Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That fucken poem is :master:

Also

https://twitter.com/elliemaeohagan/status/1433023013696557056?s=19

....ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:ohno:
"My views on the Jewish plot to enslave White Europe have changed a lot since reading all these 19th century European literary geniuses" is not usually the start of something good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess the judge couldn't think of a single non-white author.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

God that's the most British thing ever.

Uh oh prevent accidentally referred a white guy for uh... downloading pdfs, how about you do a patronising series of book reports young man

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

namesake posted:

There's a pretty good chance that the Labour conference in late September will either be cancelled or will have a picket outside of it from Unite and GMB workers so no, Starmer will not soon start looking like a PM in waiting soon after. The left refuses to back a literal anti-worker party and the right wing make jokes about how the Labour Party doesnt even have to be in power to cause industrial action these days.

on the one hand :gonk:

on the other hand time to crush centrist dreams sensible career expectations :getin:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The idea of a white terrorist in the UK is so whimsical let's just get him to read Dickens

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Outside chance that the baby fash reads Das Kapital, reverses polarity and becomes a based Marxist, only to be immediately sent down for a 10year stretch

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Communist Thoughts posted:

God that's the most British thing ever.

Uh oh prevent accidentally referred a white guy for uh... downloading pdfs, how about you do a patronising series of book reports young man

On the one hand yeah locking people up for downloading the anarchist cookbook or whatever is dumb.

On the other hand if you sentence someone for something that's supposed to be a serious crime which makes them a danger to society put them into a psychiatric facility instead of treating them like naughty school boys who got caught doing a prank

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fair play to the judge for finding a unique way to avoid a custodial sentence, maybe he should do something similar to all non-violent offenders who cross his path (who an I kidding its just for white posh lads).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I do think that where someone is possibly just suffering from online teen lad brain and downloading stupid poo poo, reading some of say Steve Biko, Emma Goldman, and Theodor Adorno in the company of a group to put it into context could prove good rehabilitation, or at least remove their "I'm a tortured genius and uniquely persecuted" head out of their rear end, as long as it was standardized rather than just for Anglo failsons. I'm not convinced that doing a book report on Far from the Madding Crowd would do the same.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah there was definitely a dulux chart involved in that sentencing, loving hell.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The best way to get past racism is to read some boring old books about posh people not loving because it would be rude.

Also Labour are still shite.

https://twitter.com/AScribbledEagle/status/1391501033843658756

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lmao

https://twitter.com/twt_now/status/1433008910848376834?s=21

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

That's the judge who got in trouble a few years back for antiziganism

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

keep punching joe posted:

Fair play to the judge for finding a unique way to avoid a custodial sentence, maybe he should do something similar to all non-violent offenders who cross his path (who an I kidding its just for white posh lads).

Yes, that's the trouble. Otherwise I'd say reading fiction could be a fairly good element of treatment, given the evidence it increases empathy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you tried to make me read classic literature I would be killing by the end of the week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, that's the trouble. Otherwise I'd say reading fiction could be a fairly good element of treatment, given the evidence it increases empathy.
I feel like it's more true that empathetic people read fiction more, whereas if you try to force a chud sociopath to read they'll just have another thing to be mad about.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ah, September. Month of "do you remember?" and "never forget"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

Nothing happened in September 2001. How could it? September 1993 never ended.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/twt_now/status/1432777640180600839?s=21

holy gently caress, this is some astounding trolling.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Well it was 20 years ago today, Sgt pepper taught the band to play.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Neun und elfte Luftkämpfer
Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like it's more true that empathetic people read fiction more, whereas if you try to force a chud sociopath to read they'll just have another thing to be mad about.
He obviously liked reading a certain type of fiction, the type where gay liberals are plotting to make all of Europe Muslim for some reason.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

It's the end of an era, no longer can i rely upon Tesco Tinned Sweet & Sour Chicken to taste as advertised, it was a reliable fallback.

Now it just tastes sour, for the past 6 months at least and i had a few old cans from last year that were lovely.

First world problems.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Neun und elfte Luftkämpfer
Auf ihrem Weg zum Horizont

He obviously liked reading a certain type of fiction, the type where gay liberals are plotting to make all of Europe Muslim for some reason.

You're among friends here, you can say "the Daily Mail".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sending a nazi home to read mein kampf seems a bit on the nose

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's the end of an era, no longer can i rely upon Tesco Tinned Sweet & Sour Chicken to taste as advertised, it was a reliable fallback.

Now it just tastes sour, for the past 6 months at least and i had a few old cans from last year that were lovely.

First world problems.

Can you not add some golden syrup to make it sweeter?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

First world problems.

can you not just add sugar or honey?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

OwlFancier posted:

If anyone finds any golden syrup let me know, all the supermarkets round me have been out of it for weeks and without flapjacks I'm not sure if it's worth going on tbh

vv that's too much work

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 1, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think technically you can make it yourself by heating sugar and water, as it is just partially hydrolysed sucrose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can't find sugar and water you can make your own in a sufficiently large particle accelerator by banging protons together.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe I never looked this up before, all I need is a heavy-bottomed saucepan, I've got everything else! I thought golden syrup was made by magic and fairies an all that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's literally just toasted sugar which explains why it tastes fabulous. You take sugar and do the thing that makes everything taste good to it.

I don't know if there is a specific step you have to stop at but yeah it's up there with "boil a can of condensed milk to make caramel" in terms of knowledge that is probably equal parts impressive and ruinous for your dietary health.

I don't know if it as commonly used outside the UK for some reason though, or at least as a thing you buy and use at home rather than in commercial baking.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mrpwase posted:

I can't believe I never looked this up before, all I need is a heavy-bottomed saucepan, I've got everything else! I thought golden syrup was made by magic and fairies an all that

add cream for a delicious surprise

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That would derail the whole ''woe is me'' narrative i'm constructing here, besides i already paid £1.50 for it so now i have to buy sugar? :colbert:

Above post should be viewed as light hearted sarcasm, this has been annoying me for months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I am used to adding syrup or honey to a lot of things that are more sour/savoury than I was wanting, goes well with barbeque sauce too. Also dilute honey works as a very simple pan deglazer to make a faintly sweet sauce if you don't have any wine or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

sending a nazi home to read mein kampf seems a bit on the nose
I keep thinking of that Orwell review of mein kampf and

quote:

he is never able to think of a substitute for the tin soldiers; tin pacifists somehow won't do.
Hitler, because in his own joyless mind he feels it with exceptional strength, knows that human beings don't only want comfort, safety, short working-hours, hygiene, birth-control and, in general, common sense; they also, at least intermittently, want struggle and self-sacrifice, not to mention drums, flags and loyalty-parades.
I'd much prefer the first bunch of things, and you can just pretend the second bunch. I can play tin soldiers with Age of Empires without desiring to die in a mud-filled ditch, but it's harder to do that with bread.

mrpwase posted:

No that's treacle, they mine it.

OwlFancier posted:

If you can't find sugar and water you can make your own in a sufficiently large particle accelerator by banging protons together.
That seems like a very Boris Johnson solution. Schools are running out of food? Has anyone considered a £50bn particle accelerator build by some friends of mine which promises eventual nutrients?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CERN could definitely get funding if they open a restaurant that serves food synthesised entirely on site from subatomic particles.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

If you wish to build an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

All these other posts are lies though, to make golden syrup you need to get the rotting carcass of a lion, surrounded by flies. An alpaca might do in a pinch

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

An alpaca might do in a pinch

It's all coming together...DEFRA have artificially caused a golden syrup shortage and are now trying to corner the market :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Related to home-made syrup, depending on prices it can sometimes be quite economical to make your own butter from double cream, and it's fairly low-effort if you're making a small batch, you basically just stir a bowl of room-temp cream with your hand until the butter separates out, then squeeze out the remaining buttermilk with some spatulas.