Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I sacrificed the compass pin for the geo magnet pin almost immediately when I found it, because hoovering up some of the geo that normally falls off ledges was way more important than knowing my precise map location on an extremely well-landmarked map. I think i struggled for a couple areas and then never needed it again, hollow knight absolutely broke me of that habit. I still check the map often in other games, but I pay a lot more attention to the shape of rooms and the little set-dressing details in the rooms so it's easier to remember them. Which also makes it easier to remember where the ability gates are!

I even loved the fact that the map fills in by exploring and making your way back to checkpoints! It felt like I was learning a coherent space bit-by-bit with a diegetically-created map. It felt like a nice compromise where exploration had rewards and stakes, but nice enough to give the player an actual map instead of like Dark Souls where I spend a lot of my time rotating the 3D Map/Model of everything from Sen's Fortress -> Tomb of the Giants in my brain.

That being said, if you want to take the map itself away, you can pry it from my cold, buggy fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU