Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Noxville posted:

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.

He's their Beast Rabban.

e: 98.6 was a 1966 pop-rock single by the musical artist Keith

Cookie Cutter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Noxville posted:

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Noxville posted:

Seems a reasonable supposition to me.

Cookie Cutter posted:

He's their Beast Rabban

lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

Got NieR:AutomataTM half-price on Steam at the moment.

Bit good, innit?

Ah robot upskirt simulator.

It is supposed to be a very good game but 1. I am bad at fighting games and 2. it is too horny for me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't the autogyro the highest K:D ratio of any form of transport? Seems insanely suicidal, by which I mean we should crowdfund to buy one for Farage
The modern ones are a lot more inherently stable, and I think VTOL tiltrotors have always been slightly worse, but the traditional autogyro does have an interesting failure mode where if you push on the stick to escape what you'd think might be a stall the rotor stops and you fall out of the air, whereas if you don't do that they almost never stall.

According to the BMMA the closest place to twisto that contains enough things that nobody cares about for those kind of antics is this bit of England that just seems incredibly full of England and also possibly upside down.

Clean hands Blairmacht

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

SixFigureSandwich posted:

BASTARDON GROUP (Formerly Eddie Stobart Ltd.)

I saw ads for toy Eddie stobart lorries on TV. Maybe we can all make one and have a convoy of tiny hgv models shifting goods around.
:10-4 good buddy:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of places are "upper" and "lower" not based on the map, but instead based on altitude.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Noxville posted:

Absolutely this. Starmer may want to be Blair, but he is and always has been Kinnock.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of places are "upper" and "lower" not based on the map, but instead based on altitude.
Or based on a river, but I'm choosing to believe it's an elaborate trap for London journalists looking for the 'real working class' in Stoke-on-Trent so they end up stuck on the Hoo Peninsula being peppered by falling autogyros.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sanford posted:

All joking aside if anyone has a job that involves sitting in the same place all day a jar with a bit of moss and some fancy woodlice scrumbling about will brighten your day no end.

Now you can also have fun while queuing for petrol!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The modern ones are a lot more inherently stable, and I think VTOL tiltrotors have always been slightly worse, but the traditional autogyro does have an interesting failure mode where if you push on the stick to escape what you'd think might be a stall the rotor stops and you fall out of the air, whereas if you don't do that they almost never stall.

According to the BMMA the closest place to twisto that contains enough things that nobody cares about for those kind of antics is this bit of England that just seems incredibly full of England and also possibly upside down.

Clean hands Blairmacht

Sir John Cosmos strikes again - I walked down Fenn Street (the one in Hackney, not whatever this not-on-the-tube silliness is) the other day.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, a lot of Dublin is confusing like this, it just means the " lower" bits are closer to the Liffey

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angrymog posted:

I am kind of interested in some of the red and black ones - how big a jar do they need, and do you just give them bits of rotten wood or plant based kitchen waste to eat?

My dad has a colony in a sweetie jar that’s probably about six inches tall - one of those plastic jobs modelled to look like an old glass one. I burned a few ventilation holes round the top, put in an inch of soil, a few bits of wood, moss on top and then some leaves. My dad adds a new leaf once every couple of weeks and bits of veg every couple of days, as needed. The colony does so well I have to keep taking them out to stop the jar getting overcrowded. The main danger in such a small enclosure is getting them too wet, or too dry.

If you want to give it a go I’ll be happy to send you a dozen for a starter colony.

suck my woke dick posted:

Missing some Porcellio expansus :colbert:

I got some P. hoffmannseggi instead - I need to update my list!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Noxville posted:

The problem for the sensible people in Labour is that none of the cretins they're imagining will actually turn into Blair are remotely viable as General Election candidates.
Say what you want about Blair (and I have and I will), but he actually had some policies and ideologies to go along with his leadership. The current senior leadership at the party can't have lunch without focus grouping it to death. Why didn't Keith make more of the petrol crisis in his speech? Because there wasn't time to run a loving focus group and report back about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1443340065116069889

:getin:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, a lot of Dublin is confusing like this, it just means the " lower" bits are closer to the Liffey

It's pretty okay to go to Ireland from England now, right? Have some time off coming up and might visit

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Don't post the Isle of Grain or Medway in general without a warning ffs,

I moved to Wales to get away from the racist, inbred pieces of poo poo who live there

Renfield fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 30, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Or based on a river, but I'm choosing to believe it's an elaborate trap for London journalists looking for the 'real working class' in Stoke-on-Trent so they end up stuck on the Hoo Peninsula being peppered by falling autogyros.

[I digress]
Upper Egypt is south - towards the source of the Nile, Lower Egypt is north, towards the mouth of the Nile into the Med. But arabic for south is 'gnub' (Egyptian pronuncation) - towards Nubia, but for north is 'shmel' (left). Indicating an East/West world orientation rather than our North-centric culture. [/I digress]

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1443613585968705549?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

our North-centric culture.
Given the orientation of North Street on that map I'm not so sure we have one of those either.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's pretty okay to go to Ireland from England now, right? Have some time off coming up and might visit

Yeah, if you have coin we have wares. The craic won't exactly be 100%, but it's still nice

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

[I digress]
Upper Egypt is south - towards the source of the Nile, Lower Egypt is north, towards the mouth of the Nile into the Med. But arabic for south is 'gnub' (Egyptian pronuncation) - towards Nubia, but for north is 'shmel' (left). Indicating an East/West world orientation rather than our North-centric culture. [/I digress]

Upper Egypt is up on the Nile. Upper Germany is also up on the Rhine and other N-S rivers in the region, and Netherlands and Lower Germany are down in the north.

Some medieval maps were drawn with Jerusalem (east) on top even in Europe.

But anything would go, really, people weren't too hung up on one orientation.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Noxville posted:

Definitely true. If they wanted him to stick around then their #1 focus at conference wouldn't be rigging the election of his successor

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I too know what Scotland looks like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, if you have coin we have wares. The craic won't exactly be 100%, but it's still nice

the coin isn't going very far lately

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Upper Egypt is up on the Nile. Upper Germany is also up on the Rhine and other N-S rivers in the region, and Netherlands and Lower Germany are down in the north.

Some medieval maps were drawn with Jerusalem (east) on top even in Europe.

Which is why I treated myself to a kid's globe earlier this year which isn't fixed along the rotational axis so I can put different bits of the earth at the centre in different orientations. Hours of fun and better than looking at those flat maps which try to do the same. (Bargain from amazon :spit: - 2 globes - one of the earth, one of the night sky - £8.99 the pair. You can twizzle them every which way.)

Guavanaut posted:

Given the orientation of North Street on that map I'm not so sure we have one of those either.

Maybe it points at the geomagnetic north pole?

And I was today years old when I found out there is a difference between the geomagnetic north pole and the magnetic north pole.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I too know what Scotland looks like.

Brendan McNeill?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Humza Yousaf announces the Scottish Vaccine Certification App and a million chuds in Rangers shirts cry out in anguish.

Also Scotgoons, you'll need to use this app to get into public events in a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1443611815720665088

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lmao

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

keep punching joe posted:

Humza Yousaf announces the Scottish Vaccine Certification App and a million chuds in Rangers shirts cry out in anguish.

Also Scotgoons, you'll need to use this app to get into public events in a couple of weeks.

https://twitter.com/HumzaYousaf/status/1443611815720665088

I don’t think you can blame all the discord between the SNP and rangers fans on the fans at the minute.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Be nice to Keith. It's not his fault that he hears "cops on the beat" and thinks it means like being on the pull.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So how about those Brexit customs checks then? Do I remember correctly that currently the UK is not doing any customs checks at all for anything that is going from the UK to the EU... but that these checks will begin soon?

Was it 1st of October by any chance that the UK-to-EU customs checks were going to begin? Or did they delay... or what was the date again?

How's it gonna go, do you think (my guess is: lol, lmao)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jaete posted:

You've almost at the 6th stage of grief. Don't guess it, feel it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

jaete posted:

So how about those Brexit customs checks then? Do I remember correctly that currently the UK is not doing any customs checks at all for anything that is going from the UK to the EU... but that these checks will begin soon?

Was it 1st of October by any chance that the UK-to-EU customs checks were going to begin? Or did they delay... or what was the date again?

Sometime in 2022... allegedly.

gently caress it.. i'm living in the future.

Life was simpler in the 1970s.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

jaete posted:

Basically, the situation is like this, and will stay that way:

* The EU has implemented full checks for anything going in. UK, being primarily focused on services for export, is facing barriers and a volatile situation. As soon as the UK starts diverging on, say, data protection, the entire industry goes up in flames when EU stops recognising equivalence, which is done unilaterally
* In exchange, the UK is not thoroughly checking imports and does not have the capabilities to do so, so EU based companies can export to the UK fairly easily. Raising barriers now, with shortages already widespread, would blow up spectacularly

You may recognise that this is hilariously one-sided, but it suits the EU just fine. In fact, I don't think they would really object much, but other UK trading partners may find the current situation less than funny.

I think we are currently still at the stage of

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The better question is whether the UK's response is just "gently caress it we're not checking anything coming into the country"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I do not think they will have a choice but to kick the can down the road indefinitely. Certainly as long as crises keep happening whenever another implementation date comes up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1443608283953221637

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nenonen posted:

:grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I think we are currently still at the stage of

Normally i'd agree. But the thing is the guys in charge of this poo poo show also find this hilarious. None of it's going to effect them. The rich and powerful are going to grind this country to dust and walk away to do it again to some place else.

Like, if the EU has some kind of hilarious retaliation that actually stings the inbred shower of cunts we call a government, could they please try that instead?