Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am so excited for Metroid!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's fun, but also really stupid, but also fun

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ROJO posted:

Isn't there also another part of the world where you traverse across a screen between two broken halves of a similar glass tube? Or is that after you have already bombed your way into maridia? I don't honestly remember....

yeah there’s an already-broken tube like a few screens away from it that you’re funneled into seeing when you’re exploring Maridia the first time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a bulkier suit wouldn't look as good with all the fast acrobatics Samus is doing, that's why the Fusion suit existed in the first place.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fusion works because it’s very linear but the path forward is obfuscated and the game is constantly toying with your expectations. The game will give you a seemingly straightforward objective but then throw a wrench in it and force you to go outside of the mapped areas of the station and you never know exactly what’s gonna happen next. It feels less like you’re being funneled down a straightforward path and more like you’re a rat in a maze.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hard mode in Returns is pretty annoying imo. The enemies already hit like trucks in normal mode, getting flicked by a bat and losing 2 energy tanks doesn’t feel great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there was a preview event today where reviewers got to play the first couple hours of the game and seemingly all the early impressions are absolutely glowing. Next Friday can’t come soon enough :stoked:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I will never stop complaining about how Returns messed up the atmosphere of the game, especially late in the game. The quiet moments where Metroid II chose not to give the players any enemies to deal with were so memorable and Samus Returns just fills these sections with noisy filler.

Luckily Dread seems to be much better in that department

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Swilo posted:

might have to be careful about spoilers soon, there's been at least one copy spotted on an auction site :sigh:

time to sell my kidneys to play Metroid early

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that sounds more like a daughter brain to me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you made that sound much worse than it actually is lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most of the time when a developer keeps you from sequence breaking it's not because they "hate fun", it's because sequence breaking is a pain in the rear end from a design and programming standpoint.
I've seen this idea thrown around a lot with the Prime games, people seemed to think that Retro fixed the speedrun tricks in the rereleases of Prime out of spite for speedrunners, but there are interviews where the developers have said that think the speedruns are really cool. The reality is that most of the glitches and skips that speedrunners use in Prime can very easily leave the player permanently stuck, either by getting themselves into an area they don't have the ability to get out of, or trapping them out of bounds. A new player accidentally stumbling onto a glitch and trapping their game in a broken state would ruin the experience for them, it's simply not something that you knowingly leave in a game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people say that literally all the time lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

10-12 hours without getting 100% is a very nice length for a Metroid game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Someday Castlevania will be back. You’ll see. You’ll all see!

it's already back it's just called bloodstained now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

People like Bloodstained, right?

Metroidstained

Edit: uh poo poo...uh Knightroid

bloodstained rotn was a top-notch castlevania game and we are extremely blessed as gamers to have both it and Metroid Dread in this world. (just don't buy the switch version)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

axiom verge was alright but the soundtrack probably did a lot of heavy lifting in my enjoyment of it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodstained is very good but very ugly, from top to bottom

the character models are pretty chunky but the backgrounds are very nice imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

roguelikes and metroid just aren't really a good mix imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i like backtracking when it’s to find new areas and secrets but the busywork of running back and forth to access important shops and utilities is one of the few things that really dragged down the game for me.

also games that aren’t made by from software should be required to write an essay addressed to me personally explaining the reason for their decision to include corpse runs on a mechanical and thematic level

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

please shut up about hollow knight it is METROID EVE and everyone must celebrate

no, tomorrow is Metroid eve, sadly

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

idk even Super Metroid and Zero Mission were pretty linear games too if you didn't have prior knowledge of the maps and advanced techniques, and Super did the "one-way paths" thing plenty. I can't think of any situation in Metroid besides maybe the first one where the games went "okay here are multiple objectives, you can go after them in any order you want." That's more of a Hollow Knight thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin posted:

when game unlock

12am eastern time (9pm pacific)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

:getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this game feels insanely good to play

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ojetor posted:

The EMMI stuff is just a forced stealth section, it's kind of annoying and not that interesting.

It doesn’t really feel like a stealth section to me tbqh. when I’m in an EMMI zone I’m not hiding and waiting and observing patrol routes, I’m moving towards the exit as quickly as possible

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't like that you go right instead of left from the game start screen!!!

that's because you start from what would traditionally be the end of a Metroid game :v:

lih posted:

there have been a bunch of difficult developer-intended sequence breaks discovered already, it's definitely not fusion.

I think people have (understandably) forgotten what blind playthroughs of Zero Mission and Super felt like, back when stuff like bomb jumping, wall jumps, and shinesparks weren't widely known about. Metroid games are generally pretty linear and have a clear intended path that you're meant to follow through the game. Diverging from this path and doing things in a different order took skill and advanced knowledge of the game that you weren't going to have on a first playthrough.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i kinda love the weird robot voice they gave adam, it's almost more isolating to have your only companion be this stilted, monotone computer

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think the game of cat and mouse is very fun and cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

also wtf is with adam? its like the creepy creator of samus' self-insert who really cant stand that fans thought of samus as a lone strong female protagonist who could deal with anything on her own, and just has to create weird Kinbaku-bi and restriction scenarios.

what the gently caress are you talking about

euphronius posted:

Is this first wall jump 10 seconds into the game supposed to be impossible

I’ve spent 10 minutes here

This is awful

what????

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

Yeah nothing works

Maybe my controller is slow idk

What a garbage game why but like one of the most technical jump puzzles I’ve ever seen in the first 10 seconds of a game . This is garbage lamo

did you shoot the blocks
there is nothing technical about this I promise you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you don’t even need to wall jump at that part, you just shoot the blocks and they form gaps you can grab onto

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

I’ve spent 20 minutes here . It worked once on the right wall but I can’t repeat it

SHOOT THE WHITE BLOCK!!!!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

I can’t jump to it does nothing !! It goes away and I can maybe jump halfway to it

are you holding the jump button instead of tapping it?
if you can’t jump that high your joycons must be broken or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barreft posted:

you shouldn't have to hold it. something's hosed on your controllers, whatever you use

doing a light tap of the jump button makes you do a tiny hop, doing a full press makes you jump at full height, just like in every other game in the series and also basically every other nintendo platformer and most non-nintendo ones.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

got the gravity suit, gonna stop for the night.
the game continues to be sick as hell.
the purple emmi can eat a dick tho

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i actually wasn't around for Other M but it must have been really bad for people to get acid flashbacks when Adam says "the enemy is strong" lol

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Wait it was a 3d character action game and it REQUIRED motion controls? What the gently caress

the only supported control scheme was sideways wii remote. you had to move around with the d-pad and in order to fire missiles you needed to switch into first person mode by turning the wii remote around and pointing it at the sensor bar to aim, and to dodge in first-person you had to waggle when enemies were about to hit you