Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Speaking of HMQ: this show really loves animals and seemingly puts so much extra into their art and animations!

Zeroes!!! :catte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Heavy Metal Queen was next on the list so let me say that Doggy Dog is a great song for a bar brawl. Also Spike must have some really good organ replacements or something to survive vacuum for as long as he did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

it's compelling, even if it is a narrative mess.

This is a big swing, what makes you say it's a mess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't speak for grassy gnoll, obviously, but when I hear "narrative mess" in relation to Bebop I apply it as the messiness of life. Not everything that happens in life makes sense or follows a linear narrative. Sometimes poo poo just happens and you're left to process what you just went through and draw your own conclusions. Like my take no Sympathy for the Devil making very little sense before culminating in its strange ending scene.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yep, that's pretty much it. I doubt anything in this show was not intentional, 'cause that's not how Watanabe's ever done anything. It's just how it is.

Bebop gives you a couple of short stories and says "nothing might actually in this story, and it definitely doesn't mean anything." Sometimes to the point of literally telling you as much in the previews. And that's good!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Jet tells you Waltz for Venus is good for you because you need a change of pace from time to time and his rant about how boring Speak Like a Child is going to be puts you off guard for when the ending hits you like a truck.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 13, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was there ever a song about pierrot le fou or is it the only episode without a clear musical connection

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there ever a song about pierrot le fou or is it the only episode without a clear musical connection

The music that plays during the flashback to Mad Pierrot's torture and experiments is an homage to Pink Floyd's song On The Run from Dark Side of the Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNzO50w2JK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VouHPeO4Gls

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I meant just the titles. Every other one I think is a reference to a style of music or an album or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished Heavy Metal Queen. That was the first episode I hadn't seen yet, and probably my favorite of the ones I've seen. Really funny, really clever. Was just about dying during the double whammy of Faye encountering "Decker" in the children's restaurant... followed by the real Decker freaking out hearing his own name.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I meant just the titles. Every other one I think is a reference to a style of music or an album or something

Brain Scratch? Anyhow, Pierrot Le Fou gets its title from the Jean-Luc Godard film of the same name and the alternate title for the episode is "Requiem for a Clown", so there's your music style reference.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 14, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Apparently Pierre le Fou is the title of a 1965 New Wave French film. I mean, it's not a song name but what the gently caress else could it be?

Brain Scratch is probably just a reference to record scratch. But for your brain.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 14, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 8: Waltz for Venus

Another great episode with a blend of comedy and melancholy. Roco and Stella are both very sympathetic victims who got dealt an absolutely poo poo hand in life and had to suffer for the sole reason that one wanted to help the other. So it's nice that such a sad story can have so many fun moments, mostly involving Roco wanting to be like Bruce Lee. It's at once pure catharsis and then literal heartbreak when Roco pulls off the move before getting shot, and the fight scene a testament to how seamlessly Bebop can transition between action, comedy and tragedy without skipping a beat.

Despite the low mood of the ending its still a pretty beautiful episode, even if it does tinge that beauty with irony thanks to those pollen spore snowflakes. Something so pretty ruining someone's life.

Also, on a personal note, I was talking about this rewatch to a friend and they decided to give the show a shot. I'm pretty excited and I'm trying really hard not to spoil anything for him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 15, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This episode always gets me teary eyed, because I am a big baby.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 9: Jamming with Edward

Not much to say about this episode besides that it is a lot of fun and Ed is an adorable goblin creature. Has a lot of great lines and is a nice change of pace after Waltz for Venus. Cats on Mars is still stuck in my ear. Carving a smiley face in South America might be the largest bit of vandalism ever committed by an adolescent.

Session 10: Ganynmede Elegy
Another one of my favourites. Shinichiro Watanabe has a few recurring visual motifs that he's reused over the years. In this particular case, it's the scene of two men fighting over one woman at sunset. In Macross Plus, it was Dyson running into Myung and Guld on Planet Eden and establishing the conflict between the two rivals. In Samurai Champloo during Misguided Miscreants (Part 2) it's Mugen, Koza and Shiren, with the antagonist Koza finally witnessing her manipulation and dependency crutch catching up with her. In Ganymede Elegy it's Jet, Elisa and Rhint with Jet coming to terms with his past without turning to hatred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgg6p9gSeR0&t=1510s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWYYVvyLonI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLY2WK8KASc

I find it interesting how each of the scenes rhyme with one another. They all focus on parasitic relationships and how the people involved deal with them. Macross Plus, being the first episode, deals with it through denial, since we don't know the whole story about how Myung, Guld and Isamu fell out with one another. Samurai Champloo deals with it by literally killing the replacement and leaving the Koza in hell. Cowboy Bebop lets the relationship stand and Jet allows himself to move on while respecting Elisa's choice to leave him.

