Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So... no Other M poo poo in the story? Doesn't get weird with Samus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So....

It's fine? No weird Other M poo poo going on?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm getting mixed signals on the game's writing. Is it like fine but a bit dumb or is actually a problem again?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

The writing is generic but easily ignorable. It's not Other M's cringe-filled borderline sexist nonsense if that's what you're worried about. Samus is a badass and has free reign to be a badass.

All I needed to hear. Bad writing isnt necessarily a problem, but something like Other M is a dealbreaker.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man. Dread was a good loving game and I hope the Metroid suit shows up later in the series and also maybe in Smash.

Hell Raven Beak for Smash 6.

Amppelix posted:

i thought the setting felt way more creative than this. like for one it has a pretty good sense of place, it's clearly a bunch of video game levels but they put a lot of effort into giving the illusion that the places you explore actually served some purpose and people lived there once (which cannot be said for, say, samus returns which is just a completely meaningless set of twisty caves and corridors) and they pointedly did not just do generic lava area and generic water area, they put a bit of a twist on them too

i thought it was actually the best world a metroid game has had, like easily

Admittedly SR2388 was mostly natural cave system with a few small outposts set up by the Chozo and GF.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Okay, most bosses in this game might not be that memorable visually, but the final boss is THE COOLEST FIGHT IN ANY METROID.
The cutscene before it with the twist is very eh, who cares. But I do enjoy the fact that ADAM wasn't himself, because, yeah, he called her by name. I found that weird but didn't connect the two
Have to put down the game because I can't beat the thing yet.

Edit: by the way, am I missing something? Quiet Robe was nowhere to be seen after X overtook it, and what happened to that thing that was dead in the lab? It was gone, but I'm not entirely sure if it came back as a boss, because, yeah, the design wasn't really memorable...

Quiet Robe shows up in the ending cutscene, did you skip it?

I think the monster getting operated on became the generator room boss after getting X'd

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

shes gonna look like some Charles II of Spain-rear end poo poo by the end of the series

Samus has the exact opposite problem of inbreeding though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I think there's a fundamental difference between Dread and Souls bosses that didn't come up.

Souls games don't expect mechanical excellence. Especially the earlier ones. The games are slow. You have loads of time to react and act. Its a big part of the reason 'newbie plays dark souls' videos are fun. Cause the games are weirdly accessible in that way. The challenge in Souls games is understanding what you can and should do. Actually doing it tends to be very easy til you reach optional post game poo poo.

Souls bosses also tend to be rocket tag affairs rather than long punishing tests like in Dread or Hollow Knight.

Like I just find calling Dread's bosses soulslike kinda weird. The difficulty Dread pursues is very different.