Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Some of the little trees in boxes are anti-terror infrastructure. The boxes are designed to withstand vehicles driving into them, but people find them less objectionable if they think they're planters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lungboy posted:

Bulb looking ropey https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58619418 so 10 left might be optimistic.

I changed supplier from People's Energy a couple of months ago, because Look After My Bills found a cheaper deal. They were a pretty good company, I really liked their community approach and it's a shame they've gone. Their customer service was much better than Scottish Power who spelled all my names incorrectly and then acted like I was being unreasonable when I pointed out this made their utility bills useless as a form of ID for me.

Fingers crossed the winter is mild and people need to use lots of energy heating their homes.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
From a few pages back, but

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe this is just the autism talking, but it's absolutely maddening interacting with 90% of the world because I see these errors built on errors and I just want to take them apart and rebuild them properly from scratch, but then people get pissy because they're used to using it that way, i.e. wrong.

Our old IT person, before they were austeritied out of a job, was aghast that everyone begged them not to touch the slow and clunky software we used, because it was so much better than the previous system we had to work with. Her attitude was "it could be so much better" and ours was "it could be so much worse".

blunt posted:

Legacy support in js/css is a legit killer still. For example I can say from first hand experience that there's a large (hundreds of millions of £ turnover) UK web based retailer that still gets about 9% of their orders from devices running Internet Explorer 11, which is way to much revenue to give up on by not supporting.

We had one computer on Microsoft Access 2007 and IE9 long, long after support was dropped, because the company was too cheap update some business critical software to a version that could run off literally anything else. It was an embarrassment. We had to hide the computer from IT.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

vodkat posted:

What actually happens if my energy supplier goes bust? I’m assuming your gas isn’t shut off at midnight, is it just a change to the letter head and price at the end of the month?

We're going to be assigned to whichever of the Big 6 will take us on. Take a photo of your meter ASAP, and download your last statement if you can. I tried to log in to access my bills and account history when I heard the news my supplier was bust, but it was already too late.

Your supply won't stop, but do not attempt to do anything yourself to get a new supplier, because it'll only cause confusion. Quite a few people I know have had the same thing happen and British Gas seems to be the supplier everyone is beign allocated to.

I left one of the big 6 companies over their shoddy customer service about a year ago, and now I might be forcefully allocated to them. There's no escape.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Recommending Hothands hand and feet warmers before the prices shoot up. Probably not good for the environment as they're single use, but they heat up when exposed to air and stay warm for a good 8-10 hours. They do a decent job of keeping extremities warm if you have poor circulation, and putting them in bed or under blankets gets you toastier quicker.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, but I was just kinda assuming that most Europeans had passports, which turns out may be a wild assumption on my part., Hard to google up reliable figures, but it seems like nowadays more Yanks than Germans might have passports? Schengen notwithstanding I'm still very surprised, since something like 75% of the UK has a passport (and for Ireland something like 130% of the resident population have Irish passports)

Don't quite a few European countries have an ID card, whereas more Brits might need a passport as their ID?

Edit: beaten.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How likely do people think an early (2022) election is? I've heard exactly one person express confidence in this, because they think the Tories will want to reset the electoral clock before the Brexit extention periods run out next summer.

It's not a particularly convincing argument (unless Boris singlehandedly saves Christmas) but then again the opposition is a complete mess and will have potentially alienated even more of their core base by next spring.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

So basically, the UK and the EU need to come to an agreement of some kind that involves waiving or simplifying those customs documents, or moving stuff between the UK and the EU will just be permanently significantly more expensive and take significantly more time.

And it seems like the latter option is the one they're going with because the former would be too complicated and they don't want to think about it?

That agreement of some kind is what we opted to leave. The only reason that Leave pooh-poohed the time and expensive of trade was because they either didn't understand, or believed that EU countries were so desperate for our imports that they would waive all the rules.

It's not even a matter of ease of trade, it's things like priorities. The current C02 shortage is worse here because we import it from the EU and those companies prioritise other EU countries. We have to wait even if the entire border force did collectively agree to waive through the tankers.

It'll get worse, because we haven't implemented Brexit fully yet. Some of the customs and imports rules have been pushed back to next year. In the meantime, EU imports are not subjected to checks, so it's easier for EU companies to sell to the Britain than it should be. But this can't continue forever, because it puts the EU at an advantage, compared to the rest of the world, and we're not allowed to do that. At some point America and China will lodge a complaint. At best this means we're annoying countries that we're trying to get a trade deal with, and at worst the WTO imposes penalities.

That's the visible damage. The UK exports more in terms of services than it does physical items, and there's the same complications with those. For example, the Government started talking recently about changing the data protection laws. Well, the EU ones are pretty strict, and if we diverge from them too much, British companies may not be able to process the personal information about EU citizens, i.e. EU customers' personal details. That will have a massive impact, whether your're shipping them a physical item or working in a call centre for an multinational company.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If everyone's a police, who will be left for them to attack?

Makes you think.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im a bit torn on this as I think youre all being a bit tedious about police. Like it wasn't a policeman that raped and murdered her. It was a rapist and murderer that was a policeman.

He'd still have been an awful human being without being in the police, but the problem is that the police system either failed to pick up on this, or knew and didn't care. He was nicknamed 'The Rapist' because he made his female colleagues feel uncomfortable, and he'd been accused of indecent exposure at least twice. He still passed all the enhanced clearances necessary.

Don't forget that he wiped his phone data 39minutes before he was arrested, because someone tipped him off, which means even at that very late stage at least one of his colleagues was still protecting 'one of their own'.

Very few police commit rape and murder, but plenty turn a blind eye to worrying patterns of behaviour from their colleagues that they wouldn't ignore from a random person in the street. It's a systemic problem of dismissing certain behaviour as boys being boys, or just some whiny women who can't handle a bit of bantz, and then claiming that the police couldn't possibly have noticed the signs of escalation or recognised that someone they worked with was a threat to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

I do not think they will have a choice but to kick the can down the road indefinitely. Certainly as long as crises keep happening whenever another implementation date comes up.

They can't. We could blame Covid as a reason to defer and in general other countries accepted that, but it goes against international law to allow the EU's imports in unchecked but not those from other countries. It undermines the concept of a trade bloc. Eventually China or America will object, and the result will either be we impose customs checks on EU imports, or we have to let everything in. The former is how you get real food shortages and riots, the latter is how you burn to death when your unsafe electrical goods explode, the smoke alarm is faulty, and the fire services' uniforms turn out to be made of nylon.