Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
There's an Other M hack that removes the first person missiles (did you know Samus has a full third person missile animation?), does its best to fix the writing, and makes it so the Power Suit was damaged by the Hyper Beam which is why Samus can't use her upgrades through the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/6msbxg/other_m_maxximum_edition_fix_hack_first_release/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cirus posted:

There's an Other M hack that removes the first person missiles (did you know Samus has a full third person missile animation?), does its best to fix the writing, and makes it so the Power Suit was damaged by the Hyper Beam which is why Samus can't use her upgrades through the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/6msbxg/other_m_maxximum_edition_fix_hack_first_release/

okay cool but you're still playing other m instead of any prime game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

This Hack posted:

Purple Gravity suit in gameplay: though I can’t do much about what model the cutscenes use or the visor being green without affecting Varia, you will now get to run around in glorious purple when Gravity comes online.

I loving forgot about this and now I'm pissed about it all over again.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-akUauQyV4

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The single most underrated part of NES Metroid are the spooky monster faces some screens had.
You mean the boss lair entrances? Yeah those are actually a pretty good use of just a few unique tiles to create quite an impression.

I think the spookiest thing in NES Metroid are actually the chozo statues, the simple graphics make them look more like dessicated mummified husks of giants than stone statues.

Also NES red fetus mother brain is more unsettling than eyeball mother brain.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 31, 2021

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

cirus posted:

this is some impressive commitment to turd polishing

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The United States posted:

It's the giant rectangles that just say "here be norfair (fire zone)!" that make it hilarious and nigh-useless.
Sure but that's intended. The point of the map is so you know that general area is called Norfair and by the time you get to it you're familiar enough with the game mechanics to map it yourself.

They could at least have mapped out the major thoroughfares and kept things mysterious by just leaving some passageways as "mapping probe destroyed, no data found" or somesuch scifi nonsense.
Well also Norfair basically is a rectangle with corridors taking up the entire map space. It's quite dense.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Other M is a the heavily edited Galactic Federation report version of events in between Super and Fusion, commissioned post-Fusion as a form of character assassination as Samus is now a wanted criminal. It's propaganda used by the Federation to explain why one of the greatest heroes of the galaxy is now a dangerous mentally unstable PTSD ridden criminal.

That's the only way I can internalize that turd as being canon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Other M is a the heavily edited Galactic Federation report version of events in between Super and Fusion, commissioned post-Fusion as a form of character assassination as Samus is now a wanted criminal. It's propaganda used by the Federation to explain why one of the greatest heroes of the galaxy is now a dangerous mentally unstable PTSD ridden criminal.

That's the only way I can internalize that turd as being canon.

I like that interpretation

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I like that interpretation

It'd also explain why Adam is a psychopath to Samus in Other M. He was a well respected officer of the Galactic Federation and people blame Samus as being responsible for his death so they sneak in instances of cruelty towards Samus which never happened.

The real Adam is much like AI Adam from Fusion, stern but otherwise a pretty cool guy.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm so scared of this well-known monster that I have unflinchingly killed at least 5 times prior to this point that I am going to literally turn into a little girl out of fear :qq:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm so scared of this well-known monster that I have unflinchingly killed at least 5 times prior to this point that I am going to literally turn into a little girl out of fear :qq:

meanwhile in the metroid dread trailer, kraid's shrieking toothy maw is like six inches from samus' face and she doesn't flinch. her power beam is even charging up!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The single most underrated part of NES Metroid are the spooky monster faces some screens had.

Those were pretty neat

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways I'm extremely excited to once again blow away space pirates in Metroid.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Alright, got my thoughts together and some time, so now it's time to cover Metroid II: Return of Samus!

Of all the Metroid games I've played, this is the one I missed entirely when it was newer, apart from very short play sessions where I got bored as a kid on my friend's copy. Going back to it now, I think this is the Metroid game I enjoyed the absolute least of any of them, though to be fair a bit of that is because I played a dramatically QoL enhanced Metroid 1. To go over the positives first, this game has a fair few improvements over the first game, like being able to shoot downwards, recharge stations intermittently scattered around the world, and actual save points to stop by. In addition, graphically I would say Metroid's starting to come into its identity more here, up to and including the pauldrons on the Varia Suit, and some of the new power ups are pretty neat additions to Samus' arsenal like the Space Jump and Plasma Beam.

Now for the bad. For starters, the hardware is very obviously holding this game back despite its multitude of improvements, both in how the game plays and in the sound department, mostly in some of the music tracks. For gameplay, the control is still quite a bit stiff with 4 directional aiming only, and Samus feels really REALLY slow to an unpleasant degree for me. Then we get to the Metroid fights and never mind how repetitive they get, they're also boring and bad to fight, apart from the Metroid Queen who manages to be a decent ending to the game.

Now, for a somewhat controversial take, I actually didn't mind the linearity of Metroid II, since I don't think exploring quarantined sections of the world is a bad design choice in of itself given the handheld nature of the game. Really, it's how clunky all the systems and boss fights are in Metroid II that make it my least favorite of the series to play, and not one I intend to go back to any time soon. Give it a try, however, since a lot of people see much more than I do in it, and if it doesn't work, there are two competent remakes that do a better job of telling the story of Samus' adventure through SR-388.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Again I'm going to plug the Metroid II - EJRTQ Colorization patch. It doesn't make the game perfect, but playing in color on a nice IPS display (or an emulator) is a world of difference compared to playing the original release on the ghostly DMG screen.

Regarding the Metroid II metroids, missiles in Metroid II basically have no cooldown, as soon as the missile makes contact with its target you can fire again. So the "best" way to handle metroids is to get as close as possible and rapid-fire pump them full of missiles. I've always done it manually, but if you have a turbo feature on your controller it's absolutely appropriate for this.

This technique also works during the queen fight. When I was replaying this game regularly I could defeat her in under 30 seconds without even using the belly bomb trick.

Metroid II's music is definitely a departure from the first title. Honestly I'm not really a fan of the ruins theme. The main theme (played in the first area and the lava tunnels) is pretty awesome, as is the theme for the final area which I find particularly haunting. The rest of the areas have ambient tracks that I find appropriate for the game, but then I've been playing it for 30 years too.

It's a totally fair statement that Metroid II is the worst of the 2D Metroids, although I think it's a definitely improvement over OG Metroid in terms of controls and the QoL enhancements you've mentioned. I still think that it's a high-watermark for the Game Boy platform, particularly in 1991. For me, it's a fun game to occasionally revisit--of course, with the benefit of having memorized the map many years ago.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I refuse to be a guinea pig for the Metroid Vaccine. The X-Parasite (or as I like to call it, the Chozo Virus) is a Federation plot. The real Samus died on Zebes. Wake up sheeple!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So many got dang anti varia suit chuds out there you'd think the galaxy wasn't at peace.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Metroidvanias that are actually way more Metroid than Vania:

-Axiom Verge

Interestingly enough axiom verge 2 came out recently and it's way more Vania than Metroid.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
AV2 definitely, intentionally, plays different that AV1 but it doesn't strike me as particularly Castlevania-like. It's more like a side scrolling Zelda: LttP?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's Zelda 2. Axiom Verge 2 is Zelda 2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The only Metroids I've finished are Super Metroid and Prime 1. I have the trilogy and enjoyed playing through Prime but Prime 2 is kind of a slog. I don't like the ammo system and having to go between light and dark worlds makes backtracking a chore. I finished Prime in a week and im on like half a year of on and off prime 2 and I just got the echo visor. I'll get to 3 when I eventually finish 2.

I'm more into the castlevania part of metroidvania but metroid is good too.

And the prime games are better with the motion controls. I played 1 on gamecube years back and I can't go back to the controller for it.

edit: while I'm at it, Axiom Verge 1 is possibly the worst metroidvania I've ever played. I hate it.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 31, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Overbite posted:

The only Metroids I've finished are Super Metroid and Prime 1. I have the trilogy and enjoyed playing through Prime but Prime 2 is kind of a slog. I don't like the ammo system and having to go between light and dark worlds makes backtracking a chore. I finished Prime in a week and im on like half a year of on and off prime 2 and I just got the echo visor. I'll get to 3 when I eventually finish 2.

I'm more into the castlevania part of metroidvania but metroid is good too.

And the prime games are better with the motion controls. I played 1 on gamecube years back and I can't go back to the controller for it.

edit: while I'm at it, Axiom Verge 1 is possibly the worst metroidvania I've ever played. I hate it.

