Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Random Metroid thoughts:

Prime 1 was the first Metroid game I played and I loved it. The way that the world connected just felt perfect. Every time a path looped back around to a new part of an old area felt great. I was disappointed that the subsequent Primes progressively abandoned that design.

I have never been able to get into the original Metroid or Super Metroid. I didn't have a NES or SNES as a kid and the more archaic design philosophies drag on me without having any nostalgia.

I played Fusion when it was new and don't remember much about it. The original Fusion suit still looks cool though.

I beat Samus Returns last night. I liked the various QoL improvements over the old 2D games, with the pre and post boss checkpoints being a huge boon to me. I'm eager to see how Dread expands on it.

Samus in Dread with the white suit has absolutely bonkers hips and I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My biggest problem with revisiting Super Metroid is that I always found it slightly too hard and I don't like how the save system exists somewhat at odds with the exploration. Go too deep without a save and end up in a boss fight that you can't beat for one reason or another? Enjoy redoing all of that again and the save point still not necessarily being near the boss if you keep dying. I really liked the preboss checkpoints in Samus Returns because you were positioned right there to try again or could disengage if you needed to get more stuff first.

I like exploring and bosses in Metroid games. Anything that makes me fight the trash mobs extra times is a drag.

Its been a while since I played Metroid Prime so it might be similar (though maybe they put save stations near to bosses? I can't remember) but I really enjoyed how the movement worked in Prime. The double jump was magical and you get it pretty early. You need a lot more upgrades to where the movement starts feeling good to me in the 2D ones. In Samus Returns it was when I got the screw jump that it really started to feel good just moving around. In Fusion I remember having a hell of a time getting out of the Screw Jump pit because it seemed to assume you already played Super and knew how to use it. I couldn't get the timing right.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Samus Returns is a little weird in how many items you can only get once you have the baby but by then you will almost certainly have more than enough of everything to beat Ridley.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I only did one playthrough when the game came out but I only recall like three items that you need the baby to get. There's a bunch more you can obtain through more difficult platforming means that are made easier to get if you wait and do it with the baby instead.

I did do some of the hard platforming ones but I still felt like there was 1-2 in each zone where it was hard blocked by the crystals.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a preorder for the Special Edition of Dread from Walmart, which they later lowered the price of to the regular $60 for some reason as a 'price match'. I'm not sure what, if anything, is actually going to arrive on Friday but cool if its a $30 off Special Edition.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 5, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My copy of something that may or may not be the Metroid Dead Special Edition that got 'price matched' to $50 is still in Kentucky with an expected delivery of Tuesday.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My favorite thing about Prime 1 was the exploration of the world and how you'd continually find yourself in new areas or new parts of old sections. Prime 2 started to break that and 3 completely killed it by having every area be its own planet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Samus gets fused with Ridley's DNA for some reason and now she has wings

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They'll finally pick up the cliffhanger from Prime 3 where the ship from the DS game is following her. The guy is in armor and hates the Federation so he can be a Chozo space marine who is also a pirate, Ridley's brother and a Metroid.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Icon Of Sin posted:

Kick off the game with her absolutely unhinged feral scream from Dread, and I’m in :getin:

I appreciate the title of this video of that scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogRUwVCFBJM

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The thematically 'best' 3D map is the one in Control because its uselessness fits for a building that doesn't respect physical laws.

Hyped to pick up my physical copy of Switch Prime tonight.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Patches are still going to be available. New purchases is what's going away today.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Samus should have a more sensible hair style for someone who wears a full helmet most of the time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Augus posted:

it's a magic helmet and also who cares

sorry to upset you with the idea of short hair Samus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I want Prime 4 to have a really good interconnected map like 1 again.