Jet's story is the most mellow of the three. He and Elisa just weren't right for each other because she chafed under his papa bear personality and desire to protect people. She wanted to live her own life and he smothered her with his "knows best attitude." Rhint means well at the same time and defends her during the confrontation with the loan shark, but the important thing was it was her decision, and he supported her. Rather than an unwanted protection that Jet gave, they both look out for one another. Neither of them are bad people, and you can see how they're better suited to being together. So while Jet has to bring Rhint in because he's the Black Dog, he's delicate and understanding of the situation rather than vengeful. He's frightening, sure, but he's a far cry from the emotional trainwreck of Isamu, Guld and Myung or the sheer holy-poo poo-that-is-ice-cold murder that Mugen commits. Koza is downright despicable in how she uses people and can't look after herself, so Mugen leaving her alive was dark but also super satisfying.

This episode is why I like Jet the most. He's got his struggles, but he knows how to keep the past in the past and move on with his life. He's an incredibly lonely man, but he always tries to do good by the people he cares for.

Outside of the main plot, Spike being an rear end in a top hat parking his ship on the street and Faye constantly getting her tan interrupted made me laugh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Again...just gutted by how Jet is supposed to be the ~old man~ at 36. :corsair:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Again...just gutted by how Jet is supposed to be the ~old man~ at 36. :corsair:

He's been told he doesn't look 36.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Ganymede Elegy is constantly vying with Pierrot Le Fou as my favorite episode of the show, albeit for entirely different reasons.

Elegy is pretty great all around, but what pushes it into contention for the top slot is Billingslea's monologue in the bar. The dub has some legitimately good acting, not just acting-for-a-cartoon-dub, but I consistently come back that scene as the single best performance in the whole show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

He's been told he doesn't look 36.

He looks way older lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I was looking up the scenes for my comparison videos I found a list of shows directed by Watanabe. One of them is called Carole & Tuesday which I haven't seen but I noticed that it is set in the future on a terraformed Mars in a place called Alba City. And that set off some bells for me because isn't Alba City the name of the city on Mars in Bebop?

Could it very well be the same town and universe as Bebop, albeit further down the road than 2071?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 11: Toys in the Attic

When I first watched the show I was young and I hadn't seen Alien yet or 2001 a Space Odyssey and only a bit of Star Trek. So this episode went from being scary to being downright hilarious. I especially like the Waltz of the Flowers playing over the refrigerator (my god it's full of stars!) sailing off through space, and Jet's random turn doing a Starfleet Captain's Log while the audio team sneaked a bunch of Star Trek sound effects into the episode.

But I think my favourite part is that, for all that this is a very silly episode, the final lesson strikes at the heart of the series. Your past always catches up with you sooner or later. So don't leave stuff in the fridge or it will come back with a vengeance.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 19, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

36 is absolutely ancient in anime people years. People kill God at 18 all the time!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sankara posted:

36 is absolutely ancient in anime people years. People kill God at 18 all the time!
https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1439229621245988867

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Animus age faster than humans. That's why Ramba Ral 35 and Jet Black 36 look like they're in their late 50s mid 60s.

Life sucks when you peak at 14.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I used to enjoy reading yaoi manga which turned the trope on its head, featuring characters in their 30s who look (and often behave) as if they're much younger. For example, the character in my avatar is meant to be 31, IIRC.

And I never noticed the TOS bridge sound effects in that episode, or really get the silly references the first time I watched that episode either. Never detracted from my enjoyment of it, though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As a short horror episode it still works pretty well. The Predator Vision of the blob creature and the fridge itself are legitimately creepy.

It's just that knowing what is being parodied makes those moments even funnier in retrospect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unsurprising after it left Adult Swim's website:

https://twitter.com/JRPictures/status/1440985297521557510?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will it be dubbed. They only had the original audio for the movie when it was up on Netflix.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s been on Hulu for a few years, but hopefully Netflix gets the movie too!

I was bad and finished the series. I don’t think I’ve ever actually sat down and watched the entire series, in order. Always got hung up along the way. What a great show, can’t wait to discuss the rest with you all!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sessions 12 and 13: Jupiter Jazz

Certainly a fan favourite. Not sure if I agree, mainly due to the first part being pretty average. The second half of the two parter is definitely stronger than the first, which feels pretty contrived even by the oddball standards Bebop uses to establish each episode's narrative. So Ed listens in on comm traffic to try and find Faye, Spike hears the name Julia and goes ballistic and of course it just so happens to be a drug deal between Vicious and his supplier on Callisto. At least in Ballad of Fallen Angels Vicious was intentionally setting a trap for Spike to draw him out. Here, it was Gren drawing Vicious out and Spike stumbles across the deal in a way that stretches belief a bit.

