Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A Big... Dog posted:

This helped - I found it totally by accident in a panic after reading that. Thanks!

Can you help me out, then? I too got the Wide Beam as my last upgrade, and even with the hint they gave you I have been wandering around and am totally stumped.]

Edit: And of course I find a path five minutes after I post this.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kraid was an interesting boss fight. I died to phase one a few times, but phase two was like falling into an old familiar pattern and I killed it on my first attempt.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Experiment No. Z-57 is a fine boss mechanically, but goddamn you could cut his health in half and still have a solid, challenging boss fight.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BisbyWorl posted:

Phantoon is easy as long as you know to never use a Super Missile on him.

Things get very dicey, very quickly if you ever shoot him with a super.

What really? I grew up playing Super and I never knew anything about this. Does he behave differently if you don't Super Missile him?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

tuo posted:

He becomes faster/angry if you hit him with a super missile.

Huh, well now I know. I just always assumed he was naturally that hard.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shyfted One posted:

I'm so lost as to where to go next. Just got trapped and had to take the green teleporter. I feel like the gravity suit should be next, but I don't know where to go. I went as far as I could down the bomb path to the right of the teleporter, but it ends with speed blocks I have no idea how to get past it. In the main flooded area there is a plasma door on the left I can open, but can't get to because it's too high. gently caress I hate speed and shine puzzles.

If you have the Space Jump, you can use that to get to the plasma door in the flooded area by jumping from a point above it and sink-spinning your way over.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

100% items in just under 13 hours. I'm not someone who buys new full price games very often, especially not relatively short ones. But this was a lot of fun.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

fadam posted:

How do I dodge the last boss’s dash attack when he’s in bird mode? I can’t duck it and can’t phase through it.

If you mean the horizontal one, you can slide under it. If you mean the vertical one, just move to one side.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I did the same drat thing, you are not alone.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Humerus posted:

My only other complaint is the (admittedly rather few) parts where your path back is permanently blocked, forcing you to take a longer route any time after. Stuff like the grapple blocks and thermal doors. Once we have the power bombs we should really be able to just destroy them.

Unless there's a way that I just cannot find at all even after getting 100% items, there's no way to get from the east half of the forest zone back into the west section without going to the water zone and taking the elevator up. One path is blocked by a Wide Beam box you had to move, and the only other connection is a trap floor that you fall through.

I love the game, but this drives me a little mad.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

galagazombie posted:

How is it that Retro perfected how to do a map for 3D spaces back in 2002 and absolutely no one has done anything similar. Prime/2/3 has the most easy to use, sensible and readable map in 3D game history and no one has ever even tried to rip it off. It’s not like “rotating 3D map” is a concept specific enough for Retro to copyright. What’s the deal?

I was wondering the same drat thing the other day, it's a good question.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Finally sat down and did the back half of Fusion. Still a great game, was worth getting the Switch Online expansion for. If they add Zero Mission (and in my dream world Blast Corps) it will be even more worth it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Darth Nat posted:

Super Metroid walljumping was extremely hard for me as a kid because my child brain could not grasp the concept that you have to press the opposite direction slightly before jumping. I remember literally softlocking myself in that area in Brinstar that tries to teach you to walljump because I just could not get out. As an adult, it's pretty simple now.

I had this problem too, probably never would have gotten out of there if I hadn't gotten the player's guide with my NP subscription.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

cheetah7071 posted:

Super has a very different philosophy. Getting better and better at them doesn't mean taking no damage, it means taking less damage, in a smooth progression. Having an extra E tank or two legitimately makes the boss a lot easier, because at anything below speedrunner skill levels, you're supposed to be trading hits. So if you get stuck on Ridley, you legitimately do have two options: to grind the boss until you get good enough that you don't take too much damage; or, to explore the world and find enough upgrades that it's beatable at your current skill level. It's brilliant design work, imo.

This is sort of related to my one big complaint about Dread, a game I otherwise love. Getting more energy tanks doesn't really make you all that much stronger, because by the time you have them even regular enemies will take off an entire tank just by bumping into you. I like the concept of, as you described, being able to trade hits with bosses. Maybe this is because I grew up with Super, maybe it's just because I'm bad at video games. But if I take the time to hunt down a bunch of tanks, I want to be able to live a lot longer as a reward.

Edit: I've been playing through Dread again recently too, and goddamn the bit with all the X escaping containment in Elun just chills me every time.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah but Dread mode is specifically a special challenge for people who want that. Which is just fine, I'm glad it's there. No reason not to have it But I want to be able to survive a little longer when I play on old person Normal mode.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

DoctorWhat posted:

The move towards mobility focused gameplay in the Metroid series and in the metroidvania genre as a whole reflects general trends for action gamers. When Metroid games were trying to be tent pole titles, parts of their game design had to make room for less dexterous or self-improvement-focused players. Nowadays the genre appeals directly to souls-adjacent technical players looking for speed runnable games where skill and expression are rewarded.

Tanking hits and accumulating numbers to cushion against mistakes and survive attrition doesn't resonate with gamers in the age of challenge runs and speed running and viral twitch clips. Games need to look impressive regardless of the actual level of difficulty.

This makes sense but speaking as the less dextrous I still hate it. :smith:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

hughesta posted:

replaying super metroid and man it's crazy how good this game is. flawless.

Except for the god-awful default control scheme, but that can be changed at least.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Xenomrph posted:

If I’m going to play on Switch emulation, what’s the best control scheme? Or can I not change it? In which case, welp, lol

Luckily it's changeable right in the game itself, so you can do it on the Switch yes. (But not in the SP version, because that one throws you directly into a game in progress instead of the title screen.)

My personal recommendation is something a little closer to Dread's control scheme: Y to shoot, B to jump, A to dash, X to item cancel.

But really pick whatever works for you, I just know I could never play will with the default setup myself.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Saying something is fine for speedrunners seems to me like it's basically the opposite of saying something is good in day to day play among the masses. Speedrunners would dance on razors if it was the way to take half a second off their best time. Which is fine, more power to them. Doesn't mean the rest of us want to slice our feet up, though.

Edit: That said, I agree that the ability to customize most of it goes a long way in this case.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I'm okay with admitting that I wasn't very good at a lot of the Dread bosses, even on Normal. I'm old, have weak eyesight and not the greatest hand-eye coordination. A lot of people are going to be better than me at games, and I'm fine with that.