Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a series. 10 episodes, 1 hour each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Penitent posted:

Yeah, the editing needs some work. The whole thing feels a little rushed and I've seen comments saying it feels like something fans would put together which is funny because I expect that once the show is released, the fans will cut together a much better, more authentic feeling opening sequence.

I absolutely had that same reaction, that it made me think of something fans would put together. But, not in the bad way that would be expected. It just feels like something put together by a group of people who have a really passionate appreciation for the original work and have done their best to make a genuine recreation of that thing they like, so they can share it with other people. In other words, professionals can be fans, too.

And yeah it does look a LITTLE bit rushed, but only in comparison to the obscenely high standard of special effects we're used to even for TV productions these days. I'm not SURE it'll stick the landing, but the trailer gives me real hope that it could and even a 50% chance of success is a shocking success.

I wonder if the western media industry has grown big and nerdy enough that it's actually going to start making serious attempts at anime adaptations. That's a deep loving well, and we're over here making adaptations of The Foundation and reboots of reboots of Teen Wolf and Archie and poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if the western media industry has grown big and nerdy enough that it's actually going to start making serious attempts at anime adaptations.

I mean, we are in a post Pacific Rim world with unironic AAA recreations of properties like GitS, All You Need is Kill, and Death Note, to say nothing about whatever The Matrix series is liberally cribbing from...
:shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 14: Bohemian Rhapsody

This episode is great for a number of reasons. It's one of the few episodes where they go into the history of the setting and how that ties into the show as a whole. Hex vowed revenge on the Gate Corporation for firing him over concerns with defaults in the system. The Gate explodes and ravages Earth, destroying any semblance of coherence in human existence anymore and ruining peoples' lives (like Wen from Sympathy for the Devil). Corporate greed screwed over humanity.

But the Hex who set up the vengeance sabotage isn't the same old man who just wants to play chess and hang out with his stoner buddies. It's appropriate then that the mastermind lives in the wreckage of old hyperspace gate parts, symbolic of such a ghost of the past haunting the present. People in Bebop try to learn how to move on from the past. Some succeed, some don't, and some, like Hex, live long enough that they no longer get to choose and the change happens to them. That's why it's still a happy ending even though Hex dies. He wasn't the bitter, vengeful man he used to be, he got to have a fun last game of chess with someone and he died peacefully, having moved on with his life. Even Jonathan, Jet's buddy who got screwed over by his account being drained from the incident, got a chance to start over and hangs out with Those Three Guys smoking weed.

Beyond thematic elements, I really like this episode for having proper investigation on the bounty rather than stumbling across it. It's actually a low-key Jet episode, since he puts in most of the work, he's the one with the relationship to the secondary antagonist Jonathan, and he's thematically tied to the plot because he's the only member of the Bebop crew who successfully managed to put his old life behind him. He's also very good at his job thanks to his past as a cop, and I like how he took a few notes from Spike about smoking in non-smoking areas. It seems out of place for him to light up in an office when he's been a stickler about smoking rules beforehand, so it's a satisfying payoff that he bugged his cigarette to spy on the CEO. Jet is also the only one to trust what Ed is doing, because Jet is awesome and I really like his interactions with Ed as if she's his adoptive daughter.

On a final note, I just like how Spike and Faye are completely baffled by all the stuff they find on the junk station until it's revealed that everyone on board is massively, massively high on weed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just watched Jupiter Jazz. Yeah, didn't do a lot for me. I appreciate getting more details about Vicious' backstory even as it remains a loose sketch, but the episodes themselves are kind of thin honestly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Second part is better than the first for reaffirming Spike and Jet's friendship and for making Vicious a childish little prick who gets punked by the guy he's trying to punk. And I do like Gren, it's just that part one is really slow on the buildup that it robs the episode itself of much agency.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just got reminded the Charlie Parker dream thing cracks me up.

Rewatched the Film recently and still really enjoy it, has a couple of iconic scenes in my opinion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you really think Charlie Parker would quote Goethe?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 15: My Funny Valentine

I mark this one as enjoyable but skippable. It gives a bit more insight into Faye but it's fairly inconsequential when Speak Like a Child does a better job of giving her emotional depth. What this episode does do well is humour. While I found the setup to Jupiter Jazz to be really contrived, I find the intentional contrivance in this episode funny. "Hey Ein, you look like my old boyfriend, anyways here's my tragic backstory." and then Ein and Spike are both completely disinterested in her sob story when it's the first time she's been completely genuine.

