Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

let’s not get crazy now

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Metroid also kinda has the same problem as Uncharted where trying to make an actual movie out of it would just result in knockoff Alien.

No Dignity posted:

I think Metroid is extremely unfilmable as a feature film. The only way to do it justice imo would be as animated shorts going exclusively for mood, no one really wants to see 'Samus save the galaxy from space pirates/Dark Samus' and there's not enough meat on the structure of the narrative to sustain a coherent plot unless they were the parts of the setting people really don't like
Something like Genndy Clone Wars but with Metroid would be cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s kind of where the whole series started though :v:
That's the point, Metroid the Movie is like Alien: The Game: The Movie. Like the opposite of Street Fighter The Movie: The Game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

How is the latter even a thing? He does the pose and everything

I think the idea is less that the X is too stupid to know what it's doing and more the X always does the most optimal choice for survival (like killing metroids), and since Samus is the last Metroid in existence the best thing it can do is make her less Metroid-y. As for the pose we already know X-infected repeat the last thing their hosts did, like Quiet Robe X and Raven Beak X repeating their last words.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 3, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The progression in Hollow Knight where you start as a weak flobby baby and eventually become a flying mass of hitboxes works for that game but it would definitely make people mad in Metroid. Imagining the reaction to a Metroid game where Samus' movement starts significantly worse than the "basics", oof.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really not sure what you're saying is different about the collectables. I guess there's more of a variety? You got the six pale ores, the pieces of heart, the magic container fragments, the badges, the rancid eggs, and then after that there's outright vendor trash with no purpose but to trade for more Geo.

You're forgetting the airdash, the double jump, and the walljump, which all change the way the game is played dramatically.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't speak for the intentions of the Super Metroid developers but I don't think old (in this case NES/SNES era) games gave a poo poo about being accessible or easily beaten by most players.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

lets hang out posted:

i just rolled around dropping bombs on every title. did you have anything better to do as a kid

Yeah thinking is a sucker's game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Man, can you imagine if Metroid had implausibly colored objects in it that specifically showed you where to go or what weapon to use to open a door.

Nonsense, next thing you'll be suggesting the strangely unskippable door opening animations were disguising load times.