Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Had a momentary brainfart looking at this and thought Tim was the one who shot those two lads in his house rather than the other isolationist weirdo.

Tony at least had a stockpile :v:

e: 3 launched on 03-03-2003 to provide 3G services including video calls, weather control, and the bird flu.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

It's literally just toasted sugar which explains why it tastes fabulous. You take sugar and do the thing that makes everything taste good to it.

I don't know if there is a specific step you have to stop at but yeah it's up there with "boil a can of condensed milk to make caramel" in terms of knowledge that is probably equal parts impressive and ruinous for your dietary health.

I don't know if it as commonly used outside the UK for some reason though, or at least as a thing you buy and use at home rather than in commercial baking.

sort of; i've seen lyle's for sale in north america but for the most part we use corn syrup or molasses as a replacement which serves the same purpose. commercially it's often straight glucose syrup instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Odd the thread should mention golden syrup, I went past the Tate and Lyle refineries today and noticed the storage tanks are no longer painted up like tins of golden syrup but just have generic branding on them, no wonder this country's going down the pan.

(A quick street view check reveals they've not been painted like that for over a decade now, so I'm just going to blame Gordon Brown)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you wish to build an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

All these other posts are lies though, to make golden syrup you need to get the rotting carcass of a lion, surrounded by flies. An alpaca might do in a pinch

I think those are bees not flies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/TWT_NOW/status/1433008910848376834?s=20

Expecting the local council to ban it with fake accusations of anti-semitism any time now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1432803459833679875?s=20

I think Ian Dury sums it up nicely in the first 10 seconds of this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuVBPwzstM

I 'spect I'll get booted from the party for this.. oh, wait, I quit 18 months ago.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think those are bees not flies.

Yes...that would make sense. I know it's from some weird Biblical quote anyway

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Seen in pyf icr where just pretend I properly attributed it:
https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1432980092158943235
Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1432754886337310727
Article seems to be missing some context :thunk:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

OwlFancier posted:

CERN could definitely get funding if they open a restaurant that serves food synthesised entirely on site from subatomic particles.

As a CERN restaurant regular I can tell you that they already do. Unfortunately they only use bosons that carry no flavour.

Anyone here in UCU? It looks like we're in for a fun ride this year.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes...that would make sense. I know it's from some weird Biblical quote anyway

They're hoverflies because bees don't nest in carcasses and hoverflies will lay eggs in them like crazy. But also yes, ancient reference guy didn't know his entomology.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone in the Home Office wondering if they can get food for schools in the right areas by pulling it again.

Someone in the Foreign Office wondering if Ireland is still a Home Office remit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah there was definitely a dulux chart involved in that sentencing, loving hell.
Just saw the perfect phrase for this in a completely different context, Limited Liability Caucasian.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Moonwolf posted:

They're hoverflies because bees don't nest in carcasses and hoverflies will lay eggs in them like crazy. But also yes, ancient reference guy didn't know his entomology.

Are you saying that when Samson discovered his lion's carcass was fully of honey that it was made by hoverflies?
Or did he mistake hoverfly eggs for honey?
:iconofblokestrokingchininquestioningmanner:

Hoverfly eggs (on the left):

Honey:

Golden syrup, lion carcass and small buzzy things:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's :thunk: for future reference.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also
:thunkher:

and

and for spectator articles

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

That's :thunk: for future reference.

Hey I know that bloke. Thoughtful chap

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:thunkin: wait that Marx one doesn't seem to be in the list (but it should be called :thunx: )

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i've just realised keith is actually dead electable and prime-mernersterrererl and not at all a wet egg twat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i've just realised keith is actually dead electable and prime-mernersterrererl and not at all a wet egg twat

I see...and when did you first start having these thoughts? :crossarms:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

I see...and when did you first start having these thoughts? :crossarms:

September obv

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

September obv

:crossarms:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

i've just realised keith is actually dead

I refused to read any more words in that sentence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

I refused to read any more words in that sentence.

That's right, dead serious about being a Tory!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well i don't think Priti Patel could be that discrete, we're going to remember her little quip.

But sure, you'll all be getting your blue ration cards soon enough.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

Anyone here in UCU? It looks like we're in for a fun ride this year.

Yep really excited to have to do it all again at my stupid lib university where nobody wants to go on strike because "I only agree with two of the five demands so I won't strike at all" or "I don't like conflict" or "I make enough money so it's wrong to strike about pensions" or "I don't like not working" or "the leadership's messaging is too extreme". Honestly these people are still convinced that data and education change things despite living through the past decade.

Comrades on the picket make it all better, and knowing other universities' staff aren't so uniformly obstinate helps.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Someone in the Home Office wondering if they can get food for schools in the right areas by pulling it again.

Someone in the Foreign Office wondering if Ireland is still a Home Office remit.

Imagine going back and telling the Irish 'Don't worry, the Brits will inbreed their leaders to the point that they will be alone in the world shouting at everyone while happily starving their own country'

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Missed StarkingBarfish's post. Yeah I'm UCU, it's looking pretty hosed. Unfortunately, despite 90%+ yes votes every time, my uni's had less & less less turnout every strike vote (from a starting position of exactly 2 votes under the threshold).

People really need to just start ignoring the TUA imo, look at what IWW have been up to in Bristol this week, poo poo works. (yeah I know UCU is even less likely to act do something about lovely regressive laws than the rest of the mainstream unions, but a boy can dream)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

jacksbrat posted:

Yep really excited to have to do it all again at my stupid lib university where nobody wants to go on strike because "I only agree with two of the five demands so I won't strike at all" or "I don't like conflict" or "I make enough money so it's wrong to strike about pensions" or "I don't like not working" or "the leadership's messaging is too extreme". Honestly these people are still convinced that data and education change things despite living through the past decade.

Comrades on the picket make it all better, and knowing other universities' staff aren't so uniformly obstinate helps.

Solidarity. I'm in a fairly similar boat in that my department is 80% people with similar excuses, but the 20% that do picket are great people to be out there with. It's proper poo poo to have to start and end* the pandemic with industrial action but them's the breaks and the pension offer on the table is awful.

e: ^^^ yeah, and it's a real poo poo tactic to keep making the unions reballot until the threshold drops to nothing. I don't see that happening tbh but each time it gets harder to convince people.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 1, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

We had such a lively GTVO campaign last time but jfc it was still an all-time low since this poo poo's been going on.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I do wonder if that's why UUK were happy to accept the USS position here, gambling that everyone is desperately wanting a return to some kind of regular schedule instead of further uncertainty.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

Missed StarkingBarfish's post. Yeah I'm UCU, it's looking pretty hosed. Unfortunately, despite 90%+ yes votes every time, my uni's had less & less less turnout every strike vote (from a starting position of exactly 2 votes under the threshold).

People really need to just start ignoring the TUA imo, look at what IWW have been up to in Bristol this week, poo poo works. (yeah I know UCU is even less likely to act do something about lovely regressive laws than the rest of the mainstream unions, but a boy can dream)

I'm in Unison at a university and we just balloted for strike action for last year's pay rise of 0%. We only managed a 21% turnout. If people won't even vote on a 0% deal there's no hope of them ever voting on anything.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Imagine going back and telling the Irish 'Don't worry, the Brits will inbreed their leaders to the point that they will be alone in the world shouting at everyone while happily starving their own country'

that was already the case during the famine though :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my experience has been that union effectiveness very much comes down to the local reps you happen to have at your place of work. the one i had was comically bad, actually sat in a meeting with me and grossly incompetent management who'd caused me problems, chipping in to argue on their side because she fancied ingratiating herself to them. i asked her afterwards if she understood what a union is and what she was meant to be doing and she took the hump, unsurprisingly

i complained about her to the union's central office and the guy they sent since then has been great and knows a lot of stuff

i'd recommend anyone not having good representation or whatever not to write off a union because of it, just ask for someone else

crispix fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 1, 2021

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lungboy posted:

I'm in Unison at a university and we just balloted for strike action for last year's pay rise of 0%. We only managed a 21% turnout. If people won't even vote on a 0% deal there's no hope of them ever voting on anything.

I'm a teacher and a recent union motion passed the idea that we can do votes based on majority of response rather than majority of membership. There are so many teachers who join so they have support if they're going to get fired but don't touch the union outside of that.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sad Panda posted:

I'm a teacher and a recent union motion passed the idea that we can do votes based on majority of response rather than majority of membership. There are so many teachers who join so they have support if they're going to get fired but don't touch the union outside of that.

You cannot hold a legal strike unless at least 50% of the membership has voted in the industrial action ballot. Repealing that law was the basically the top thing I expected from a Corbyn government as most unions are legally barred from doing anything useful because of it.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I do sympathise with a lot of my colleagues who don't feel interested in striking or the union in general because jobs are fixed term and they're likely to get pushed out of the academic sector. It's hard to tell your boss you're striking when they stand to gain the most from union victory, but they don't care and you are likely to move on and not get as much off the pension as colleagues who manage to stay. There's not huge acknowledgment that the pension is salary because people think the prestige of academia makes up for the pay.
https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1432811888274984969?s=19

I'll out myself, I'm in the only public uni not officially recognising UCU. We got a lot of positive response to our petition for all staff recognition when the university offered to recognise UCU only for academic staff and not research and related staff, which was bollocks. People were happy to sign because they saw the injustice but didn't want to join. We have some really great reps, but when people feel their jobs are temporary they're not motivated even to pay the monthly subs for the chance of representation.

I think the "four fights" about pay equality and workload were almost more successful in getting younger staff out because they're uncomfortable about seeming to care about money but happy to take a stand about social justice. And then it's not so big a deal to show them how pensions and pay and just being able to strike in general relate to justice.

jacksbrat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 1, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Odd the thread should mention golden syrup, I went past the Tate and Lyle refineries today and noticed the storage tanks are no longer painted up like tins of golden syrup but just have generic branding on them, no wonder this country's going down the pan.

(A quick street view check reveals they've not been painted like that for over a decade now, so I'm just going to blame Gordon Brown)

Gordon Brown sold all the gold[en syrup]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Niric posted:

Gordon Brown sold all the gold[en syrup]

I feel a song coming on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GUjA67mdc

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Moonwolf posted:

The whole point of the thing is that it was a miracle and only Samson could answer the riddle because he was the only one who has witnessed the miracle.

Because of this I personally think the Philistines were justified in feeling that Samson had broken one of the major rules of riddles, though their response of threatening to murder his wife and family was probably a bit ott and things got a bit out of hand from there on. (For those who may not know their Bible this episode ends with Samson braining 1000 Philistines with a donkey's jaw, setting a model of conflict resolution which would dominate the middle east to the present day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My Labour membership finally officially expired a few days ago (or so the hand-wringing automated emails told me) so please can I be struck off the register in the OP?