Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

It's the end of an era, no longer can i rely upon Tesco Tinned Sweet & Sour Chicken to taste as advertised, it was a reliable fallback.

Now it just tastes sour, for the past 6 months at least and i had a few old cans from last year that were lovely.

First world problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Can you not add some golden syrup to make it sweeter?

That would derail the whole ''woe is me'' narrative i'm constructing here, besides i already paid £1.50 for it so now i have to buy sugar? :colbert:

Above post should be viewed as light hearted sarcasm, this has been annoying me for months.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well i don't think Priti Patel could be that discrete, we're going to remember her little quip.

But sure, you'll all be getting your blue ration cards soon enough.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Anyone in Northern Ireland know anything about Hyperfast NI (Fibrus)?

Got a letter about them doing firbe broadband in my area but i know nothing about them other than a lot bloody depressing reviews that i read online.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

On the one hand, only people who've had really bad experiences bother posting reviews online.

On the other hand, if you've already got reasonable broadband, why risk that by attempting to switch to some other company?

Thanks for the sanity check. :tipshat:

Still got 11 months left on Sky, not as good as BT but it's half the price.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a NI news issue, so that's a double whammy of media not giving a poo poo

Whereas us in NI have known about this for quite a while and are patiently waiting for the Boris Shitshow to start up again when October 1st arrives.

Emotionally i'm flip flopping between schadenfreude and facepalming at the state of things.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

They're not wrong.... technically.

Happily i don't bother with fast food, my obesity is purely self inflicted (i'm now down 20lbs since xmas).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/09/08/geronimo-the-tb-positive-alpaca-initial-post-mortem-results/

People should wait for the full loving report from Defra. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh yeah, feel that burn baby. :batuka:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

i'll bet when that starmer makes a pot noodle, he fills it right up to the brim :mad:

Dear god. :cry:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Is that true? I always thought that was an old wives tale.

If a mouse dies in your cistern would you want to use it? ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think the UK is pretty much buggered until you get proportional representation up and running.... it's your only hope.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The river Derwent’s real name is the river Om, which makes infinitely more sense when the other rivers near it are called things like the Ouse, Don, Ure, Noe, Wye, and so on. Wiki makes up some bollocks about how it’s in a Welsh poem but local historians think at some point, probably Elizabethan, there was a aristocratic ninby who thought “Om” was a bit uncouth.

They should have meditated on the river Om but they Derwent their own way....... i'll see myself out.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My 9/11 memory: it was the 3rd anniversary of my mums death (gently caress cancer) so i had taken the day off work.

Was lying in bed watching BBC News 24 as they covered the first crash and then saw the second one crash live.

That was not a good day at all.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

The best part being that Raducanu is a Romanian immigrant, so the usual scum can't crow about how we got our first women's champion in 45 years as soon as we left the EU.

Her tennis outfit is suspiciously Blue, Red & Yellow(hat thingy).... i wonder whose national flag has those colours? ;)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dishi Rishi has made a powerful enemy in the Irish people today

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1437677424121106439?s=19

Only the DUP and their followers believed in that bridge/tunnel/Stargate to Scotland.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean since its basically impossible from an engineering perspective, I think even the DUPers only believed in it to the extent that they were incredibly naive, or else thought they could personally profit/show their ingroup affiliations/stick it to Them 'Uns.

For the higher ups i'm going with profit and grinding Them 'Uns when they can do so.

Might be possible engineering wise but it would be of the upmost folly to do it, it would make the Burj Khalifa and Ryugyong Hotel look positively sane.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

I 100% guarantee Rees-Mogg got the job because he can uniquely connect with the Irish people due to being Catholic.

He just wants to be closer to his Ireland based investment companies. :agesilaus: :homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew: :agesilaus:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Centigrade/Celsius makes the most sense to me as 100 means its loving boiling! and 0 means it's loving freezing!

Simple to visualise for everyday use, Kelvin for everything else. :v:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fahrenheit is archaic and used only in one country (+ several small islands), time will take care of it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just got an email from Sky yesterday saying that they are splitting off the Sky TV from the rest in December.

I'm a broadband + land line customer since last Dec, it's ok but my speed has consistently dropped since then. Just enough for YT @ 1080 but can't game online at same time now.

First world problems. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Food shortages in the Year 2022 you say?

Thank god us in NI can raid all the Spars & Lidls across the border, we'll be smuggling more than butter this time around.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

With the cost of gas absolutely kneecapping all these suppliers the forecasts are that we might lose 90% of the energy companies in the UK by the close of the year. They reckon there could be as few as 10 left by 2022.

So much for the free market.

