Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So I've seen a few people posting about emulating the Prime trilogy with mouse and keyboard which I'm kind of tempted to try even though I've completed all of those games a couple of times over now.

However, I never completed Other M despite buying it on launch day (I think I dropped it somewhere around the infamous Varia suit moment). Would it be possible to do some kind of nightmare controller mapping in Dolphin that would put that game's mess of a control scheme onto a standard controller? Or if I really am determined to put myself through this should I just dig my Wii out of the loft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It'll probably work fine given that the motion controls were piss poorly implemented anyway. Especially if you use the Other M Maxximum Edition mod which lets you fire missiles in third person view.

The question is, why would you want to play Other M.

Curiosity? I've completed most of the Metroid series in one form or another (Zero Mission and AM2R in place of the first two, and I need to get a Switch for Dread) so part of me sees it as something I should do if I'm going to call myself a Metroid fan. That mod sounds interesting though, I'll take a look at it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Mr. Maggy posted:

i'll have you know i bought it on gog or something just because it was part of a pack where if you took daikatana out of the pack, the price of the pack went up dramatically

The "John Romero's bitch" tax

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I honestly kind of liked what they were going for with the Other M control scheme but then I'm one of those weirdos that thought it was great that No More Heroes played phone calls through the lovely Wiimote speaker. I just can't be bothered with digging my Wii out and setting it up.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Amppelix posted:

yes, and you don't even have to do it yourself!

here's the control scheme i used for other M on dolphin which i got from somewhere i can't find now. just drop this into your dolphin control config folder and you're done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2z6IkAE3jSSKImYBaoE3IXa2xhxx2qd/view

just this makes the game a lot better already, i would recommend it any day over sideways wiimote on the actual console

Awesome, thank you so much!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Spark smarter, not harder

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Gruckles posted:

Dread has the top Samus character moments
1. Samus sitting on the ground and relaxing her posture after Quiet Robe shows up like "hey dude, what's up"
2. Samus sitting in a la-z-boy while riding the orb cannon elevator to the final boss

3. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

C-SPAN Caller posted:

and that makes way more sense, as she basically is hired to go kill stuff

wonder why it got changed/stuck as bounty hunter since we Metroid Prime: Hunters existed including that title

Someone at Nintendo saw Empire Strikes Back and their takeaway was "bounty hunter = cool space guy"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I really like the concept of this if not the execution

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

One thing that Metroid games from Super onwards (and Dread seems to be no exception to this) actually tend to be good at is locking you into a smaller part of the map until you've demonstrated a particular skill or overcome a challenge, so that you're not overwhelmed by the possible places to go and focus your toolkit on a smaller number of rooms. The infamous example from Super is the noob bridge but there's also the lower Brinstar section - once you've been dumped in there there's no way out until you find the high jump.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

TeaJay posted:

I've never actually even thought Kraids as a whole species instead of just one super being born out of mutation or genetic experimentation or something. Of course it absolutely makes sense when you start to think about it. There are even mini Kraids in Super Metroid

I always just assumed he was big on cloning decoys of himself given OG Metroid has a fake Kraid too.

In Dread the way he acts towards Samus feels kind of personal though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Asterite34 posted:

Thank goodness Other M cleared up that plot hole! :dumb:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I finally completed Other M earlier this week, 11 years after buying it on launch day. It's bad, folks.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So many parts of Other M just feel like a lesser copy of Fusion

- Space station split into sectors
- Secret area where they're breeding Metroids that gets jettisoned
- Nightmare
- Adam locking doors so that you can't stray too far

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hrist posted:

The pixel hunts (I forgot they existed until just now) and the missile aiming were really bad. I think if they removed those things, and allowed a normal controller option, the gameplay would have been fine. Maybe not great. But probably alot more tolerable. But the story is just nonsense. They'd have to just remove it and put in some of the show don't tell that the older games had. Other M needs an overhaul on everything.

I also heard someone on a pod cast the other day blaming the story on Team Ninja, after they played it the first time recently. Which is amazing. But I guess we're so far removed from the event that people are getting the facts confused already.

When I emulated it I used a cheat code that allows for missiles to be fired in third person view and yeah it's still not great. Dodge being mapped to movement with zero cooldown meant I spent most boss battles randomly wiggling the stick until they finished attacking. It's a really half baked approximation of a character action game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You should play Dark Souls op, dying over and over is explicitly part of the game's story

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’ve accepted that whenever I start Elden Ring I can never ask for help online because a horde of Fromsoft fans will trip over themselves to yell “Get Gude” in response.

I realise this is a bit of hyperbole but I picked up Dark Souls in the Christmas break, completed it and I'm currently playing through Dark Souls 2 and the goon souls thread / discord have been nothing but supportive and good natured throughout me posting my many, many deaths. The community has a reputation but anything that kills you has also killed someone else who'll laugh and say "yeah, that got me too".

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The Metroid Fusion Open Randomiser is an excellent mod if you like how Fusion plays but want a more open map. It checks all of the plot flags so that you can go anywhere from the start (as long as you have the right abilities and have unlocked the relevant doors). It's pretty easily customisable and includes a difficulty slider that basically controls how rude the game can expect you to get with shinesparks.

Oh yeah if you do play it make sure that you don't save other than at a sector entrance. There's a couple of spots (lower sector 2, some later bits of sector 6) where you can soft lock yourself by going in without the right items to get yourself out.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I like the missile upgrade early in Fusion that can be easily obtained if you can walljump. It seemed like a very clear wink to Super players.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fun randomiser fact: Fusion has single wall jumping if you get the screw attack without getting the space jump.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Anyone who's enjoyed revisiting Fusion should check out the randomiser. With the difficulty at the lowest setting it doesn't expect any sequence breaking style tricks so it becomes purely about exploration and map knowledge.

I recently tried the Zero Mission randomiser which is also really good but seems to be at its best if you can master single wall jumping / infinite bomb jumping which are the two tricks that break that game wide open, but they're also ones that I cannot do consistently enough to rely on. I should probably replay ZM vanilla to refresh my knowledge of the map as well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's a ton of completely pointless power bomb tanks iirc which I always found funny

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Most of the destructible blocks in SA-X rooms can also be destroyed by Samus so the game just leaves them as they are (which can lead to you soft locking yourself in lower sector 6 if you don't have power bombs - the SA-X would normally detonate one and open the way forward).

There is one big example of an area changing layout which is the big opening area of sector 5, which goes into a destroyed state at a certain point. In the randomiser it changes to destroyed when you pick up certain major upgrades.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Levitate posted:

ah right yeah I was going off Dread being the latest in the timeline and it's been a lonnnnng time since I played Fusion

e: regarding Fusion and Dread, I feel like the Shinespark puzzles weren't that bad in Dread...the one in Burnenia was probably the worst but I feel like Fusion had some terrible ones

Also half the endgame items in Fusion are just power bomb tanks. If you 100% the game you end up with 74 power bombs. SEVENTY FOUR! I didn't realise how bad it was until I did a randomiser run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

bawk posted:

I spend a lot of my time rotating the 3D Map/Model of everything from Sen's Fortress -> Tomb of the Giants in my brain.

Same, and no one can stop me.