Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I genuinely encourage people to try out Metroid 1 and 2. I played them last year via the Switch and 3DS respectively. Rewind and Save States help immensely especially in the former if you begin to find it tedious.

Yes Metroid 1 doesn't control great, omg is it a loving labyrinth, and you really can't do much, but it's incredibly exciting and creepy. The fact that it is incredibly easy to get lost really encourages map-making, or at least a drat good memory. You take paths systematically and mark them off for return or not. Rewind helps when you lose health to very cheap environmental traps and bad controls. It shows off the fundamentals that would result in the game being what it is. Zero Mission is without a doubt much better, but Metroid needed to be this to become that.

Same for Metroid 2. It controls a lot better than you'd expect and is a lot prettier too. The green tint and tiny screen go a long way in creating a real sense of unease and claustrophobia. It's super linear, but you really feel like you're cave-diving. Save states help here especially with the boss battles. I also really liked the gameplay concept. You hunt down metroids, you even have a counter for them. It's different from exploring areas and beating an area boss, and I wouldn't mind that being revisited. I haven't done AM2R but I did Samus Returns, which is good aside from the common complaints. It was hampered due to the limitations from the original namely, and it does not do to 2 what Zero Mission did to 1. Nonetheless, I think it's worth experiencing the original because it nailed what Metroid's atmosphere should be.

---

Samus is one of most famous women in video games. Notably, she's not a damsel in distress, she's incredibly autonomous and powerful, and she can kick as much rear end as any male figure. One of the big reasons Other M was criticized was due to her portrayal of the opposite of all that. Considering it's always been the same guy, Sakamoto, I assume he never meant for her to be such a strong female character. You're rewarded with skimpier versions of her outfits based on how fast you beat the game, which feels like it was meant to be some sort of cheesecake. It's really cool how that's all been rather neatly avoided and she became the badass character she is. I don't like the re-imagining we've gotten since Zero Mission, of a thin waif-ish blonde, but I guess it hasn't changed much. I miss the green-haired brickhouse Samus, even if that was probably never intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The United States posted:

Metroidvanias that are actually way more Metroid than Vania:

-Axiom Verge
-Environmental Station Alpha
-XeoDrifter (really short 3DSware port)
-Gato Roboto (short but cute)

Any others?

A Robot Named Fight is a roguelike, but it's just an uglier Super Metroid. If you get into it, it's super fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

I would be fully down with a procedurally-generated component of Metroid, a Spelunky-like or something like that, something that prioritizes exploration and sharp eyes even on the replays, rather than memorizing paths and item locations.

It's not like SUPER good at randomizing things but that's A Robot Named Fight pretty much to a tee.