Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fusion was probably my favorite and i'm so glad to finally have a continuation of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it'd be cool if Dread has the good parts of Fusion without the bad (railroading, time wasting exposition robot).

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
I played a little bit of federation force and actually kinda liked it lol, felt like a weird hybrid of prime and pso. they really should've named it like anything else though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't played any of these since Super Metroid a billion years ago but it looks nice. I am going to try out some of the other ones in between Super and Dread over the next few weeks to hype myself up!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Love metroid, love samus, and cant wait to play dread. Ps fusion the best

this. anyone who hates on fusion please leave the thread

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

bees x1000 posted:

it'd be cool if Dread has the good parts of Fusion without the bad (railroading, time wasting exposition robot).

that's basically what they've indicated they're going for - they keep emphasising super metroid-esque level of exploration and potential for sequence breaking, and unintrusive cutscenes/story elements

i am very optimistic for this game, everything they've shown off & said looks exactly what i'd want. samus returns was just ok but it looks like they've figured out what makes the series great this time, hopefully it delivers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

bladeworksmaster posted:

Actually, to put over another Metroid fan project that is a little closer to the original, shout outs to Metroid Planets, a full remaster of Metroid 1 that adds a lot of QoL features, mechanical tweaks, and multiplayer to the original NES game, without losing the aesthetic and charm. In addition, it has a map maker and a whole new campaign for you to try, and is my preferred way to play the original Metroid 1 if you absolutely must play it to experience how the series started.
I really like the way they updated the NES sprite and run animation while still being accurate to NES limitations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4QJeYcP340

Mega64 posted:

So what was the deal with Federation Force?
You fight a giant morphball samus who is being mind controlled? Shooting her stops the mind control. That's it, that's the plot.

Also I guess it canonizes that the Federation is trying to make mech suits that are as powerful as her chozo power suit, but they're much larger and bulkier because Fed tech isn't as good.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 28, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

TaurusOxford posted:

It's Prime 2. :colbert:

Sanctuary fortress is definitely the best individual area in the entire series and it also has the best armor upgrades. The key hunt is a nightmare and between torvus bog and agon wastes you’ve got about one fun area and one nightmare shitzone.

I still like prime one better for being more consistent but prime 2’s high points are higher.

Also bring back the loving echo visor. What a wasted opportunity that thing was

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The main plot thing with Federation Force was there was a mission where you have to capture Metroids for the Federation to study (for peaceful purposes, we would never use them as weapons, haha ;)) and a post-credits scene with Sylux from Hunters sneaking into where the Federation kept the Metroids you captured that I imagine will be followed up in Prime 4 when that ever happens

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LuckyCat posted:

I’d love a write up or a link to a video/article review on why Other M is so hated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOefFfxBNJg

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have somehow decided that despite having all of the original consoles paired with flashcarts and a MiSTer FPGA and who knows how many emulation handhelds, that the best way to play through the series before Dread drops is on a Switch.

Having a hacked Switch has come a long way, a long long way.

Plan is to play them order with Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion on the hacked one, and Super Metroid and eventually Dread on my everyday normal one.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I love about prime 3 and fusion is that they indirectly illustrate 2 ends of a pendulum of actions the federation takes out of greed and fear.

You have the federation in prime 3 having to muster all hands on deck in a extensive emergency that is only barely stopped by samus, and even then she barely escaped corruption.

And you look at how powerful and incredible the stuff samus finds is, and the federation is already using mother brain tech for interstellar communication.

The reasoning for the secret metroid program in fusion comes together pretty easily after that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LuckyCat posted:

I’d love a write up or a link to a video/article review on why Other M is so hated.
It's illustrative to look at what the trailers promised vs what was actually delivered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x68UNZdsyxY&t=1396s

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have somehow decided that despite having all of the original consoles paired with flashcarts and a MiSTer FPGA and who knows how many emulation handhelds, that the best way to play through the series before Dread drops is on a Switch.

Having a hacked Switch has come a long way, a long long way.

Plan is to play them order with Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion on the hacked one, and Super Metroid and eventually Dread on my everyday normal one.

Great plan! I actually just ran all 4 in a row the other day (AM2R instead of 2 or SR as well) and it was a blast. AM2R gave me some trouble, died a couple times a ways from a save point and I got lost in the gravity suit area. And as much as I've played Super, I managed to get horribly lost in pre-grapple Norfair, Lower Norfair, and Ridley Escape. Weirdly I blew through Maridia, where I always get lost.

Speaking of blowing through, Fusion was super quick, despite me being half asleep (started it on hour 10.5 of streaming or something) and randomly typing in chat about Dread with a couple followers. Hell, the last half hour was done after taking my sleeping pill.

Very fun experience and put me in the right mood for Dread and today's trailer just made that hype skyrocket

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Less you got some bird seed

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I should really tackle super Metroid before this one. Never played a Samus before

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Samus Returns more then AM2R myself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
AM2R is a continuation of Zero Mission, remaking the second game in the mold of Super Metroid plus some of the post-SM control improvements like shoulder button missiles and ledge grabs. It's got some very nice pixel art for a free fangame, and it goes to some pretty inventive lengths in re-imagining the environments of Metroid II.