If you got the echo visor you’re almost done with the last main area before the endgame so you’re very close. Stick with it!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want a pet sim game whuch lets you take care of critters from Metroid.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Gotta say that as a 90's kid who played the heckin' heck out of II and Super, popping in Prime for the first time was a genuine THRILLHO experience.

I can count my THRILLHO's on one hand.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How good or bad is Hyper Metroid

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Goddamn does the grapple hook suck in Super Metroid. I, however, love meridia which seems to be an unpopular opinion. Maybe it's just the music.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I also love Maridia, I just hated having to intuit that the glass hallway could be power bombed.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Oxxidation posted:

meanwhile in the metroid dread trailer, kraid's shrieking toothy maw is like six inches from samus' face and she doesn't flinch. her power beam is even charging up!

They kind of started that in Samus Returns; when you finally kill Diggernaut, Samus finishes it off with a charged shot she doesn’t even bother to look to make sure it’s connecting. Felt like she was saying “I am so loving done with this thing”, which as the player was a pretty mutual feeling.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

They kind of started that in Samus Returns; when you finally kill Diggernaut, Samus finishes it off with a charged shot she doesn’t even bother to look to make sure it’s connecting. Felt like she was saying “I am so loving done with this thing”, which as the player was a pretty mutual feeling.

It was a thing all the way in the Prime games too, I remember the first Dark Samus cutscene where she just points her cannon dead on at it as they have their staredown. I think Mercury Steam likes that stuff as much as I do, and implemented it to their 2D work.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Overbite posted:

The only Metroids I've finished are Super Metroid and Prime 1. I have the trilogy and enjoyed playing through Prime but Prime 2 is kind of a slog. I don't like the ammo system

Have you collected any ammo expansions, and more importantly, been destroying objects with the opposite beam that you have low ammo of?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W2VkahmHpM

ExcessBLarg! posted:

AV2 definitely, intentionally, plays different that AV1 but it doesn't strike me as particularly Castlevania-like. It's more like a side scrolling Zelda: LttP?
I think it's fair to say something is more on the 'Vania side if most of the attacks are melee instead of ranged.

Bluff Buster posted:

I also love Maridia, I just hated having to intuit that the glass hallway could be power bombed.
It was shown in the attract screen and the american television ad, but yeah, it breaks all conventions of what is and isn't destructible so it's not a connection you can make without outside information

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I really like how in samus returns she doesnt flinch when ridley appears at the end, really just hammers home how dumb that plot point was that it was immediately abandoned

And yet strangely they gave her a bit more time with the baby so i guess that her forming some kind of attachment to it is still canon?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really like how in samus returns she doesnt flinch when ridley appears at the end, really just hammers home how dumb that plot point was that it was immediately abandoned

And yet strangely they gave her a bit more time with the baby so i guess that her forming some kind of attachment to it is still canon?

There's nothing wrong with her having an attachment to the Baby Metroid really, other m just overdoes it to an insane degree.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
samus' treatment of the baby in SR is fairly understated and felt like a retroactive attempt to justify its actions in super metroid

makes sense that she'd be a little fascinated by an example of this genetically engineered energy-vampire species that wasn't immediately hostile, and very opposed to it being abducted by ridley of all people

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
CODE NAME: Baby's cry, so named because it was like the cry of a baby. BABY

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TaurusOxford posted:

Have you collected any ammo expansions, and more importantly, been destroying objects with the opposite beam that you have low ammo of?

Yeah but I didn't know about "destroy box with dark beam to get light beam ammo" until more than halfway through the game. I would just use the regular shot.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Regy Rusty posted:

There's nothing wrong with her having an attachment to the Baby Metroid really, other m just overdoes it to an insane degree.

Also it’s worth noting that both Super and Fusion made it clear Samus has a soft spot for cute animals.
Which means her saving Pikachu and letting him hang around her in Brawl was totally in character.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Samus Returns is a little weird in how many items you can only get once you have the baby but by then you will almost certainly have more than enough of everything to beat Ridley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I think it's fair to say something is more on the 'Vania side if most of the attacks are melee instead of ranged.
AV1's.run-and-gun combat feels more like Contra+Rygar to me. Unlike Metroid you don't actually get more powerful beams throughout the game, just different behaving ones.

AV2 is less combat-centric than AV1. Yes, I can see how the melee attacks feel more like Castlevania (and maybe AoS/DoS specifically instead of the whip ones), but I was thinking more in its exploration style and specifically the dual world mechanics.