hope that doesn't come back to bite it..

I've had another of the mangakas works on my wish-list over on baka-updates for ages, but it never seems to have gotten picked up.
Perhaps that'll change if this series lives up to what it's setting up in the first chapter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The art is nice, the character designs are fun and I enjoy the dynamic already.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read it and I feel like isn't it a good personality trait to be not jealous tho? I mean, imagine if MC saw her former BF next ...to his sister and instead it went into a romcom where it's all based on miscommunication like I've never read that idea before v:v:v

Also, props to characters who recall their junior high classmates, and here I am with zero memory of anyone who attended K-12 with me because I was a dedicated loner.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
jealousy as a conceit of thinking as your partner as one of the most important parts of your life and wanting primacy of their attention, and them having yours in return, is kinda the basic foundation of a pretty good portion of modern monogamous romance as a concept. it doesn't necessarily have to correspond with possessiveness and hostility in the negative sense of the word where it's usually used.

also i dunno about how the word translates and it's practical use in japanese

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
part of just seems to be the way the characters are framing it (though the volume covers do seem to suggest a bit of a theme of possessiveness?)

someone not getting upset when their partner of 2 years breaks up with them to hook back up with an ex they been talking to uhh, def reads like a type of thing i could see a straight dude partner pinning entirely on a lack of jealously. while to me that, and the marriage stuff, feels like a larger part of an overall comphet thing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

part of just seems to be the way the characters are framing it (though the volume covers do seem to suggest a bit of a theme of possessiveness?)

someone not getting upset when their partner of 2 years breaks up with them to hook back up with an ex they been talking to uhh, def reads like a type of thing i could see a straight dude partner pinning entirely on a lack of jealously. while to me that, and the marriage stuff, feels like a larger part of an overall comphet thing.

:same:

I feel like everything else in Ch 1 was relatable like I guess for me the only ppl I knew who didn't get married were all my older cousins but I didn't really think much about it until I was older too. Mostly I have a lot of lower expectations due to my personal situation too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

heres a chapter 2
this one feels more messy and all over the place than the previous chapter, but the art is still great

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Read through all current issues of My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up with a Mythical Sorceress! this weekend. It's a popcorn read! Shonen fantasy setting where the main character sets out to literally fight the patriarchy -- I think I would've personally preferred more romance, but I'll forgive it a lot of sins for the the mid-series shot of Laplace not-proposing to Tanya

I got a recommendation for Okaeri Alice / Welcome Back, Alice but, after starting a few chapters, I'm not sure I'm ready to be fed through the threshing machine of another anguished examination of teenage romance, sexuality, and gender identity. I'm not certain I'm fully recovered from Bokura no Hentai yet!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

Finish rereading Teppu again recently, yeah still holds up. Has my favorite type of subtext. Where the queer tension explodes out in violence. Its something you see mostly in horror, Cat People, The Hitcher, Suddenly at Midnight, etc.

i read this whole thing while in kitty jail on the recommendation of someone mysterious and id like to personally recommend it as well. every character is perfect to me