Samus Returns at the time seemed to be borrowing ideas from the most hated Metroid game, Other M, it's a bit too ambitious with its 3D leading to 30 fps instead of some gorgeous pixel art with parallax, it's less inventive with the environments than AM2R, and it doesn't even have all the original enemies from Metroid II.

However Dread is recontextualizing Samus Returns not as a dead end and missed chance to get one last pixel art 2D entry in the series before it went fully Prime/3D, but as an evolutionary step and the way forward for the series. Stuff like the counter kills and free aiming now seem to be fully realized in Dread and we can appreciate what they were trying to do in moving the side scrolling series forward. And with Dread we know it wasn't a dead end at all, that the side scrolling gameplay can continue and evolve with 3D graphics.

Also, between the two, the 8 way aiming limitation really does make the numerous metroid fights in AM2R much more annoying than they have to be, the free aiming and counter window really help make them less tedious in Samus Returns.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm excited for Dread and building out hope for a Fusion remake.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I genuinely encourage people to try out Metroid 1 and 2. I played them last year via the Switch and 3DS respectively. Rewind and Save States help immensely especially in the former if you begin to find it tedious.

Yes Metroid 1 doesn't control great, omg is it a loving labyrinth, and you really can't do much, but it's incredibly exciting and creepy. The fact that it is incredibly easy to get lost really encourages map-making, or at least a drat good memory. You take paths systematically and mark them off for return or not. Rewind helps when you lose health to very cheap environmental traps and bad controls. It shows off the fundamentals that would result in the game being what it is. Zero Mission is without a doubt much better, but Metroid needed to be this to become that.

Same for Metroid 2. It controls a lot better than you'd expect and is a lot prettier too. The green tint and tiny screen go a long way in creating a real sense of unease and claustrophobia. It's super linear, but you really feel like you're cave-diving. Save states help here especially with the boss battles. I also really liked the gameplay concept. You hunt down metroids, you even have a counter for them. It's different from exploring areas and beating an area boss, and I wouldn't mind that being revisited. I haven't done AM2R but I did Samus Returns, which is good aside from the common complaints. It was hampered due to the limitations from the original namely, and it does not do to 2 what Zero Mission did to 1. Nonetheless, I think it's worth experiencing the original because it nailed what Metroid's atmosphere should be.

---

Samus is one of most famous women in video games. Notably, she's not a damsel in distress, she's incredibly autonomous and powerful, and she can kick as much rear end as any male figure. One of the big reasons Other M was criticized was due to her portrayal of the opposite of all that. Considering it's always been the same guy, Sakamoto, I assume he never meant for her to be such a strong female character. You're rewarded with skimpier versions of her outfits based on how fast you beat the game, which feels like it was meant to be some sort of cheesecake. It's really cool how that's all been rather neatly avoided and she became the badass character she is. I don't like the re-imagining we've gotten since Zero Mission, of a thin waif-ish blonde, but I guess it hasn't changed much. I miss the green-haired brickhouse Samus, even if that was probably never intended.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have tried them and they suck

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I remember playing Metroid 1 on the NES and it was insanely painful. Never bothered to go back to it via emulation because the lack of a cartridge battery meant the password system was absolute loving nightmare fuel and I had awful memories of it as a result. Really fond of Super Metroid and in fact its the only one I actually finished but it is absolutely top 10 platformers of all time for me so I'm still considering myself a Metroid fan

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6fceLfjB4s

I agree that Metroid and Metroid II should be played at least for a little while just to appreciate their atmosphere and how far the series has come, but no one should try to beat them or anything. They're not worth sticking with or playing for that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xda6XkkEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZCWilfQzk

OhFunny posted:

I'm excited for Dread and building out hope for a Fusion remake.
Other M already exists

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I remember beating Metroid 2 as a kid and feeling pretty pleased with myself. I never got Metroid for NES but did really enjoy Super Metroid. Not having studied the lore of the series I really don't want them trying to explain the Chozo and ancient civilization stuff too much, it's more interesting as a mystery. Similar to the H.R. Giger aliens from Alien from which (let's face it) the series draws strong inspiration. It's not as fascinating if they try to explain it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played a lot of Metroid 2 as a kid and it still has a special place in my heart, but it is very confusing and tough to navigate. It is, however, mercifully short and easy to beat in one sitting as an adult. It’s definitely easier to play than the original Metroid. I can remember only a few years ago getting stuck in the bubble part of Norfair because I couldn’t find the one secret bombable block that lets you continue on. So stupid and frustrating.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Super Metroid is probably the most universally acclaimed game in the series. Beautiful visuals that took advantage of the more powerful SNES hardware, an actual plot, and gameplay that would be perfect if it weren’t for the God drat wall jump. A game to really sink your teeth into. Sequence breaks! Kickass laser upgrades! The Baby! This game has it all. I still like Zero Mission better though. Can I Kill Ridley In This One? The entire game is about killing Ridley. The act of killing Ridley is so crucial that they put it on the box.

You kill Ridley! You exposed Mother Brain to covid again! You have saved the day!

And then... (is this the greatest example of 7/4 music?)

