Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Praying for a message from Gibbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sanford posted:

What do they say if actual London Bridge falls down

Queen dead, so what

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Brave solider lowers the last remaining flag to half mast 9 minutes and 58 seconds after the Queen dies, thus preventing a new civil war.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Daniel Craig returns as Colonel Flag Shagger

James Bond will return in Flagfall.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

i hope that llama had tb

Kier Starmer burner spotted

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Been preparing to do it for a while now but this week I pulled the trigger and I'm about to move from Ireland to the UK. Is there anything I need to know about getting set up there? I know I immediately have the right to work and reside because I'm an Irish citizen and that I will need to get a NI number asap, then register with the NHS to prevent any issues later on down the line. Getting set up with a bank and a proper place to live that isn't my partner's parents' house is next on the list, along with getting a job. I've applied for some entry level government positions and will look more in the private sector in about two weeks, right before I'm about to move. I don't see myself having too much of an issue with the job search? I have plenty of call centre skills and I've worked as an office administrator for the last few months, plus I have a degree (in Arts, but they included some web training so I have some "employable" skills).

As for the inevitable "why" (because god knows I've thought it myself) -- rent/general cost of living in Ireland is way too high, I have better opportunities for my Masters degree in the UK, and my partner lives there. Plus, I enjoy living in urban areas and I can't do that in Ireland without getting even more priced out.

Any advice would be great!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol dude have you checked COL/rent in Dublin lately. OP is probably making the right move, even though anti-Irish racism will probably drive him out within a few years

Yeah I live on the commuter belt to Dublin at the moment and the minimum rent for anything is €1,250p/m not including utilities, bills, ect. On top of that, my last roommate managed to get a single bedroom apartment for €1,000 per month and immediately had to move out because 1) they hid a bunch of black mold that he only found when he properly moved in and 2) the landlord just walked in and took a poo poo without calling, knocking, anything like that.

I keep hearing how bad rents are in the UK but every time I check out a few potential places I just get legitimately mad at how dire the situation is here in Ireland. There are places within the city centre of Manchester that are billed as fancy new-builds and they're *still* €300 less than anything you can get around here.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'm so sorry skull servant

I'm sorry too. God knows I don't want to look at England as a better place to be.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait are you a servant to skulls or a skull that is also a servant?

E: or a servant OF skulls, for whenever someone needs a skull

It's from a YGO card! The Skull Servant is a servant to the King of the Skull Servants, who is also just a regular Skull Servant.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How can the king of the skull servants be a regular skull servant. If he was regular he wouldn't be king!

None of this is adding up

Look at his flavour text!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

I lived in a new build in Manchester that was used as the site for filming some dystopian prison film.

On the other hand you can buy a proper mansion in the nicer bits of Manchester with the same amount of money as a shed conversion with a bucket toilet in London.

I lived in Toronto for two years and right before I moved in they were using the downstairs of the apartmentsbto shoot an episode of Alias or something? Then right after I left they used it to shoot some stuff for Umbrella Academy.

Stuff like that is why I actually like living in cities/larger towns. Stuff actually happens! Much rather deal with urban issues than the boredom and isolation that comes with rural life.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can assure you the "fancy" new builds in Manchester (and any other postcode above the magic number on some spreadsheet in Panama) will be worse than anything built prior to 2000 either side of the Irish Sea as long as it still has a roof on.

"Luxury" flats - no other kind have been built since the World Trade Centre fell - are all the exact same 3-box construction, with a combined living room/kitchen to make them look bigger but also guaranteeing your furniture always stinks of cooking, bedroom(s) exactly 60cms larger than a double bed, and an unaccountably huge but poorly laid-out bathroom (huge because of laudable accessibility requirements, poorly laid-out because they wanted to spend as little as possible on plumbing. The built-in storage will be a single awkwardly-shaped cupboard next to the utility riser.

They will have a balcony which is large enough for a table and two chairs and nothing else (and normally an appearance covenant banning you from having anything but a table and two chairs, meaning you can risk eviction for wanting to air out your towels (which you can never get fully dry because the bathroom will be underventilated), and if you're very lucky you'll be in a building where the architect had a ~vision~ so at least one of your windows will be off-centre and of such a weird shape you'll have to have curtains or blinds custom-made for it and there will be at least one non-square room making replacing the flooring from the cheapest poo poo laminate they installed will be an expensive pain in the arse.

Most of all though it will have two sheets of gyprock between you and the next dwelling, meaning you will be able to hear your neighbours blink, and will be over-insulated and under-ventilated so it'll never, ever be a comfortable temperature and humidity and completely overrun by mold the moment you take your eyes off it - and that's all assuming it isn't wrapped in flash paper that you have to replace out of your own pocket but using a company chosen by the freeholder who put the flash paper on in the first place, all while paying a service charge that is somehow almost as big an expense as your rent/mortgage.