That's the Free Market forces in action my good man!!! :dumbbravo:

Dear god it's all going to be a total shitshow.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've postponed my wedding twice, 2 years in total. People ask "oh that's tough isn't it?" and I'm like "no, it's just delaying a big party because lots of people are dying at the moment, it's fine actually"

Better safe than sorry for sure, wishing you an early happy wedding day! (saying ''premature'' sounded wrong). :cheersbird:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, why did Boris Johnson decide his trip to the White House during the U.N. annual meeting was the time to announce his secret child?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1440375951603298305
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1440363969881927689

I thought he had seven kids?

I swear this deadpool is getting bigger every year. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

peanut- posted:

Every time I've done the maths before it would cost more to run a single small electric heater pointed at my desk than it costs to turn on the gas central heating for my entire flat.

I've got the exhaust from two computers under the desk directed towards my legs, gaming keeps me warm. :eng101:

Also bought 700L of oil for £320 last week so unless the electricity in Northern Ireland gets cut off i'll be fine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Biggus Dickus posted:

Minor heart attack this morning when Octopus emailed me to say my electric was going from 13p/5p to 26p flat rate. Then someone checked the computer and it turns out they had renewed me on my existing rates just before everything went nuts.

Purely coincidentally I met with a former employer who is now an agent for air-source heat pumps and home batteries. Have been planning the pump thing for a while but now looks like a good time to investigate both.

Skill Builder on YT has a few vids on heat pumps, the good & bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAKMAcmJFg

No personal view on them, i just have a varied YT sub list. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I cant tell if this is an impression of Boris or Kieth or both.

There is no difference. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

According to the FT: Boris Johnson orders rapid fix to UK shortage of truck drivers https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-9019-471b-9cbf-d7554c3b40b2

That lad does NOT like bad publicity at ALL and yet he talked about Kermit the Fog in a speech at the United Nations. :downsbravo:

How many E.U. HGV drivers are desperate enough to return to this mad house i do no know.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I posted about it in cspam but they're proposing adding them to the seasonal agricultural worker scheme, literally the most poo poo-tier type of work visa there is.

Seems more like a media stunt than anything, can't imagine people jumping on that poo poo.

I think you definitely hit the nail on the head there, Boris is all about the 'gesture', one can assume that they shall be arriving via the N.I. to Scotland tunnel/bridge in due course.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Boris wanted to be Winston Churchill, he ended up being a poorly manufactured Kermit the Frog. :downsbravo:

Labour needs.... i don't know what the gently caress Labour needs, but i don't think Starmer is the answer.

I think my main hope of Irish reunification is to never again having to listen to British *political views on anything at all.. ever. :confused: :shrug:

*edit to clarify.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 25, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The way things are going I can imagine even the DUP will be clamouring for Irish reunification shortly

They lived long enough to see their heroes become the villains? :stare:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

What does a country do when it becomes irrelevant to twenty seven or more of it's neighbours?

Stay tuned to find out!!! :byodood:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So update on the fuelpocalypse from my area.

There are abandoned cars everywhere that have have presumably run out of fuel. Picking my partner up and dropping a colleague of hers off before 06:00 today and every petrol station bar one has run completely dry. That one station is now showing all green on Google Maps so I’d wager that has now also run out.

I also had an emergency call out I was due to attend this morning which has been aborted because the crews don’t have enough fuel to make the trip and can’t get any anywhere. My partner also told me more than one person has been suspended at her place after being caught stealing diesel from the HGV fuel supplies they keep in their yard.

People are still driving like morons and in an uneconomical fashion so despite the shortage few seem to be trying to conserve what they have. I pulled out every trick I have in the book and managed to average nearly 52mpg on this mornings run. For a 2 litre petrol I’m pretty pleased with myself not gonna lie.

Logistics, logistics, logistics.... ignore it at your peril.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Another week, another dose of schadenfreude. :discourse:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

stev posted:

Is there a word for schadenfreude that causes you to suffer just as much as your enemies?

Sorry, too busy laughing in Northern Ireland Protocol/Good Friday Agreement. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

peanut- posted:

Someone's gonna immolate themself in their kitchen before this is done.

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1442241766300655620?s=20

If he starts collecting glass bottles, sugar & rags..... he MAY be a problem.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

He was my local MP when i was growing up & helped my da when he injured his back at work, helped him through all the legal crap to get compensation (not that you got much in the 70's).

They both talked a terrible load of shite so that's probably why they got on despite the politics. :hfive:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Behold!.... The chosen one!

Probably/possibly not, given his supposed record of bullying. :shrug:

But he acts more human than Starmer ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

Where are they even going to launch the rockets from?

The N.I./Scotland tunnel is in fact an elaborately disguised launch tube that will elevate vertically to launch our great vessel into the stars! :perfect: