Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Red Oktober posted:

We’re back to monthly threads then? Summer holidays are over!

This is September, so called because it is the seventh month after January, February, March, April, May and Summer.

Also that OzymandiaSmashmouth poem is amazing

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

loving lol

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1433426421230157839?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Also we need to figure out a way so when the planes take off they don't burn big holes in the queen that would be bad.

do not bum the queen's big holes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

​John McTernan (that's Blair's former Political Secretary) is the latest addition to the guilt by association club.

https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/1433750987823587328?s=20

These days, if you say Novara Media are reasonable people and TWT "looks interesting" you're arrested and thrown in jail an antisemite.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Was wondering about doing an entryism in the Greens but it's too late already.

Would have been fun to try to swing them properly left. Scare off the Tories on bikes, get the angry kids in Bristol on board, kick Thangam out of her seat, persuade the SCG and a union or two to cross the aisle (or shuffle along the benches I suppose) and suddenly you're the third party in Westminster.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

NI going up by 1.25% apparently

CON +5 no doubt

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I remember the cons doing this before.
One of the elections before 1997, the cons big ads were 'labour will put income tax up 1%'. So I know more than a few people who voted con on that basis.
Cons won and promptly put NI up 1% affecting more lower paid people than 1% on income tax would have.

Even for the people who'd have been hit either way, they'll have paid more on an NI increase than an income tax one

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gas and electric going up 15% for me, wonderful.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Unite will be voting against David Evans as Labour Gen Sec after a unanimous vote in their exec committee.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Step 1. Smash the Left
Step 2. Wait 12 years
Step 3. Tonty Blair

It's foolproof!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1436077898792853506?s=19

Tories cratering, Labour twitching limply in response

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wait, isn't that the 1st Labour lead since Starmer took over?

No, he had a few last winter. Never reached a lead in polling average though (depending on whose average you trust)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Looks like I'm going to be a local rep for my work union soon. Been added to the group chat already and having run reading back through some old messages; some of the exec seem encouragingly hardcore lefty. More so than I might have expected for the National Trust.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1436341821777535000

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Miftan posted:

They only do the pipes outside the property line, and I'm worried about the pipes outside the house but still within the property area, but thank you for the other tips

Your water supplier might be able to help out, I had Severn Trent out recently for something and saw their map of pipework that might at least be able to give an idea of the age of the pipes which could inform on probable materials?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1436754849727762440?s=20

probs Akehurst, wasn't it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'd been playing EQ lol, flatmates called me through after the first plane hit. The way I remember it being commented on by the live news was as a strange catastrophic accident, and then the second one hit.

Yeah the BBC coverage is on youtube and they spend a LONG time not really knowing what's going on at all. Pretty sure they missed the second plane too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Incredible. Truly beyond parody.

Can only imagine him coked out of his mind in Southside at 2am manically banging it out in all caps. No time to edit, it's due in the morning!

What about the policies, Kieth?

gently caress it, we don't need 'em, just vibes.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Every time someone's structural chocolate collapses in Bake Off we need to cut in a segment about how this is all the fault of gwobba wobba

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Truss going to invade France so that technically all their cheese we eat isn't an import any more

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Any ideas why Marsha de Cordova and Charlotte Nichols have both resigned from the shadow cabinet in the past couple of days?

Guavanaut posted:

homes under the hammer and sickle.

:discourse:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sqrt(-1) = p(-1)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Absolute zero is somewhere between gas mark 1/67108864 and gas mark 1/134217728.

Yeah like Kyle knows anything.

Gas Mark Zero has been theorized by our nation's foremost oven experts. It's a temperature below so-called "Absolute Zero" at which matter moves so slowly it starts going backwards in both space and time.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

quote:

Lib Dems call for radical new approach to Israel/Palestine conflict

The Lib Dems have called for more trade with Palestine and Israel, more resources for peace and upholding of international law by ceasing trade with illegal settlements.

Liberal Democrat members have today passed a motion at party conference calling for a new approach to the Israel/Palestine conflict.

The motion, the first on Israel/Palestine at Lib Dem conference since 2017, reaffirms the party’s call for immediate recognition of the state of Palestine alongside calling on the UK Government to commit further resources to peace.

