Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
If we're digging into the edgy yuri LN mines now, The Executioner and Her Way of Life is worth looking at too. A priestess tasked with assassinating isekai heroes so that their cheat abilities don't end up destroying the world meets a girl whose ability makes her unkillable, and has no choice but to keep watch over her until she can find a way to solve this problem. Yuri ensues. It's violent but not as heavy on the horror as Roll Over and Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I read the concept of this and thought "Oh this is gonna be a cute gag manga" and it is but it's also just an actually good toku story in stretches.

Like if they just let Anhk and Eiji smooch.

It's also got an official translation as Superwomen in Love, although it's still a little bit behind the scanlations for now.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

utena is gay in an apophatic kind of way where it's sometimes actively gay but more often relentlessly negative about heterosexuality

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Violen posted:

this is going to come off as a pretty shameless request but does anyone have any fluffy trans romance or slice of life stuff they read and recommend because ive been having really overwhelming dreams of mundanely living at the end of a journey i dont even know if ill be able to or should take lately and i could seriously use some uncomplicated escapism right now and trust the wider internet less on that than possibly anything ever

If you just want straight-up wish fulfillment, A Manga About a Hero Who Pulled Out the Holy Sword and Became a Girl delivers. Well, depending on what your wishes are, I guess, but.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Seshoho Cian posted:

I wanna recommend Ah... and Mm... Are All She Says, which the scanlation just finished up.

I've been following this one too and it's really, really good (and a little bit relatable, since I work in VNs).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Drakyn posted:

I'm sort of hoping you got to put your let's plays on your resume when you got onto that career path.

No joke, they actually did look at them as a kind of portfolio. Turns out that being able to exhaustively document a game while also writing my way out of a paper bag is a pretty relevant skillset for QA work.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I guess there's stuff like New Game!, which is a slice-of-life about a bunch of women working at a video game company and then two of the characters get married to each other in the epilogue

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

Hero and Former General is a straight-up tokusatsu action manga that starts from the premise of one of the extra-dimensional invaders switching teams because she's so gay for the hero.

Also, if you like it enough to want to spend money on it, it's licensed as Superwomen in Love.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

https://mangadex.org/title/1a1032fc-e8f7-425b-aa78-d9072f8de514/majo-no-geboku-to-maou-no-tsuno

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

School Zone's been updating about once a month lately and we're due for another one soonish if the pattern continues.

There's also an official translation but it's still a full volume behind the scanlations at the moment.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1491509642622558208

really big deal sci-fi yuri getting a translation. i didn't even know there was a light novel of it...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Incidentally, if you want a manga about a poly relationship that doesn't kind of chicken out at the end, An Easy Introduction to Love Triangles is pretty good.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

Mind you, this is far as I've read, so if it gets super gross later on, then I apologize in advance. :v:

I mean, it does in fact get super gross on a number of different levels (pretty much all the ones you'd expect from the "adventures of a lesbian serial killer who targets criminals" premise, really), but yes, it's gay.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Whole thing's on Dynasty. You can also buy the first 12 chapters on Amazon if you want to support the author; I don't think the rest was ever collected into volumes, although she does have another series on sale too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, she mentions in the afterword that due to poor sales, there was never a second volume and the first is sadly out of print.

Also I've started Futari Escape! Do these nerds kiss eventually or am I just wasting my precious time?

Don't expect kissing; they act like a couple and do couple-y things, but it's all kept pretty low-key.

Incidentally, Futari Escape has also been picked up for future localization:

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1506715822437371911

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DisDisDis is going to be very happy to see that a new scanlation group has finally picked up Sugar wa Oshigotoro.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'll second Octave too, forgot that one was localized

Wait, it is? I can only find official translations in Spanish.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

After browsing the trans tags on dynasty, I ended up rereading "Stripping the Flesh". Man, that story is good and powerfull. If anybody still hasn't read it, you really should.

You can also now buy it as part of an anthology if you feel like throwing some money in the author's direction.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Libra posted:

I guess what I'm realizing is that stories grounded in reality fill me with significantly more dread than horror stories, lol

that completely makes sense to me tbh. reading realistic down-to-earth stories about trans people facing realistic down-to-earth problems always feels a little bit like staring directly into the sun, it's less painful if you put a filter of unreality over it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I'm going to put in a recommendation for X-Gender by Asuka Miyazaki here on account of them being exceptionally goony

they're great, it's like if the author of My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness were 50% less depressed and anxious but also 50% more of a weirdo to make up for it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

On the subject of classic anime about gay ladies whom shoot guns, I picked up Bakuretsu Tenshi a while ago and it holds up surprisingly well (aside from the fact that the secondary protagonist/love interest mostly seems to exist to gently caress up and get kidnapped so that Jo can rescue her). I watched it back-to-back with Lycoris Recoil and kinda got struck by the thought that the protagonists in one show would be the villains in the other; they're similar in theme and tone but with markedly different sympathies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

wait how did i forget Symphogear when talking about actiony yuri anime

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I kind of fell off it after everyone gets a backstory and theres isekai heroes along and things got a bit overstuffed. Does it get better?

As it approaches a conclusion, the pacing improves and the excess characters either get something meaningful to do or get off the stage.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

As a small note, the English physical release of volume 1 is later this month! :toot:

Where can I buy it and under what title? I tried to google the official release and failed.

Ah, never mind, found it: https://yenpress.com/series/monthly-in-the-garden-with-my-landlord

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

It's got an official translation as well, although right now the fan translation is a few chapters ahead of it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

official releases are good but i dont think anyone should feel obligated to wait a year to catch up on a comic like this, which i like a normal amount

Yeah for the record I'm buying the official volumes because it seems like the polite thing to do but I am also reading the scanlations as they come out because, well, they're already an entire volume ahead

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Does anyone here know anything about Hana ni Arashi? Viz just licensed it for an English release

I sort of fell off it after they stopped keeping their relationship a secret because it felt like the story was just spinning its wheels after that, but that's several volumes in so there's some fun stuff up to that point.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

As far as I can tell there's no official confirmation that it's finished, but the last volume ends on a pretty ending-y note.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

goblin week posted:

Jesus christ there's even more in the ln?

Yeah, the writing in the novels does some really cool things with Sorawo's perspective and the fact that the Otherside's weirdness turns everyone into an unreliable narrator even about things they personally witnessed. (And Sorawo would already be unreliable enough even when not exposed to a mind-warping alternate dimension.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Young Ladies Don’t Play Fighting Games is so drat good. Volume 5 had one of the mc’s, Aya, basically realize that she’s in love with the other, Mio, because she saw Mio do The Daigo Parry in a tournament and Volume 6 has Aya run out of the convention center because Mio had an amazing exhibition match against someone else and the Aya had thought that she was the rival who could bring the Mio’s true strength and now she’s not.

God, it rules so much

Oop, and this is how I learn that Volume 6 came out. Thanks for that. For a company that started out selling books, Amazon is weirdly bad at letting you know when a new volume in a series you've been reading is available.

I've been reading Murcielago lately because I was in the mood for violent gay trash, but this manga might hit oddly similar parts of my brain to that one.