Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

learnincurve posted:

I think it’s mandatory. For a bit my dad worked in “Washington DC, not Washington state, Washington DC” which is it’s actual real name.

No no, it's not Washington District of Columbia, it's Washington Direct Current, as opposed to the parts of Washington that use alternating current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Aaland surely if you're not going to do ringed-a :shobon: (it's awe-land not al-and)

I knew the name sounded familiar historically https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85land_War

You can just say "Finland's Quebec" and be understood.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sanford posted:

All joking aside if anyone has a job that involves sitting in the same place all day a jar with a bit of moss and some fancy woodlice scrumbling about will brighten your day no end.

Now you can also have fun while queuing for petrol!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

[I digress]
Upper Egypt is south - towards the source of the Nile, Lower Egypt is north, towards the mouth of the Nile into the Med. But arabic for south is 'gnub' (Egyptian pronuncation) - towards Nubia, but for north is 'shmel' (left). Indicating an East/West world orientation rather than our North-centric culture. [/I digress]

Upper Egypt is up on the Nile. Upper Germany is also up on the Rhine and other N-S rivers in the region, and Netherlands and Lower Germany are down in the north.

Some medieval maps were drawn with Jerusalem (east) on top even in Europe.

But anything would go, really, people weren't too hung up on one orientation.