Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Pollyanna posted:

I honestly wish there was more outright trans rep in anime and manga. Maybe I’ve just been missing it, but most of the non-cisnormative rep is couched in “haha gender-nonconforming presentation but nope actually definitely a boy!!”. Which is all well and good, GNC rep is important, but we’re just outright rare in comparison.

It actually kinda bugs me, and I think a lot of it is authors either being too scared to fully commit, or chasing some fetishistic 4chan-style fad. Cause I know for a fact that there’s Japanese trans people, so it’s not some ethnocentric “this concept doesn’t exist in the East” bullshit.

The trans/GNC rep we do get is often of the idealistic anime waifu garbage nature too. I’d really love to see more realistic, non-turbofemme rep. Gimme some bikers or programmers or something (not biased, I promise). Double House and Shimanami Tasogare were great about this sort of thing.

Have you watched zombieland saga? I thought they did a really good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't watched S2, did they flesh out Lily further? If so, :bubblewoop:, but still falls under the overly anime clause.

I wish Lily had gotten more in S2, but her episode was in part about how she's fully comfortable with herself which I thought was a good message.