Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

StupidNameNobody posted:

I'm curious what else you might recommend along the same lines.

I can second Snooze's rec's above, and I am always wanting for more series that don't either immediately end when the main couple gets together or shift focus to be primarily about a side couple, so here are a couple recommendations along those lines since you said you liked that about Ring My Bell

It Would Be Great If You Didn't Exist/Wish You Were Gone is one of my personal favs. A guy cheats on his girlfriend, but oops both the girls he was dating are bi and they dump him and get together instead. The comedic moments remind me a lot of the super exaggerated comedy in Ring my Bell, though it also gets way more serious when it gets serious.

Blooming Sequence was also one of my favs about girls in a college film club getting together. It has a super sketchy art style that I love, though it does do the "lots of focus on a side couple in the second season" thing so oops i guess i lied a bit

Superwomen In Love is a fairly short but very good and fun sentai series about how lesbians are the only thing powerful enough to save the world from despair.

Since you said you're fairly new to romance manga, you might not have checked out Kase San and Morning Glories! It's a fairly standard high school romance, but with two twists: They get together very quickly, and the author followed it up with a sequel, Yamada and Kase-San, which follows the girls as their relationship continues to develop once they've gone to college! Also was adapted to an anime film that is very cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Like Snooze said, it starts off with an interesting (if extremely depressing) premise, and it advances little by little until it introduces a "twist" that deflates the original premise and resets the characters back to zero. I feel like the ultimate purpose of the reset was to try to tell the audience that no, there won't be a further subversion, this is all going to end in tragedy eventually but, like, IDK. It showed some promise but 30+ chapters in the story is back to square 1 and seems more interested in telling the story of a specific side character rather than the main duo. Probably also doesn't help that it was dropped by the original scanlator and then has been picked up by multiple people since then with wildly varying quality in both the translation and presentation.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Hana ni Arashi is fine. It's like boilerplate high school yuri except the characters are together from page 1 and they're trying to keep it a secret from their friends. They're cute, but it's largely fluff.