Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I just finished playing through Samus Returns for the first time. Didn't really care for it! I mean, in the grand scheme of things it was a Metroid game and thus I did have fun playing it which is the ultimate goal, but the world design fell real flat. It's a remake, there's only so much you can change, yadda yadda, but I don't feel like there were any actually interesting puzzles to solve or moments of "how the gently caress do I get that" for the items. Every item upgrade felt entirely like the lock->key situation where all you needed to do was get whatever power up you didn't have for it and then it just fell into your lap. The shooting felt great, melee counter system felt like "good try", I probably don't actually have anything new to say that hasn't already been said on that front.

I did really like the combat design though, especially for the bosses. By the very nature of Metroid 2 the Metroid fights are gonna get repetitive, and gently caress the poo poo who decided to make some of them run away at lower health so you need to go chase them down, but each individual fight felt really well put together. The robot boss fight, Metroid Queen, and Ridley all felt great in terms of the kind of multi-stage difficult boss battles you don't really get as much anymore. There were some cool backgrounds and style throughout the game visually, even if it never looked super duper great.

I remember liking AM2R a bit more when I played through that at initial release, but good pixel art goes a long way to my heart and I preferred some of the shinespark puzzles in that one I think. Samus Returns is solid, but in a 6/10, good first effort sort of way that puts it much lower on the rung of Metroid games for me than Fusion, Super, and Zero. Hoping Dread is the Mega Man 2 to this game's Mega Man 1, and I can't really see myself ever revisiting SR even if I'm glad I played through it in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

lol what are/were people doing in the final boss fight to actually damage him through the armor at all? I just dodged everything until he did his full-floor dash, countered it three times, on to phase two.
I was definitely mashing him with missiles/charge shots/power bombs at first to see what worked before I gave up and just always-countered.

Mostly just curious if I was doing things the hard way or the easy way by comparison.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

A little over 6 hours in game time for the initial clear with a bit more than 50% last weekend, 8:02 for the clean-up to 100% this weekend. Spending a lot of time in Samus Returns dicking around with whether or not I could grab a power up and painstakingly leaving behind markers, I kinda just plowed through without giving any time towards stuff I assumed I couldn't get yet or doing any backtracking once I got new tools in Dread. The actual map clean-up in Samus Returns was swift and mostly painless once you actually had everything and I figured that would be the case here as well. There were one or two tricky to find rooms that required scouring the map to find a little tiny illuminated outline of a corner of a room I hadn't found, but the biggest time sinks in the remainder were definitely some of the more fucky Spineshark puzzles. Y'all know and have gif'd the ones.

Putting a week between main-pathing and item-exploring definitely warmed me up on the game; I loved it overall but also felt kinda cold at the end DESPITE really enjoying it, and stepping aside for a few days to come back and finish it up helped me a lot. Top tier Metroid, though I'll prolly keep juggling Fusion and Zero Mission for my favorites.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

The red-dash counter is how I thought you HAD to beat him at first because I just assumed he was immune to damage when I couldn't get any reliable tells on what the gently caress was happening with my various weapons against his lightning armor, so the thread taught me about making him go gold.

The secret is to use the dashing-melee straight into him and clash like two badass space samurais in the middle, not to stand still and wait to counter him hitting you.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

as someone who is generally Not A Speedrunner but likes to try for all the rewards in a metroid, is there a suggested or recommended sequence breaky/item path for sub-four hours? i made a pretty drat good clip through the game my first go round, but am not particularly confident if i throw myself back into it blind of the time-saving sequence break possibilities that that'll get shaved down enough with my current map familiarity

might just do a "however long it takes" hard mode playthrough before trying for a fast run anyway

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Samus has the last braincell in the universe

The galaxy is at peace.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

AM2R is still really good, but the Vita port loves to crash constantly after you get the speed booster! Guess this is as far as I go in this playthrough.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i have not played other m but even so i think i like it better than samus returns

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Playing Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion back to back to back recently I was surprised at how much my opinion on ZM fell. I remember REALLY liking it at launch, but this was my first time revisiting it pretty much sense then and it felt a bit more like a shrug. But I also think I remember a lot of the fun of it was sequence breaking / going for low percent and hard mode clears which makes it a much more interesting game than the first playthrough, and I wasn't spending that much time on them this time around.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

metroid just needs to embrace The Dress Up and have tons of different colored panels and doo-dads you can find and mix-and-match to create your own bad-rear end chozo armor design.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

I consider Super Metroid and Hollow Knight both essentially perfect games (I have gripes about both, but nothing that would knock them down to more than like a 9.9) but Hollow Knight definitely feels snappy and modern in a way that Super Metroid doesn't (because go figure it's a way more recent and modern game that is iterating on the great poo poo that came before). But I also think that works considering Metroid is a hulking dude in power armor and The Hollow Knight is a zippy little bug man. I personally strongly prefer HK's combat and how it interacts with its movement via pogoing or pushing yourself off of enemies but I've always felt "combat" is just something to do in Metroid in between actual boss fights while exploring.

I do also like how the badge system in HK lets you express your own play style preferences and having lots of minor modules that you could tweak in a Metroid game (as opposed to my not-really-shitpost of littering cosmetics all over) to change like, various beam properties or minor movement choices could be a cool bit for them to iterate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel the same way about time limits. There's a segment of the population who just get anxious over even the lightest time pressure and are unable to enjoy any video game where you can't go at as leisurely a pace you want. So if your goal as a game dev is to have a broad appeal, you'll never put them in. But I like time limits! I think they're fun! And I'm sad when they get removed, even if I fully understand the reasonable thought process that led to the removal.

Yeah, I don't think the original Dead Rising would have been nearly as interesting or compelling without its time limits. I also wouldn't want every single game to have that same system, and I remember it being incredibly polarizing and off-putting to most people on release.