Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hey folks! I work at a Barnes and Noble and I’ve been kind of put in charge of doing endcaps for our manga section. I want to do an lgbt endcap for Pride but I realize my knowledge of gay manga isn’t super deep, so I thought I’d ask for suggestions for stuff to order.

The works need to be physically available in English and something that you’d be comfortable showing the cover of. For example I love My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, but it’s got a naked lady on the cover so I’d rather not face it out.

So far my list of things to display in manga is:
Boys Run the Riot
Given
Bloom Into You
The Bride Was A Boy
My Brother’s Husband
Catch These Hands
Even Though We’re Adults
School Zone Girls

And for light novels I’m thinking
Heaven’s Official Blessing
I’m In Love With the Villainess
Adachi and Shimamura

I looked into Banana Fish and Otherside Picnic but they aren’t available to order at the moment.

Any suggestions? Am I missing anything big? What would you like to see at the store? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just shortlisted Love Me For Who I Am based on a friend’s recommendation and we already have How Do We Relationship in the store.

I’ll look into the rest, thanks!

Update: I shortlisted Our Dreams At Dusk, but Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon volume 1 wasn’t available to order.

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 15, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

tokin opposition posted:

Try My Brother's Husband

That one’s already on the list!

I’ll look into Octave, I think we might have that in the store?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yeah, I shortlisted a volume of Kase-san but no amount of searching could find Octave

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FewtureMD posted:

I really enjoyed I Think Our Son is Gay!

I knew I was forgetting something. We absolutely have that at the store so I won’t need to order, thankfully

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Alright I set my Pride endcap up. I’m not super satisfied, a lot of the titles I ordered haven’t shown up yet and a lot of the stuff that we had on the shelves that I planned to use (Boys Run the Riot, Bloom Into You, Failed Princess) all had their first volume sell out within the last week. Mostly I’m worried that that we won’t be able to fill any empty slots with titles the booksellers can comfortably vouch for

But anyways, here’s what I have

The titles are, starting at the top left and moving right:
Top row: My Brother’s Husband, Catch These Hands, Our Dreams at Dusk
Second row: Given, School Zone Girls, Even Though We’re Adults
Third row: The Bride Was a Boy, Sweet Blue Flowers, and Would You Like to Start a Family
Bottom Row (all lns): Adachi and Shimumura, I’m In Love With the Villainess, The Scum Villain’s Self Saving System

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hey folks! Pride is in a month which means I need to start ordering books now for my store’s manga Pride endcap. We have plenty of l and g titles, so I’d like to make sure we have a selection of btia+ titles to display as well. I have a small list already, but are there any books that I’m missing?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'd suggest Umi ga Hashiru End Roll for ace rep, but I'm not sure if it has an English translation, and it's relatively early in the story so the (apparent) ace identity of one of the protagonists hasn't been explored much yet.

Similarly, I'd suggest Skip and Loafer for trans rep, but it's a secondary character (albeit a prominent one), and I'd imagine customers would be looking for protagonists.

Yeah Skip and Loafer is great, but isn’t exactly the best fit for and endcap for that reason. Also, it’s weirdly difficult to order for the store. Seven Seas never prints enough of the first volume

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ZiegeDame posted:

You should have Our Dreams At Dusk in the G section then, if you don't already.

Add Love Me for Who I Am for NB protagonist

I do, for the former, and I forgot about the latter! Thanks!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finished the third (and final) volume of Run Away With Me, Girl and it was really really good. I liked the first two volumes but felt they weren’t quite living up to their potential. Volume three really hit the heights I felt it could and really stuck the landing. I especially appreciated the two epilogue chapters because of how they emphasized that life goes on and we face new challenges. I really recommend people check this series out!

It’s not manga but I also read Grand Slam Romance. I’d give it about a C+. For a comic about messy lesbian relationships, softball, and magical girls it really only cared about the messy lesbian relationships. The softball could have been any other team sport and the story wouldn’t have changed because the comic wasn’t really interested in depicting the gameplay at all. For the magical girl side, there’s some funny jokes that allude to the world being absurd (there’s a prestigious magical girl softball boarding school) but mostly it’s deeply unnecessary and doesn’t add anything. It could have been excised from the comic and nothing would really change. Plus, the magical girl designs were just super boring.

The romantic drama was fine but I never actually cared about anyone involved. I appreciate that the author let the relationships be messy and have people’s feelings get hurt, but that was more of an academic appreciation that anything I actually felt.

The jokes landed and the art was pleasant to look at, though, so it’s still a passing grade.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Snooze Cruise posted:

run away with me is GOAT'd with the sauce nod nod

It really is! I’m trying not to gush about it because I think people need to experience it for themselves, but I was seriously blown away

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ikkoku Nikki is so good. Just an absolute masterpiece

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1677428557419540482?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Hard-covered depression…

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I found an interesting book about the history of yuri anime and manga. I’d get it but I’ve got like three nonfiction books I need to read first.

I bought the first two books of Our Dreams at Dusk and ordered the the last two. I’m a bit disappointed that it’s only four volumes—it seems like a series that could go on as long as it likes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finished Our Dreams at Dusk. I teared up at the ending, which is about the closest I get to crying most of the time.

Good manga

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Seven Seas did such a good job with the physical version. I heard the first printing of the first volume wasn’t great but my version is really good quality so they must have fixed the problem.

I’m enjoying these gay robots having comfy slice of life adventures

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

I bought a copy of Éclair Blanche entirely for this chapter by Eri Ejima, in which I would like to share here:

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/MuHjJcI/1/1/

Is this the creator of Young Ladies Don’t Play Fighting Games? Because I was just about to recommend that series here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

lunar detritus posted:

Is anyone scanlating She Loves to Cook, and She Loves to Eat?

It has an official English release

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Has anyone here read The Summer Hikaru Died?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

I just got and read volume 2 yesterday, what's up

Just wondering if I should start recommending it to customers. The premise seems creepy but I haven’t had the chance to read it yet

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

I think it's quite an easy recommendation. The horror elements are pretty creepy and artistically distinct. The art in general is very striking.

There is a lot of subtext (just text, really) about coming out, growing/confusing feelings between best friends, and horror as a metaphor for social stigma and shame. It presents itself as a mystery that is I think is compelling for new readers.

It's quite creative in its paneling, and my one of my favourite aspects of it is just how well it portrays a hot, sweaty humid asian summer. Which is the true horror, really.

Sounds like I should pick it up at some point

It’s really only tangential to this thread but I picked up the latest volume of Kageki Shoujo!! and man, that series is just do charming

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/yenpress/status/1725974690244563209?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

I was very interested in this title when I first heard about it, very happy that it’s getting an English release

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Man… I like that series but it isn’t that good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Seven Seas does monthly surveys to see what fans want licensed. They specifically ask for lgbt series, too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Wait never mind, Ikoku Nikki got #1. It’s a good list

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/yenpress/status/1743325250022965588?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

I hear this is very good?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

Kodansha do an english print run of Teppu you loving cowards

I think they (correctly) assume it won’t sell enough to be worth it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone here know anything about Hana ni Arashi? Viz just licensed it for an English release

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read all five volumes of I Think Our Son Is Gay. Just delightful, a wonderfully sweet manga about watching your son grow up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
From what I’ve heard, the narration of the mc’s perspective is a really key part of the book experience

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Young Ladies Don’t Play Fighting Games is so drat good. Volume 5 had one of the mc’s, Aya, basically realize that she’s in love with the other, Mio, because she saw Mio do The Daigo Parry in a tournament and Volume 6 has Aya run out of the convention center because Mio had an amazing exhibition match against someone else and the Aya had thought that she was the rival who could bring the Mio’s true strength and now she’s not.

God, it rules so much

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 5, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
e: hmm it’s late and I’m an idiot

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RuBisCO posted:

ahhhhhhhh I'm still waiting for my vol 6 to ship and i'm quoting you but stopped reading your post halfway through because of spoilers but this is one of a handful of series I have that I have to wait for like the annual volume release and it drives me nuts

Ah geeze, sorry about that, I edited the original post if you want to, uh, update the quote.

I just got so excited

Thuryl posted:

Oop, and this is how I learn that Volume 6 came out. Thanks for that. For a company that started out selling books, Amazon is weirdly bad at letting you know when a new volume in a series you've been reading is available.

I've been reading Murcielago lately because I was in the mood for violent gay trash, but this manga might hit oddly similar parts of my brain to that one.

I check what each publisher puts out every month on their respective websites, which is maybe a bit obsessive but hey I don’t miss updates.

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 5, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m caught up on How Do We Relationship and I don’t really get the complaints about Miwa’s break up. Sex is part of a relationship and her needs weren’t being met and sometimes you’re just incompatible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/yenpress/status/1783939112073892031?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Green Lesbians is getting an official release