Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I honestly wish there was more outright trans rep in anime and manga. Maybe I’ve just been missing it, but most of the non-cisnormative rep is couched in “haha gender-nonconforming presentation but nope actually definitely a boy!!”. Which is all well and good, GNC rep is important, but we’re just outright rare in comparison.

It actually kinda bugs me, and I think a lot of it is authors either being too scared to fully commit, or chasing some fetishistic 4chan-style fad. Cause I know for a fact that there’s Japanese trans people, so it’s not some ethnocentric “this concept doesn’t exist in the East” bullshit.

The trans/GNC rep we do get is often of the idealistic anime waifu garbage nature too. I’d really love to see more realistic, non-turbofemme rep. Gimme some bikers or programmers or something (not biased, I promise). Double House and Shimanami Tasogare were great about this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Have you watched zombieland saga? I thought they did a really good job.

I haven't watched S2, did they flesh out Lily further? If so, :bubblewoop:, but still falls under the overly anime clause.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean i think its getting better over the years. i dunno, i don't think its exactly fair to say people are scared to commit or are chasing "fads" like the video I link in the OP there mangaka wrote something kinda problematic but like you watch it and you are like "well this does seem like it came out of their own dysphoria." like there can be complexities with this stuff, still sucks though.

I agree that it's complex, I just don't know what to think about a large contingent of people still being reliant on an characterization intermediary to separate themselves from the fact that presentation != identity != etc.

quote:

e: also im annoyed with you because of the programmers meme >:i

I said I wasn't biased!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just finished re-reading Usotsuki Lily and I feel like it's one of the better instances, but there's also Prunus Girl - but both of them aren't very new, so I get what you're saying, and I think it'd be good to have more of that too.

Usotsuki Lily is just het with crossdressing from what I remember.

I forgot about Prunus Girl, that's one decent too, but still a tad lacking. Prunus Girl is closer to the core of the conversation by explicitly saying it's about presentation and that the specific identity is not important, especially cause it makes a point of not trying to "reveal" any sort of truth. Also anime waifu.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just realized that My Wife Is a Man finished very recently, and the tags are very powerful.

Yeah but it's BL, not trans rep.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm just so sick of small and cute. Gimme someone that looks like I do :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yyyyeah, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here cause it's still used when it REALLY shouldn't be, but as a trans person, don't use that word - it's been used against us in a negative fashion. That's why I use "gender-nonconforming-presenting individuals", cause so far there's no shorthand that hasn't been used in a hosed up fashion.

(F-boy is also in questionable standing, by the way.)

Snooze Cruise posted:

i wish there was more stuff like double house yeah but i do get a lot out of wish fulfillment stuff like this so i don't end up complaining much. also im hot irl so i don't get disappointed by them not looking like me cause im better lookin' B)

I used to be really into that stuff, like 2007-2008 era. It's been over 13 years since I transitioned and it all rings very...not hollow, but differently. Kinda like the change from the silver age to the dark age of comic books.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 26, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's fine, I forgive you. But do make note of the terminology's baggage.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think that one is fine? like the other thing implies trickery and predatory behavior and while what you are saying can be sexualized it does just read more on the face of it just describing "this is a nonconforming presentation"

I keep seeing less-savory parts of the internet use it in a fetishistic fashion, and I'm still :chloe: over its predecessor, so I tend to be a bit wary of the term. But the fact that it's used as an identity means I should be less lovely about it, I think. Okay, femboy is fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai is het, but I most certainly appreciated this little bit of WLW representation. :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Always Be Posting Manga By LGBT Creators.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

everyone posted:

lmao

:stare:

God, TERFs ruin everything. It's cases like this that I wish there wasn't a language barrier, so everything can get hashed out without relying on DeepL or some poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hi I heard that lesbians?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The squequel

I want to see comics like these with girls who aren’t the typical cutesy uwu type. Gimme sportsy. Gimme gyarus. Gimme yankees. Gimme tall dark and beautiful. Gimme dorks and nerds. Gimme absolutely gremlins. Gimme diverse body types. Gimme butch, or soft butch if you must. Hell even better gimme college age and OLs. Just something different for once, christ!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That comic is part of the reason I bring this up. Glorious :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carpator Diei posted:

But what is it? :(

https://twitter.com/WillMuzzi/status/1484016690186838017

That's the artist. Seems like a one-off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Took you long enough :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

...is

is takemiya shipping herself with someone else

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Somehow I completely believed she would do that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bridget is officially trans and holy poo poo are a very small minority of people loving livid about it. We’re having fun dunking on them on the hellsite.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A lot of people complaining about Bridget ring trans are doing so because they’re attached to her old backstory. The problem is that her old backstory is complete loving garbage. This did not stop her from being an important touchstone for a lot of us, as an example of what could be different and a path we can take, but her story was certainly imperfect and cultivated an environment that could be hostile to the very people who saw something important in her and in themselves.

Frankly, I am happy to either retcon her GGX2 plot or ignore it entirely. It sucked anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thuryl posted:

that completely makes sense to me tbh. reading realistic down-to-earth stories about trans people facing realistic down-to-earth problems always feels a little bit like staring directly into the sun, it's less painful if you put a filter of unreality over it

Well, yeah. But for me, that’s what make the down-to-earth ones impactful. It’s more personal, easier to connect with. More painful, sometimes, but that’s important. Only getting fantasy and unreality is like only eating ice cream - you’ll get sick. Have some meat and potatoes.

Unfortunately those are in short supply :( though works like Stripping the Flesh are great, despite being tough reads :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shimura Takako manga is definitely A Thing. Often messy but extremely formative.