That's not to say the first episode doesn't have good moments. I liked how the gang of thugs constantly got their asses kicked and Jet being completely fed up with everyone was nice.

The second episode is much better and it ties together the episodes' theme of betrayal and trust. Faye ran away because she's afraid of being betrayed so she'd rather be the one doing it than get hurt again, but she also doesn't want to go so she sabotages herself to let them find her. Jet feels betrayed by Spike not helping him find Faye (using the pretense that he wants the money back but really because he doesn't want to lose his family). Gren trusted and even loved Vicious and instead he was shafted when Vicious's espionage was uncovered and Gren was framed. Even Lin, a guy with maybe five or six lines to his entire character, has his moment to show camaraderie and take a bullet for Vicious.

I recently watched Armor Hunter Mellowlink from the VOTOMS franchise and I found out that it was one of Watanabe's first times directing for a couple episodes. I definitely felt some of that echo in the flashback to the war on Titan. That and the Predator reference with the scorpion.

Vicious continues to be a symbolic villain rather than a compelling character. He's still a pretty pathetic individual, and it was satisfying seeing him essentially get turned into a glorified errand boy by the Syndicate bosses because Gren asked for him specifically to come to Callisto. He's also a lot less intimidating when he doesn't have dramatic camera angles and mood lighting to seem scary. When his ship explodes and he's struggling with the controls he looks like what he really is: a mopey, edgelord prick acting like he's got it all figured out but who is really just a stupid jerk.

Best part of the whole thing has to be the entire Space Lion segment. Gren gets his sad sendoff, Laughing Bull has his great speech about the Tear of a Warrior, and we get one of my favourite moments between Spike and Jet when Jet lets him back on board the Bebop. The soft way that Beau Billingslea says "Get inside, we're taking off." absolutely seals the friendship between Jet and Spike. Nothing else needs to be said. Betrayal is one thing, but it can't break their relationship, because Jet and Spike need each other, just like they need Faye and Ed and Ein, and neither one really wants to give that up.

So yeah, first episode is kinda meh, second episode is a lot better and the last seven minutes are some of the best in the entire show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Arist posted:

They just showed the Cowboy Bebop opening and it's pretty amazing. It's the same song as the original with a lot of the same shots, but there's also a bunch of new footage and it looks silly as poo poo, in a good way.

e:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1441830573182525444

Arc Hammer posted:

Sessions 12 and 13: Jupiter Jazz

It also feels like a series finale. The long outro, panning up through the solar system, which would eventually be reused in the final episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oh god, I'm giggling. Mama, Teddy Bomber, Mad Pierrot, Asimov and Catarina. That being said I don't think slowmo works that well for the intro. I'd either go with shutter snapshots or just run everything at regular speed and tighten it up with snappy edits.

As for Series Finale, I love Space Lion but I can't think of a better outro song than Blue.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 25, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

In case anyone missed this Space Lion from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu_YGgZQ9DE

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

I'm wondering if this is more promotional material for the series than an actual intro.

It seems like a strange choice to show one-off characters from the episodes in an intro for the show.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it looks like theyre going the 300 route with the live action, vicious looks extra edgelord

space lion fuckin rules whatever

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Arc Hammer posted:

That being said I don't think slowmo works that well for the intro. I'd either go with shutter snapshots or just run everything at regular speed and tighten it up with snappy edits.

Yeah, the editing needs some work. The whole thing feels a little rushed and I've seen comments saying it feels like something fans would put together which is funny because I expect that once the show is released, the fans will cut together a much better, more authentic feeling opening sequence.

Edit:

I watched it again and it feels like a rushed promotional piece to generate hype.

I noticed that when the three pistols are firing, Jet's revolver looks like they filmed someone pulling the plastic trigger on a set prop and then animated a little puff of smoke coming out. It's bizarre, because both Spike and Faye's pistols have actions that articulate and slide when fried and their is some attempt at showing recoil.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 26, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: i would hate to be a content creator in tyool 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Penitent posted:

I noticed that when the three pistols are firing, Jet's revolver looks like they filmed someone pulling the plastic trigger on a set prop and then animated a little puff of smoke coming out. It's bizarre, because both Spike and Faye's pistols have actions that articulate and slide when fried and their is some attempt at showing recoil.

Jet's gun looks like its barrel lines up with the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top, like a Mateba. These guns push the recoil more into the hand so they don't kick as high.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Penitent posted:

I'm wondering if this is more promotional material for the series than an actual intro.

It seems like a strange choice to show one-off characters from the episodes in an intro for the show.

Is the Netflix thing going to be a series? I thought they were just doing a one off movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's a TV-show right? Not like it's out of Netflix's wheelhouse after the insanely expensive Witcher adaptation.