I tend to dislike shows and films about con artists because they can too often fall back on pulling stuff out of their asses to justify leaps of logic, so Whitney and his uncle pulling one over on Faye was decent because they didn't overdo it with six level deep mind games. It was just a trio of dickheads using their positions of power to screw over victims and offload their own debts.

This episode also gives us more Jet and Ed moments and they make a great duo. Ed continues to be a weird gremlin child and she's the only one Jet confides in when he's lying to the rest of the crew.

Don't really have much more to say, this one is watchable and entertaining enough but I wouldn't call it a must-see addition to the series.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Fat Whitney is the funniest thing in the series

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if the western media industry has grown big and nerdy enough that it's actually going to start making serious attempts at anime adaptations.
Yeah that's what this netflix series is.

"I'LL GET YOU HARRY POTTER SPIKE SPIEGEL!"

That's what netflix one piece is. That's what netflix death note is. All the weebs who want to make and star in live action anime adaptations are here. They're not getting big budgets, and they're often biting off more than they can chew, but they're doing it.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
will vicious still have his stupid three headed bird in the live action

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was there any military in the show? Or did ISSP just hoover up all those responsibilities too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He honestly doesn't look very vicious there. He looks like Carl Drago is about to give him a golden shower

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was there any military in the show? Or did ISSP just hoover up all those responsibilities too.

Show

In the back stories of some characters they are military i'm pretty sure? So it definitely exists the TV show

Movie

Military turns up and tries to shoot down Spike, and also the antagonist and "Girl who can kick my rear end" are both ex-Military.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The United States posted:

This guy wandered off the Game of Thrones prequel set and into a Cowboy Bebop photoshoot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't find Vicious all that "cool" so honestly anything that makes him seem like more of a fuckin' weebass dork works for me, lol

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

All live action adaptations of anime are guaranteed to suck. The same is true with cartoons, although that doesn't happen as often.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This came up elsewhere but would you consider Edge of Tomorrow an adaptation of an anime/manga property even if the Manga and Film were both adapted from a book?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arc Hammer posted:

This came up elsewhere but would you consider Edge of Tomorrow an adaptation of an anime/manga property even if the Manga and Film were both adapted from a book?

Having read All You Need Is Kill, absolutely. That book has huge LN energy.

e: Looking it up, it was an LN. So.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sankara posted:

All live action adaptations of anime are guaranteed to suck. The same is true with cartoons, although that doesn't happen as often.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgreeableImaginativeDugong-mobile.mp4

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I know a lot of people like it, but I did not care for Speed Racer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The United States posted:

You know if you gave him normal hair and a trench coat with rolled up sleeves he'd be a decent Asimov. He's got the crazy eyes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sankara posted:

I've fallen asleep three separate attempts watching it, wake up and there's some amazing technicolour dreamcoat race going and I doze back off I can't even remember if the chimp is in the movie.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sankara posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQyaMhqfCe0

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Sankara posted:

:frogout:

Arc Hammer posted:

Session 15: My Funny Valentine

This one occupies a special place in my mind for the simple reason that it's the first episode of Bebop I ever saw.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Didn't realize they got Mark Dacascos to play Vicious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Parallelwoody posted:

Didn't realize they got Mark Dacascos to play Vicious.

Now why do you have to go and make a show that sounds way better than what we're getting?

Looked up some of the cast and apparently the person at the bar going guns akimbo is supposed to be Gren, with the show making them non binary. Gren was pretty clearly gay in the anime, so I am curious to see how the Netflix show handles things.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually, yeah, let's look at the Live Action Cast so far.
https://gizmodo.com/whos-who-in-netflixs-cowboy-bebop-1847755292

We've got:
Josh Randall as Tongpu

Adrienne Barbeau as Twinkle Murdock

Jay Uddin and Lydia Peckham as Asimov and Katerina

Cali Nelle as Abdul Hakim

Alex Hassell as Vicious

Ann Truong and Hoa Xuande as Shin and Lin

Elena Satine as Julia

Mason Alexander Park and Tamara Tunie as Gren and Ana

Harry as Ein

Ira Munn and Lucy Currey as Punch and Judy

So it seems that Shin and Lin have been changed from brothers to brother and sister. I'm more interested in Gren and Ana. Ana seems to be a stand-in for Annie as a mother figure to Spike, and she owns a blues club on Mars. Gren is non-binary and works for Ana, so I don't know how much of the character's background as a Titan war veteran will be in the show, if any.

Also the cast asked each other questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqIfm4hN3Q

Big concern here is the phrase "nothing was done without consulting the anime first." Getting details right is one thing, but slavish devotion can end up crippling creativity. I'm hoping they'll branch out and do their own thing in cases because I don't just want to watch the sessions remade in live action.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who is playing Antonio, Carlos and Jobim?????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

algebra testes posted:

Who is playing Antonio, Carlos and Jobim?????

There's a promo photo where they're visible, so they're definitely in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Three old guys.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arc Hammer posted:

Actually, yeah, let's look at the Live Action Cast so far.
https://gizmodo.com/whos-who-in-netflixs-cowboy-bebop-1847755292

We've got:
Josh Randall as Tongpu

Adrienne Barbeau as Twinkle Murdock

Jay Uddin and Lydia Peckham as Asimov and Katerina

Cali Nelle as Abdul Hakim

Alex Hassell as Vicious

Ann Truong and Hoa Xuande as Shin and Lin

Elena Satine as Julia

Mason Alexander Park and Tamara Tunie as Gren and Ana

Harry as Ein

Ira Munn and Lucy Currey as Punch and Judy

So it seems that Shin and Lin have been changed from brothers to brother and sister. I'm more interested in Gren and Ana. Ana seems to be a stand-in for Annie as a mother figure to Spike, and she owns a blues club on Mars. Gren is non-binary and works for Ana, so I don't know how much of the character's background as a Titan war veteran will be in the show, if any.

Also the cast asked each other questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqIfm4hN3Q

Big concern here is the phrase "nothing was done without consulting the anime first." Getting details right is one thing, but slavish devotion can end up crippling creativity. I'm hoping they'll branch out and do their own thing in cases because I don't just want to watch the sessions remade in live action.
Well based on the script impressions from 2018 that sounds like that's what we're getting, with the requisite amount of remixing and padding necessary to achieve hour long rather than half an hour episodes. So the first episode still adapts the anime first episode wholesale but adds on a bit from the movie and elements from Honky Tonk Woman and Faye is there from the start and even Vicious makes an appearance... so yeah fairly slavish devotion.

https://studybreaks.com/tvfilm/cowboy-bebop/

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:mad: Where is Radical Edward

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

YggiDee posted:

:mad: Where is Radical Edward

I really want this character in the show but cannot imagine the impossible task of casting this role...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was ten years old when Cowboy Bebop came out and I basically imprinted on Ed like a baby bird.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I actually really disliked the character when I caught random episodes on the first airing. But going back and rewatching, Ed is really the thing that makes Bebop work. The main characters are all so broken and jaded by their pasts that the show needs someone who is unbounded by their own.

But they take it a step further and have Ed realize that living only for the moment is just as bad once they meet their father. Ed and Ein are kind of the only characters who actually grow and learn anything: leaving the others was the only way they could take control of their future.
:allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 16: Black Dog Serenade

The other top tier Jet episode. I really like this one but it's not as good as Ganymede Elegy. It's essentially Jet's version of Ballad of Fallen Angels with the Vicious parallels split between Fad and Udai. Thankfully Jet is much better than Spike at putting his past to rest. His robot arm represents who he is now, and it's the thing that saves him in the end, signifying his new life separate from the past he left behind.

I also enjoy the message that nothing good comes from the past. Nobody in the episode really has a place in the old order. Udai gets ditched by the Syndicate, Jet is only going along to bury a part of his old life and Fad fakes nostalgia for the good old days to try and atone for his past sins. I like the unspoken moment where he only loads a single bullet. If you noticed it then you know that Fad is going for suicide by (ex) cop. Jet is the only one of the three who managed to move on, so he gets to live in the end.

It's a good episode.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

leaving the others was the only way they could take control of their future.

and its loving HEARTBREAKING

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I never found Ed leaving to be such a heartbreaking moment. If anything I found that whole segment really sweet and life affirming. Much as it hurts Jet and Spike that everyone else left them, it's a positive moment for Ed. If any of the Bebop crew could turn out alright in the end, it's her.

Now Faye running back to her past and only finding ruins and zero closure, that's depressing. Jet and Spike desperately trying to hide their feelings by stuffing their faces, that's depressing. But Ed will be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
spike eat the eggs