The Liberal Democrats have become the first UK political party to formally support the creation of a peace fund for the region to build trust between Israeli and Palestinian communities, modelled on similar schemes previously used in Northern Ireland.

The motion sees party members call for increased trade links and cooperation with both Palestine and Israel. It also proposes legislation to ensure that goods and services from illegal settlements in Palestinian territory do not enter the United Kingdom until a negotiated peace settlement is agreed.

Layla Moran MP, Liberal Democrat spokesperson for Foreign Affairs and the first MP of Palestinian descent, commented:

“After the events of the last few years, the two-state solution, promised to the likes of my family, seems more elusive than ever. That’s why the UK Government urgently needs to adopt a radical new approach to the conflict - as set out in this motion.

“This is a distinctly Liberal approach which upholds human rights and the rule of law, while using trade and cooperation as the tools for peace which we know they are. That’s why we want to see more trade with Palestine, more trade with Israel, and the introduction of legislation that will see the UK take steps to uphold international law by ceasing trade with the illegal Israeli settlements in Palestinian territory, unless and until a negotiated settlement is reached.

“The Prime Minister was shamefully absent from the world stage during the awful violence in Israel and Palestine in May. If he truly cares about ‘Global Britain’, he should finally show some awareness of the historic obligations which Britain owes to the region. That starts by recognising the state of Palestine - and adopting the radical new approach as set out in this motion.”

I'm sure the JC will be along soon enough to call out this flagrant antisemitism.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's probably a good time to fix your utilities for a year or two, if you can. The current cap will be raised in six months or so and it'll probably be pretty painful.

I've just had a quick look on money saving expert and can fix with Sainsbury's Energy for 24 months at roughly the rate I'm already paying. It feels like a pretty solid idea, given the state of things. Fixing for a single year would be slightly cheaper but in the long run it probably works out well.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

As long as Sainsburys energy still exists in 6 months.

That's true but by then they'll have already given me £60 of Nectar points so I'll be quids in anyway.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1440257451979276301

So is there any chance in lefty Labour MPs moving now to kick out Starmer before he changes the rules in his favour?

There aren't 40 lefty Labour MPs and most of the ones that do exist are cowards

I'm sure John McDonnell will do a tweet and maybe write a letter though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

josh04 posted:

I don't disagree, but then why did so many putative successors to Blair spend the years 2015-2019 boiling over with rage?

Because they weren't in the big boy chair

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's DCFADP Day you slackers (if my Facebook memories are accurate)

:mrapig:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gary Neville calling the Opposition poo poo on BBC Breakfast is good imo

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

What was that other popular graph that was extremely wrong in all of its predictions? On the tip of my brain...

2008 economic crash recovery?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1440792722034462721?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I remember going into a hardware store once to get fireplace cleaning equipment for when I was living in an apartment in the city. They sold special balloons which were designed to inflate and stick in your chimney to reduce the draft when you are not using it, and be easy to remove if you decide to light a fire.

You can't fool me, that's a sex thing.

e: 66 also a sex thing

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And WFH has only made it better. I used to have to at least pretend I was working at the office, and confine my dossing to the computer. Now I can go to exercise, play videogames, go to the shops, pet the cat, get drunk, and I can do it all while being completely naked

Sir,

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I hate fun and also myself, is there anywhere such a person could stream the Labour Conference in the hope of some funny heckles etc?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1441774559674318851?s=19

No doubt all removed from the hall before the card vote to confirm Evans in post

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Answers Me posted:

I could’ve sworn they used to stream conferences on BBC Parliament, but it doesn’t seem like it today. I guess it’s too intolerably dull even to pre-empt re-runs of PMQs

Apparently it's on YouTube but unlisted. Auto-subtitles have given "Keir Starmer" as "Pierced Armour" which I particularly enjoyed.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1441780132050522112

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Michael Rosen is one of the very best people and I'm so glad he survived his bout of Covid.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

In the spirit of balance she did also call herself a pile of poo poo in the same speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Feeling good about having left Labour and instead become a local rep for my workplace union.