Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Catpetter1981 posted:

The great ghost haunting Labour this week was that of a leader who left almost a decade and a half ago.
A spectre is haunting the Labour party, apparently.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's an amazing headline on two levels because

1. You should expect a politician to have a "conviction to win" because gaining political power is there loving job and

2. Kier is so loving poo poo at his job he might actually be the exception to the rule
Honestly I'm beginning to think that both Labour and the Conservatives are assuming that they'll win by default and are using the opportunity to pursue their own agendas.

The tories are pursuing their ideological crushing of the poor and foreign because Labour is in dissarray. Labour are assuming that the tories ate being so nakedly evil that they can purge the left and gently caress about with internal structures and still win. The uniting philosophy on both sides is that 'now is not the time' for better things.

E: bog

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

therattle posted:

Why aren't those police being prosecuted for perjury, as well as assault? (This is a rhetorical question, I sadly know the answer).

if anything, since police are supposed to be trained for their job, the standard for not firing their asses then charging them should be higher than for a random citizen doing a self defense

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Wouldn't it be awful if someone without the proper credentials drove an HGV full of petrol into Scotland Yard.

Just terrible! Thankfully there are measures in place to make sure such a ridiculous scenario could never happen.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly I'm beginning to think that both Labour and the Conservatives are assuming that they'll win by default and are using the opportunity to pursue their own agendas.

The tories are pursuing their ideological crushing of the poor and foreign because Labour is in dissarray. Labour are assuming that the tories ate being so nakedly evil that they can purge the left and gently caress about with internal structures and still win. The uniting philosophy on both sides is that 'now is not the time' for better things.

yes, duh

i honestly can't tell if i'd prefer a lovely starmerist copycat blairite with tory-lite characteristics labour to win or if i want the whole party to crash and burn while the conservatives get a landslide with like 25% through fptp stupidity

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Umbra Dubium posted:

Wouldn't it be awful if someone without the proper credentials drove an HGV full of petrol into Scotland Yard.

Just terrible! Thankfully there are measures in place to make sure such a ridiculous scenario could never happen.

you know that if it happened the conclusion would be to put ugly concrete planters all around scotland yard and also lock up some brown people to show resolve, nothing more

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

therattle posted:

Why aren't those police being prosecuted for perjury, as well as assault? (This is a rhetorical question, I sadly know the answer).

If you prosecuted every cop who lied on the stand for perjury you wouldn't have a police force (not necessarily a bad thing).

One of the more common things is cops trying to beef up 'assaulting a police officer' charges by lying about the person being arrested spitting on them - which I've seen repeatedly disproved by bodycam and dashcam footage (like if the defendant was face down on the bonnet of a car the entire time). It's so commonplace that it's honestly not worth reporting, at worst the judge might say something about how disappointed he is in the police witness evidence, but you're lucky if you get that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idgi

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah the overriding attitude is "we don't care because you don't have an alternative". Unfortunately for Kieth this is true for Tories but not for labour voters who will happily vote for greens/nats/lib dems depending on their location and level of meltiness.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

If you prosecuted every cop who lied on the stand for perjury you wouldn't have a police force (not necessarily a bad thing).

One of the more common things is cops trying to beef up 'assaulting a police officer' charges by lying about the person being arrested spitting on them - which I've seen repeatedly disproved by bodycam and dashcam footage (like if the defendant was face down on the bonnet of a car the entire time). It's so commonplace that it's honestly not worth reporting, at worst the judge might say something about how disappointed he is in the police witness evidence, but you're lucky if you get that.

again, because police are trained for their loving job the standard should be if they don't act in a squeaky clean way it's assault for a bullshit arrest, perjury for lying about it and also getting fired with a lifetime ban on working in police

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's an amazing headline on two levels because

1. You should expect a politician to have a "conviction to win" because gaining political power is there loving job and

2. Kier is so loving poo poo at his job he might actually be the exception to the rule

Kteith is an op. Destroying the opposition is his loving job and he's doing very well at it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

So the current status of Brexit is "we'll force the criminals to drive the guzzoline rigs"?

Carry on.

britain is a bad setting for mad max

while the people are appropriately inbred and deformed, the weather is too miserable most of the year

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the standard spiel I’ve seen in cop trials is “well that’s not how I remember it”, because someone who can not distinguish between reality and imagination is definitely someone you want to have enforcing law

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 30, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1443576393170776076

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

the standard spiel I’ve seen in cop trials is “well that’s not how I remember it”, because someone who can not distinguish between reality and imagination is definitely someone you want to have enforcing law

and then their cop buddy absolutely will not contradict them.

Like, cop witnesses will openly be sat outside courtrooms in little huddles getting their stories straight before giving evidence. It's not even something they bother to hide.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

This sort of "ordinary working people rejected looney left Labour" thing really winds me up.

It's always helpful to have figures to deploy to these sorts of people:

Even in 2019 (let alone 2017), the plurality of voters who are in work (taking out the retired and the unemployed, although the unemployed also mostly voted Lab) voted Labour. The only ones that didn't were those on household incomes above £100k.

It was the overwhelming desire of people 50+ and retired to vote Conservative, and the geographical loving that FPTP generates, that delivered Johnson's majority.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He did.
https://bywire.news/articles/exclusive-mysterious-deleted-tweet-about-keir-starmers-relationship-with-his-personal-assistant

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

and then their cop buddy absolutely will not contradict them.

Like, cop witnesses will openly be sat outside courtrooms in little huddles getting their stories straight before giving evidence. It's not even something they bother to hide.

again, code of conduct should be occifers who are to testify get sequestered and not doing that is an instant firing regardless of whether it's guilty or not in court

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

being a police officer should be inconvenient and put you under extra scrutiny. that probably makes it way more expensive but if cops are given powers beyond regular citizens (yeah yeah not technically the case in the uk, except where it actually is, but come on in practice it is for pretty much everything) then making sure cops aren't power tripping assholes should be worth a few quid

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

suck my woke dick posted:

while the people are appropriately inbred and deformed, the weather is too miserable most of the year

:madmax:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

bessantj posted:

I'd hate to think of the logistical gently caress ups that would happen if they used actual prisoners.

I have bad news for you regarding "prisoners with jobs."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

again, code of conduct should be occifers who are to testify get sequestered and not doing that is an instant firing regardless of whether it's guilty or not in court

It should be, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Honestly the best you can do is assume that the police - and anyone who wants to join - is going to be a piece of poo poo and do your best to mitigate that. You can't really fix the cops, but stuff like bodycams, dashcams, and the public regularly filming the police are the best solution.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Modern office-based jobs being increasingly concentrated in cities and urban centres has been poo poo for parties dependant on actual working people rather than retirees whose incomes are not dependent on their actual location or situation has been poo poo for workers yea.

Also surprised by the minimum wage poll - it's high enough I thought people would be scared off by it being unreasonable, but it's also high enough it's a pay rise for anyone under a full time salary of £28860 soooo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Max Gammon

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

From a few pages back, but

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surprisingly not as apocalyptic as you might expect. Again covid has probably masked a lot of stuff here but for the most part banks have moved their putative HQs to EU cities but the actual trading is still going on in London because of our truly world class hookers and blow reserves facilities for international trade. I mean of all industries banking and international insurance and finance are the ones least bound to any particular territory, so it doesn't particularly matter if selling Yuan to buy Kuwaiti oil futures contracts in dollars happens in London, Dubai or Ulan Bator. Remember a while back when a bunch of banks had a big snit over post-GFC very, very mild increases in regulation and all threatened to move away then came running straight back because as poo poo as the night life in the City and Canary Wharf is it's a shitload better than Zurich.

I am reminded of that Mark Blyth quote where he said that even though Brexit is hurting Britain badly and it will hurt for the next five years at least, Britain speaks the international language of finance (English), has the best technology and best facilities as you mentioned, and is in the best possible time zone to trade with the United States, so yeah, the English financial services industry isn't going to up sticks and move en masse any time soon. (Unless it moves to Ireland, but that seems unlikely.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm up for flying a homemade autogyro around Derbyshire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
These days I'd vote yes to a £100/hr minimum wage just because I know whatever actually comes of it - if anything - will be super watered down in any case.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO THE WATER

*starts pouring down*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Necrothatcher posted:

You can't really fix the cops

Oh I dunno, gis a pair of garden shears...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

This sort of "ordinary working people rejected looney left Labour" thing really winds me up.

It's always helpful to have figures to deploy to these sorts of people:

Even in 2019 (let alone 2017), the plurality of voters who are in work (taking out the retired and the unemployed, although the unemployed also mostly voted Lab) voted Labour. The only ones that didn't were those on household incomes above £100k.

It was the overwhelming desire of people 50+ and retired to vote Conservative, and the geographical loving that FPTP generates, that delivered Johnson's majority.

Working people starts at about £40k with them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm up for flying a homemade autogyro around Derbyshire.

Somewhere on archive.org there's an old magazine with plans to build your own autogyro that just casually mentions, right at the end, that it's almost certainly illegal to fly and even if it wasn't you'd need someone to teach you how to fly it and as it was a single seater that was going to be tricky.

I should probably see if I can find that again, but given I found it accidentally while searching for something else entirely the chances of finding it deliberately are near zero even if I *don't* get diverted off into reading a 1930s article about how to make radium at home for fun and profit or something.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

From a few pages back, but

I am reminded of that Mark Blyth quote where he said that even though Brexit is hurting Britain badly and it will hurt for the next five years at least, Britain speaks the international language of finance (English), has the best technology and best facilities as you mentioned, and is in the best possible time zone to trade with the United States, so yeah, the English financial services industry isn't going to up sticks and move en masse any time soon. (Unless it moves to Ireland, but that seems unlikely.)

It's mostly been a case of banks setting up the required compliance and finance functions in EU countries to tick the regulatory boxes without moving the actual decision-makers.

They generally haven't fired the UK equivalents of those people but long-term there there will probably be some reduction in the number of those roles that are UK based.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Labour are assuming that the tories ate being so nakedly evil that they can purge the left and gently caress about with internal structures and still win.

I doubt that. 2019 was already a loooong shot, coming back from after that to actually winning next time would be pretty unprecedented in UK electoral history.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OJ has always been broadly well-intentioned but a bit on the melty side, so this is quite some language from him:

https://twitter.com/sankarawasright/status/1443588608166793233?s=21

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean melty by our standards maybe but apart from a brief wobble always pro-Corbyn and when Starmer won he was like 'let's give the guy a chance and see if it he actually meant it about unity and those 10 pledges', which, like, I think he was as dubious about that as the rest of us tbh.

He's been mad at Starmer for quite a while now on twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Somewhere on archive.org there's an old magazine with plans to build your own autogyro that just casually mentions, right at the end, that it's almost certainly illegal to fly and even if it wasn't you'd need someone to teach you how to fly it and as it was a single seater that was going to be tricky.
There's a much stripped down version of the private pilot licence since the early 2000s for people that like doing that, the NPPL. Train in a two seater, get a medical certificate, and some insurance in case you end up crashed into a sheep, and you just have to promise that you won't carry passengers and will stay well away from built up areas, flight paths, and anything that anyone might care about, and limit yourself to craft that can't do much more damage than those big fan parachute things.

e: link.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Home bargains trip report
3 completely empty chest freezers and a 4th almost empty apart from 11 ready meals, a bag of alphabites and a solitary box of ice lollies. (Been this way for a week now) Fresh milk looking sparse.
Went to Waitrose yesterday sad looking half empty ice cream freezers and other frozen delights.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Home bargains trip report
3 completely empty chest freezers and a 4th almost empty apart from 11 ready meals, a bag of alphabites and a solitary box of ice lollies. (Been this way for a week now) Fresh milk looking sparse.
Went to Waitrose yesterday sad looking half empty ice cream freezers and other frozen delights.

You should have gotten the Alphabites, they're delicious and you can write yourself lil haikus if you're hungry enough

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BASTARDON GROUP (Formerly Eddie Stobart Ltd.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I should probably see if I can find that again, but given I found it accidentally while searching for something else entirely the chances of finding it deliberately are near zero even if I *don't* get diverted off into reading a 1930s article about how to make radium at home for fun and profit or something.

Isn't the autogyro the highest K:D ratio of any form of transport? Seems insanely suicidal, by which I mean we should crowdfund to buy one for Farage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

OJ has always been broadly well-intentioned but a bit on the melty side, so this is quite some language from him:

https://twitter.com/sankarawasright/status/1443588608166793233?s=21

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.