Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I just wish that, in the age when games are playtested after being released, you could choose which patch to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The EMMI zone where you get the speed booster has the basic idea of a space you can move through quickly with speed booster but until you get the speed booster there are barriers that force you to traverse a more "interesting" route. Every EMMI zone becomes much easier to traverse when all the shutters open (and the EMMI being gone helps too). Other places have essentially a small maze where you get to the center, break a wall, and now you can pass quickly through, they just don't require or really reward using shinespark.

There are several places it's worth building a shinespark to move vertically, even after you get space jump, it's just not obvious as you're getting there that that's what you're going to want to do.

If your backtracking is of the "trying to find a way to X" variety you are not going to be moving at top speed, you're going to be looking for natural hidden block locations and exits you may have missed.

Flash shift is really cool looking and speeds up most of the uninteresting parts of backtracking without needing seconds of preparation to use.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2021

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Are the EMMI upgraded by Raven Beak using data (or parts IDK) stripped from Samus? Is that why they're distinct and why Samus can re-learn her abilities from them?

Its looks like Raven Beak partly destroyed the first one before finding a way to incorporate them into an existing security system of some kind... I still don't know how the first one's face plate was destroyed, unless that's just showing how awesome Raven Beak's arm cannon is.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

So I've beaten Dread a few times in the time it's taken my six year old to work up the courage to defeat the broken EMMI. They decided to play around in one of my saved games and ended up teaching me a thing or two:

• You can slide under Muzbys (pink crabs) instead if melee countering them, if you want to
  • Dying at the same time you kill the second Chozo Robot still clears the boss fight
  • You can shoot ice missiles to freeze the "shy" mushroom platforms
  • Enemies can exit through doors but apparently won't exist on the other side
  • Farming health from respawning crawlers for minutes is within a six-year-old's attention span but not mine
  • Raven Beak's motivation for fighting Samus is clear: He's a really bad guy and likes being mean to Samus
  • Pretending to be an EMMI to scare dad is fun, dad pretending to be an EMMI is some kind of war crime

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

To me Raven Beak is the hardest "boss" but the double robot minibosses are significantly harder. The bosses all have patterns but RB's are both more numerous and less forgiving. The double robots fights you have to pay attention to two different attackers, there's many combinations of attacks you have to be able to respond to, you must save flash shift to be able to respond to the second attack etc.

I'm sure it's possible to manipulate the robots into some patterns you have good replies to, but just playing against any of the bosses for a while makes me feel like I'm able to choose the best response almost all the time, I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that with the double robots.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56695#v210

quote:

New Modes Added

Three different boss rush modes have been added to the game. Press the R Button on the “Samus Files” screen to move to the Boss Rush selection screen.

Boss Rush
  • A mode where players fight 12 continuous boss battles, and aim for the best time.
  • Any damage received is carried-over into the next fight. Weapons are fully-restored between battles.
  • If Samus is defeated, players may select “Retry” to continue playing from the start of the battle they lost. There is, however, a time penalty for being defeated.
  • Bosses fought in Boss Rush can be fought one-on-one at any time by selecting “Practice”.
*Unlocked by clearing the main game a single time. (In the event that a player has completed the game before the update was released, they will be able to play Boss Rush immediately after updating).

Survival Rush
  • A mode where players see how many bosses they can defeat inside of the 5 minute time limit.
  • Any damage received, or weapons spent are carried-over into the next battle. Even if time remains on the clock, Samus being defeated will result in a game over.
  • Defeating a boss will add a fixed amount of time to the countdown clock. Defeat a boss without receiving any damage to receive an even bigger time bonus.
*Survival Rush is unlocked by completing either Boss Rush or Dread Rush.

Dread Rush
  • The basic rules are the same as in Boss Rush, but if Samus is hit by a boss, her energy drops to zero and she is defeated.
  • Bosses fought in Dread Rush can be fought one-on-one at any time by selecting “Practice”.
*Unlocked by clearing the main game using Dread Mode. (In the event that a player has completed Dread Mode before the update was released, they will be able to play Dread Rush immediately after updating).

General Fixes
  • Fixed an error where the Game Over screen would not display properly when Samus takes damage and is defeated immediately after destroying a central unit.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

FooF posted:

The fact that you could hurt/defeat Raven Beak (who literally manhandled the first EMMI per the wall art) but not any of the EMMIs themselves isn't quite a plot hole but is hard to reconcile.
What wall art?

And Raven Beak was still able to defeat Samus in non-Metroid superpower combat. There's a whole cutscene right before she becomes too angry to die where he taunts her about this. She uses Metroid power to defeat powerbomb EMMI and Ravenbeak.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it possible to kill Drogyga before Kraid? In the arena with everything but the diffusion beam, and I can't get the buttons to lower the water level.
Two fast charges, or mashing really fast with wide beam work to trigger the buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you hit their bellies they freeze and you can get some free hits in.

It doesn't change the result of winning the fight or anything.