When I first played Super Metroid, and got to the last battle - it was a combination of "gently caress yea!...oh c'mon...OH gently caress OFF...WHOA...oh no :(...IT'S ON BITCH...oh gently caress me the stress".

If a boss battle can do all that, it's a good one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Actually these are much shorter Metroid and Metroid II videos than the ones from the guy who did the hour long critique of Other M and tell you everything you really need to know about them and their pace in the franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJwGvTwmRB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZIvSwOLFU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

This design is so loving cool, but the fact it's using a spear kind of cracks me up.
It's like "the Chozo have created the most advanced and powerful weaponary in the known Galaxy. Let's use the POINTY STICK"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

"You'll never be attacked by a Chozo!"

Well maybe it's just another Torizo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This design is so loving cool, but the fact it's using a spear kind of cracks me up.
It's like "the Chozo have created the most advanced and powerful weaponary in the known Galaxy. Let's use the POINTY STICK"
I mean symbolic and ceremonial weapons still exist even though we have guns today

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 28, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Only the coolest get a gun. :v:

Also I really get some Prime 1 Varia Suit vibes from that armor. Intentional or not, it's a touch I appreciate.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 28, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No shoes, surfer bro

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

The United States posted:

I mean symbolic and ceremonial weapons still exist even though we have guns today

Yeah except it's not symbolic nor ceremonial. We get a glimpse of that guy in trailer and it's all he uses.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Maybe he's a space weeb and he got his dad to fork over the cash to buy it at A-cen?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Yeah except it's not symbolic nor ceremonial. We get a glimpse of that guy in trailer and it's all he uses.
Look, you have one little mishap accidentally destroying a generator with an arm canon overload and you get busted down to a millennia of guard duty with a ceremonial weapon

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Fed Force was a solidly fun co-op campaign that I strongly feel would have faired significantly better had Nintendo decided not to shoot their foot clean off by releasing it after a 5-year Metroid hiatus and off the back of Other M. And maybe priced it a bit cheaper. And axed the shite Rocket League wannabe mode Blast Ball rather than making it the primary marketing focus of the whole thing.

Next Level developed it, so the actual campaign is a good time if you've got some friends to play it with, and if you're into Metroid lore it's canon to the timeline and touches on some interesting stuff (including what Prime 4 is probably going to be about). It was just released at the worst possible time in the worst possible way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Zero Mission is an excellent remake that tacks on some stupid poo poo at the end

gently caress you, it ends in the most badass way possible: letting you go super saiyin on an entire pirate ship

Trying to get through all 3 2D games before Dread comes out which shouldn't be too tough; got through 90% of Zero Mission last night. Super Metroid is definitely the most complex of the 2D games though, especially considering the wealth of optional upgrades you can get.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TaurusOxford posted:

Only the coolest get a gun. :v:

Also I really get some Prime 1 Varia Suit vibes from that armor. Intentional or not, it's a touch I appreciate.

Unfortunately the rift between the Prime games and the core numbered series will continue as the Military Chozo will refer to any Chozo from Talon IV and the like as "Hippie Commune Birds" and they're glad their brethren all became ghosts after suffering the effects of Phazon Madness.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The United States posted:

However Dread is recontextualizing Samus Returns not as a dead end and missed chance to get one last pixel art 2D entry in the series before it went fully Prime/3D, but as an evolutionary step and the way forward for the series. Stuff like the counter kills and free aiming now seem to be fully realized in Dread and we can appreciate what they were trying to do in moving the side scrolling series forward. And with Dread we know it wasn't a dead end at all, that the side scrolling gameplay can continue and evolve with 3D graphics.

Also, between the two, the 8 way aiming limitation really does make the numerous metroid fights in AM2R much more annoying than they have to be, the free aiming and counter window really help make them less tedious in Samus Returns.

This was a huge crux of what made Samus Returns so fun for me on replay on my marathon of 2D games I did a bit ago, actually, but also looking at what Mercury Steam was doing to try and bridge the gap for a lot of power ups to be more useful than one and dones or borderline useless poo poo like Super Metroid's Grapple Beam by giving them more cool stuff do makes me eager to see what's done with the power ups in Dread now that they've had practice. The one time it fell flat for me was the conveyance on the Power Bomb launcher with Spider Ball, which I feel needed just one extra step of conveyance, maybe with a little pillbug dude doing something similar in the back, to really cinch it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Random Metroid thoughts:

Prime 1 was the first Metroid game I played and I loved it. The way that the world connected just felt perfect. Every time a path looped back around to a new part of an old area felt great. I was disappointed that the subsequent Primes progressively abandoned that design.

I have never been able to get into the original Metroid or Super Metroid. I didn't have a NES or SNES as a kid and the more archaic design philosophies drag on me without having any nostalgia.

I played Fusion when it was new and don't remember much about it. The original Fusion suit still looks cool though.

I beat Samus Returns last night. I liked the various QoL improvements over the old 2D games, with the pre and post boss checkpoints being a huge boon to me. I'm eager to see how Dread expands on it.

Samus in Dread with the white suit has absolutely bonkers hips and I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Metroid Lore Catch Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJHdTHwVVI