Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My dog came from Spain so he can move through Europe better than I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

School was told they would get four of them but due to a technical fault the train is now a single pacer.

I lolled at this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It'd be very interesting to know which e-mail sent that at 1am after a few too many drinks and a text from a friend who had been embarrassed earlier that evening.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436879842906103811

14,000 words, not a single policy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even the HMRC are saying 'hey this tax hike thing is a bad idea'.

Surely this wont go through?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you got a link for that at all?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58536118

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Allegedly going to be a reshuffle today which explains the media blitz on Patel and Gove the last few days.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Raab is getting shifted somewhere. Maybe the bin? Who knows.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Williamson is allegedly gone from Education.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Raab is out as foreign sec as best I can tell. Going to Justice.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What the gently caress is the pounds and ounces thing for? Even my grandma in her 80's uses kg.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

building regs (well NHBC tech standards) for fixing a wall plate strap into masonry specify a no.12 wood screw which is 7/32 inches (5.6mm) at 50mm which you can probably just about buy but its a struggle and then specify 'suitable rawl plugs'. Which you can't.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-yellox-pz-countersunk-yellox-woodscrews-6-x-50mm-100-pack/45862

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-duopower-wall-plugs-6-x-30mm-100-pack/1030p#_=p

?????

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
With the cost of gas absolutely kneecapping all these suppliers the forecasts are that we might lose 90% of the energy companies in the UK by the close of the year. They reckon there could be as few as 10 left by 2022.

So much for the free market.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lungboy posted:

Bulb looking ropey https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58619418 so 10 left might be optimistic.

Thats the one that made me blink, they're a big company.

At some point Ofgem is going to be unable to force companies to take people on too. Could we see one of them get nationalised for a bit?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Julio Cruz posted:

one of the other companies will buy them out rather than risk them getting taken into public ownership

But they buy them in at the same rates/credit balances as their previous supplier. Is the issue not that there's so many customers locked into fixed prices that these companies cant afford to buy the energy to supply them? Surely even SSE can't absorb every customer in the UK if the price surges continue.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Borrovan posted:

"I do not want there to be any news stories about me", I say on the BBC's flagship current affairs programme

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1439911810380017669

At this point the party looking the other way on this shite is now obviously approval.

Duffield knows shes gone at the next election so shes also maneuvering herself into the post parliament world too.

Not a single question to her bringing that up either.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't drive, so really don't have much interest in it, but I am a bit interested in green technology stuff, and I've got to say it's pretty bizarre how on SA and left Twitter Teslas are the worst cars ever made and incredibly unsafe and constantly explode, while literally everywhere else I look they're widely considered to be good cars that people like.

They have the build quality and QC of Dacia while charging a Mercedes Premium. If I've paid 80 grand for a car I don't want bits of it held together by zip ties. And thats not even getting started on them allowing the public to beta test their self driving mode which leads to exciting moments like the car deciding to try and run over pedestrians on a crossing because it got confused by a bus.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The government are going to be providing loans to energy firms to take on the customers from firms that have gone bust as none of them want to.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

sebzilla posted:

It's probably a good time to fix your utilities for a year or two, if you can. The current cap will be raised in six months or so and it'll probably be pretty painful.

I've just had a quick look on money saving expert and can fix with Sainsbury's Energy for 24 months at roughly the rate I'm already paying. It feels like a pretty solid idea, given the state of things.

As long as Sainsburys energy still exists in 6 months.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Desiderata posted:

So what was the purpose of this? Is this the Independent attempting to poison the conference, drive more of the left from the party, or a sop to terfs / plain old transphobia from the Indi staff themselves.

Or just plain old shoddy journalism and stupidity. Questions, I am sure, will not be asked.

Rosie Duffield has opened the door to the next festering wound that will split labour apart and now its all people are going to focus on.

Starmers refusal to either deal with Duffield properly or just outright support her is just easy pickings for the journos.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I expect we'll lose another few tomorrow too. Its literally the wild west out there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1440780033044353033

Oh they mad

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fatelvis posted:

Looking at changing our tariff to a fixed rate because

- that seems like a good idea right now
- our variable tariff already sucks poo poo and literally everywhere is cheaper

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of what companies are going to go tits up?

SSE or British Gas.

Anyone else is legit a risk.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhatEvil posted:

He did originally (around the time of the leadership election - possibly just after??) say "we should give Starmer our support" but he's been talking smack about Starmer for ages now.

Yeah he said that so that the 'left' wouldnt immediately fall into doing exactly what the right did and just wreck things for the sake of it. As soon as Kiers colours came out he was ripping on him as he should do.

