Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/philbc3/status/1433365951458721796?s=19

Won't somebody think about the portrait of the queen!?

This is my monthly opportunity to remind you all that Neil Coyle is an absolute oval office, whose only vaguely redeeming moments come when he's drunk posting on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just find a nice quiet Private Road on the West side of the Isle of Dogs, early in the morning and slowly make your way down, braking every 20m and pointlessly raising the hydraulic lift at the back.
Bonus points if you do it Tuesday or Wednesday AM when it'll be pretty warm and they'll all have their windows open.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

She specifically states "Being a woman means a lot to me. I do not want my womanhood confiscated in print", so in that spirit: You're a oval office, Hilary Mantel.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's because when the higher-ups at the Guardian were on their Gap Yah in Europe, those countries weren't part of 'Europe', so their Interrail card (that Daddy paid for) didn't cover places as foreign and strange as Banska Bystrica, Gyor, Timisoara, Nesebar or London.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I voted for my union's indicative ballot on the NHS pay deal.
3% is more than most are getting, but it's still a poo poo deal that's coming not long after our last poo poo pay deal.

I'm still angry that the union told us the last poo poo pay deal was actually good (not that I voted for it anyway, but still).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

:ironicat:

In case you don't get it, that's Emma Raducanu, who moved to the UK aged 2 with her parents, who the Express are (rightly) featuring on the front page, alongside the usual anti-immigration bullshit

Also, how does one 'steer' a boat that's being piloted by someone else, other than ramming it and hoping it changes direction?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

StarkingBarfish posted:

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436388387884306443

Who do we know in lab that likes to hit the bottle and go on late nite twitter sessions?

Neil Coyle has form , but he's such a oval office, I doubt anyone would let him near the OFFICIAL LETTERS.
Really, the problem is that Labour at the moment is full of the kind of irredeemable assholes you wouldn't bother kicking into the Thames if they were on fire.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile:

HGV tests to have 'reversing' removed and car drivers will no longer need to take a test to tow a trailer or caravan.

I was going to say "They're aware that the "Park it for me" button in Euro/American Truck Simulator isn't a real thing, right?", but it's Grant Shapps, who might actually be that stupid

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And a really rare thing that HGVs do every day into loading bays.

The Govt is solving the problem of too few HGV drivers and causing the problem of too few not-smashed-up HGVs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

The best part being that Raducanu is a Romanian immigrant, so the usual scum can't crow about how we got our first women's champion in 45 years as soon as we left the EU.

I think she was born in Canada - but her parents are Chinese and Romanian.
Honestly, while her Surrey accent kind of gets my teeth grinding, she's still young enough (that sounds wrong) that her enthusiasm for winning matches plays a larger role in her interviews than the usual "oh it's been my dream for sooooo long that I'm just so haaaaappy :qq: :qq: :qq: " See: Andy QQ Murray
Also, it was actually a good tennis match to watch - and I say that as someone who usually finds tennis boring. It turns out that when two young women tennis players really attack each other, the end result makes for good viewing (that sounds wrong).

Really, the lesson to be learned from 9/11 is how piss-easy it is to utterly disrupt the "Decadent Western Way of Life", as long as you you're happy with the uber-rich not being part of that equation (an aspect I imagine Bin Laden would have been thoroughly onboard with).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Presumably, then, his conference speech won't have any policies either.

Hard to imagine that going down well.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If Priti Patel walked into a gurdwara and mowed everyone down with an AK-47, there'd be some oval office at the BBC willing to tweet "well, Sikhs are often confused with Muslims, therefore..." and no-one would be surprised.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

working in the public sector, i have found that the layers of management are infested with people who are anti-education. they are invariably people who have poo poo for brains and have bullied and intimidated their way to the height of their incompetence and they fear and therefore despise anyone who has any kind of higher education

A manager in my directorate emailed around last summer - during the lockdown - that staff who hadn't got their statutory and mandatory training up to date would lose their home-working privileges.
This made me rather angry for a couple of reasons: they weren't "home-working privileges", they were measures to reduce the spread of a deadly loving illness, and; most of the statutory and mandatory training that people weren't up to date with was face-to-face training, which had been suspended due to the deadly loving illness.

I'm sure this manager is nice if you interact with them regularly, but gently caress me they need lessons in how to not be a massive tool.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There was that US bank that wrote a "The future is feudalism" think-piece a few years back that got leaked, wasn't there?