It's an amazing testament to capitalism that they've somehow managed to make something worse than Ronan Point but also make a single flat in there cost more than three floors of the shittiest LPS tower block.

I hardly expect it to be good, and absolutely believe you. I'm just always shocked that, compared to Irish rent rates, living in the city is actually affordable.

We are probably going to end up slightly outside the city itself. Still a bit cheaper. Anything is better than my last place, where I would routinely have to go up into the attic at 4am because it started raining and the landlord refused to fix the holes in the roof. All while living in a box room which, as I noticed after I left, was building carbon monoxide for the pleasure of €1,150. (The house was immediately relisted for €1,250 with no changes.)

I know I haven't experienced the rental market in the UK yet but I absolutely assure you the situation in Ireland is the stuff of nightmares.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Toronto especially I think gets used because it has a very fancy building in the middle that was in the second resident evil movie I think and also it is easy to get to from yankeeland.

(it has been in a lot of movies but yet again my extremely weird list of movies I have actually seen is causing me to re-enact the "boss baby vibes" tweet)

They also have a bunch of subways that aren't in use anymore so studios shoot in them as a generic NYC-like subway. Cheaper than NYC and they also probably get tax breaks from the provincial government.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just as a matter of interest I looked up one of the few places in Manchester I know quite well[1] and there's 2-bedroom terraces going for under a grand a month, for a place 5 minutes from a tram stop and 20 minutes walk to Media City. Pop the other side of the road into the M5 postcode and the price doubles. Insanity.

[1] I have - to the surprise of nobody - a very limited but very deep knowledge of the Outer Darkness, in that I intimately know at least one dodgy industrial estate near a canal in every decent-sized city south of the border, from a prior life spent visiting dodgy little internet Points of Presence for a company that used canal towpaths for their fibre infrastructure.

That's one thing I have to get used to, more stark class divides based on area. Not saying it doesn't exist in Ireland, because obviously it does, but it's less pronounced due to how society was restructured in the decades immediately before and after Independence.

The place I was living in Canada became super gentrified apparently after I left with rent prices doubling in the last six years which is ridiculous. It was an old industrial area that suddenly got a massive facelift and specialized apartments.

Hilariously, one of the early ones that went up on my commute when I was there was called "The Kip".

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Toronto plays NYC in loads of films. It got to play itself in Scott Pilgrim.

[whispering to date while watching TTC station when subway pretending to be in NYC appears on the screen] That's TTC

My partner loves Scott Pilgrim and all Edgar Wright movies in general so when I brought them to Toronto pre-covid we were required to go to all the locations and bars. Sadly they knocked down Honest Ed's outside a Pizza Pizza used for a scene by the time I came back. Place was a complete maze filled with the most ridiculous stuff you would never want.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dishi Rishi has made a powerful enemy in the Irish people today

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1437677424121106439?s=19

I mean this was never going to happen but hilarious that this happens as the DUP are imploding in polls.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Build the bridge and then immediately unify Ireland and make Scotland independent.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

He was also Taoiseach, probably worth mentioning. And I think he's a dickhead

I only heard about this show like two weeks ago and was really surprised that anyone anywhere gives enough of a poo poo to give him his own show.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

These days you immigrate to britane and you get given a house and become a landlord and own a shop.

But I don't want to be a landlord :(

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Isn't the target for the Lib Dems less the old Tory who is socially regressive and more the One Nation "Economically conservative but culturally liberal" conservative voter? Therefore, attempting to go for those metropolitan Conservative seats that mostly believe that the flag waving bring back pounds and ounces is gauche?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Lib Dems announce a two-skills-wallet solution to the issue in Palestine.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blairism with Islington Characteristics.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Geronimo was an alpaca, not a llama.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Gibbo don't let me down

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought the mayors had to resign as mayors before they could stand for leadership or am I wrong?
Or can you be LOTO and a mayor?

If I recall, it won't matter. To be Labour Leader you need to be a sitting MP (maybe Lord?). He would need to win a by-election to run, unless they change the rules.

I assume it would be similar to the situation in Canada where the Liberals won an election in 1945 but their leader, Mackenzie King, lost his personal seat. Someone in a safe seat stood down and he was re-elected.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tough on centrism, tough on the causes of centrism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

LIB DEMS ARE WINNING HERE ------> Labour Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

suck my woke dick posted:

britain is a bad setting for mad max

while the people are appropriately inbred and deformed, the weather is too miserable most of the year

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO THE WATER

*starts pouring down*