Also Starmers essay is strikingly similar in both words and tone as David Camerons manifesto. Almost like it was stolen and rewritten.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

one of my neighbours is building a summerhouse and it is an absolute abomination

Tell me your neighbour doesn't know what they're doing without telling me your neighbour doesn't know what hes doing.

The good news, its 100% going to fall down in about 3 years when the weather rots through the random bits of non marine plywood hes using as structural reinforcement since its certainly not built with proper framing timber.

The bad news, if hes building the easy bits like that I can assure you the electrics he runs into there by himself (Because no fuckin legit electrician will touch it) will torch the place and possibly the fence its right next to.

It could also subside given it looks like hes run a few courses of brick on the patio instead of putting it on proper footings.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Convex posted:

how old are we talking here?

Prince Andrew wouldn't be interested.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Noxville posted:

From what I understand it's only (currently) BP stations with a fuel shortage, the queues are all idiots panic buying? Pain for my wife because she needs to fill up ready to drive down to Enfield this evening.

It was BP stations in Kent.

This is entirely the result of the news just making poo poo up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hardly a scientific sample but I went past three petrol stations today (Texaco, BP, Tesco) and all were just straight-up closed, which suggests to me they were running pretty low on stock even before everyone panicked.

Theres plenty of fuel, just no drivers to get it to the pumps.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1441448110069256196

This however makes me feel better. Useless prick.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I knew she could only be trending for one thing, most inevitable divorce of all time.

The mind boggles at how insufferable Elon will be if he channels all that Divorced Dad energy

It could charge up a dozen teslas an hour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The motion has been withdrawn.

Humiliation for Loser Starmer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Drove past Asda at 05:50 this morning after picking my partner up from work, queues for the petrol station were spilling out onto the main carriageway already.

Unfortunately this blocks access for anyone who actually just wants to get into the supermarket. It’s going to get ugly.

Every supermarket is the same, I couldnt get into Sainsburys last night because the queues were a mile in every direction. This morning it was difficult but possible to get in but there was no diesel.

So loving dumb.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Starmers next plan is the increase the number of MP's required to nominate someone to the leader shortlist to 25%. This would have meant in practice there can only ever be 2 nominations, and in the last election Starmer runs unopposed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah but then the neighbours know you've got extremely divorced energy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pretty much everywhere in Poole/Bournemouth seem to be out of diesel if not petrol. There won't be any deliveries until Monday so this is just dumb.

Also all those people will full tanks will still be working from home tomorrow anyway so its even stupider.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Andy Burnham is presenting a load of policy proposals in the manner of someone who is running a leadership campaign.

Theres definitely some maneuvering going on. I think they expect a leadership challenge.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

Jess Phillips will claim she can, but that there's a legitimate medical reason that she'd rather not disclose that means she can't.
She totally would, though.

To be fair its hard to see where you're going with your head so far up your own arse.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I make a lot of my own furniture because I find the process of it just so satisfying. Love when a shelf fits perfectly into a dado in a bookcase, or a dovetail goes together first time. One of lifes exquisite pleasures.

peanut- posted:

Someone's gonna immolate themself in their kitchen before this is done.

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1442241766300655620?s=20

This is explicitly illegal as well right?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

escapegoat posted:

Mind if I ask your reasons for leaving Unison? I'm a member myself and I've been finding them pretty toothless regarding current issues at my workplace and was thinking of joining another one.

Didnt they literally just overrule their members and support Starmers amendment to the leadership policy?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The RLC have probably got hundreds of HGV drivers, I assume the training is on operating the actual tanker bit (which is apparently quite complex). Good for them, it'll be nice for them to have some bragging rights for once - "Oh you were second bloke on the balcony at the Iranian embassy? Well *I* restocked Beaconsfield Services, guess which one did more to actually help the country keep going?"

You're the man that knows everything, but would the petrol stations even accept deliveries from Army trained people given theres no way they'd have the right insurance or ADR qualifications?

Is it just a massive red herring and they're hoping supplies sort themselves out before they're forced to do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gambrinus posted:

Some of you very kindly helped me out a few months ago when I poo poo myself* and buried my head in the sand when I got overpaid by work. That's all sorted out now. Thank you very much.

*metaphorically

No worries and I'm glad its all sorted out.

Gripweed posted:

I know this is an ignorant question but I stopped paying attention once Brexit happened and everything didn't instantly explode. But why is this stuff happening now? Wasn't Brexit several months ago, what was the delay between Brexit and all of these problems?

Because of the nature of the issues its taken time for small things to build up and snowball into big things.