That's certainly the vibe I get from the Tories. Less chance of this bunch of cunts dying of cholera, sadly

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Its almost like all the reasons he highlights are EXACTLY why Gentrification is bad? What a smart cookie.

In 'fairness', there's a rapidly declining number of Bengali residents in the Spitalfields area. Partly because property developers have been regenerating every building they can find, obliterating the social housing stock around there. And partly because the people moving in over the last 3-4 years have been French (and let's face it, no-one wants to live in a French ghetto). The West side of Tower Hamlets is in the process of being made unviable for families because the number of school children in the area have reduced to the point where schools are unsustainable - a few have closed in the last couple of years; others are combining/becoming federations because it's the only way to stay open the Tory rebalancing of the funding formula for schools is also playing a part here. And once the schools close, you won't get them back, because a local authority can't afford to open a school in that area when property prices area so astronomical.

Tower Hamlets council are just sort of sitting there saying "Yo, it's not illegal, bro" while a bunch of utterly obnoxious arseholes roll out plans to turn one of the most famous parts of the borough into a loving outlet village.
John Biggs can go gently caress himself, and die in the process.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's kind of impressive that a party that's completely run out of money would look at its' members - the only people who seem at all likely to give them any money in the future - and tell them to gently caress off.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
What the gently caress is that facial expression?
It's like Tesla designed a robot to mimic human expressions

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think the real answer for Keith's latest worthless plan is that the unions say "lol, gently caress off".
He then takes it to conference and the leadership allow some left-wing groups/events to take place, so that they can promptly throw everyone involved out of the conference.
This allows Keith and the 7 MPs wanking to nazi propaganda videos in a back room to pass the motion unopposed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Stella Creasy's also got that GoFundMe running, so maybe she's lining up a run at the leadership.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Has anyone considered that the helicopters are in fact delivering petrol to IDS' home. Just picking it up from a couple of different cordoned-off petrol stations and leaving it for IDS and his gasoline-fuelled Peasant Misery Machine?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's funny that Keith is even trying this.
I wonder if he just assumes that no-one else has any principles either.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

good news everyone! the taxpayers' money will be carefully looked after!
https://twitter.com/thefabians/status/1442025407084171264?s=19

"Ere, mate."
"Yeah?"
"I got a job for you."
"What is it?"
"See, I've got a bunch of money that I'm gonna spend."
"Yeah? On what?"
"Stuff, y'know."
"What kind of stuff?"
"I dunno. Focus groups; gently caress off big contracts for party donors; arms sales to the Taliban. That kind of stuff."
"Okay, so what do you need me for?"
"Well, you've gotta tell the public it's all good for them."
"And if it isn't?"
"Lie."
"Sweet. Can I get one of those contracts?"
"Sure."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, I'm feeling pumped after Streeting and McGinn's speech.
I'm really excited about all the people wanting to join the party after hearing their inspirational vision of "gently caress everyone who joined our party wanting something better; what a bunch of cunts"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well, Keith won the vote on leadership candidates needing the backing of 20% of MPs to be formally accepted.
Soooo... no left-wing candidate in the foreseeable future.

Also, got to love the brown-nosing of some members who are prepared to stan for Keith. "I think Keith's idea is brilliant, and I'm not just saying that because they've promised me to be my constituency's candidate at the next election."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder how many MPs can drive a lorry

Jess Phillips will claim she can, but that there's a legitimate medical reason that she'd rather not disclose that means she can't.
She totally would, though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kecske posted:

it's just another way of saying Islington Set to mean liberal metropolitan elite op

Yeah, most places in actual North London, these cunts'd be flat-out ignored at best; chased away most likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Noxville posted:

Am increasingly of the opinion that the Labour right don't give a poo poo about Starmer or have any expectations of him leading them into an election, and only have him in to do as much of the dirty work as possible before his position with the entire membership (or what's left of it) is completely untenable so they can then bring someone in to take over with a clean pair of hands.

The problem for the sensible people in Labour is that none of the cretins they're imagining will actually turn into Blair are remotely viable as General Election candidates.
Say what you want about Blair (and I have and I will), but he actually had some policies and ideologies to go along with his leadership. The current senior leadership at the party can't have lunch without focus grouping it to death. Why didn't Keith make more of the petrol crisis in his speech? Because there wasn't time to run a loving focus group and report back about it.