Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Have we heard anything about Truss yet? With any luck she's out of Women and Equalities, but with that said, that opens up the possibility of someone terfier to get the portfolio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/WhatTheTrans/status/1438156740105801730?s=19

welp

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1438435866209312768?s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

When I started thinking of fahrenheit as a percentage level of temperature, I realised, yeah, that makes sense

still prefer centigrade tho

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this lovely island's lack of numeracy is why the British Empire was a horrible idea

well, that and Europe's ascendency over Asia in general, but to prevent that from happening, you'd probably need to strangle Genghis Khan in the cradle

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, that would be ridiculous.

There is in fact a far, far more sensible situation where each successive drop of 25 degrees (fahrenheit) below 275 (gas mark 1) halves the gas mark, so 250 degrees is gas mark 1/2, 225 is 1/4, and so on. Therefore 212 degrees (100C) is more or less halfway between gas mark 1/8 (200) and gas mark 1/4 (225), so it would be gas mark 3/16. Duh.

ah yes, and we all know that famous line: "Gas Mark 3/16 says 'I just cooked your rear end'"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so the two major parties are offering their variants on 'socially conservative, economically conservative' and the half-major party is like 'yeah, we're okay with this economic conservatism stuff, but you know how we'll finally break through for the first time in forever? Social liberalism'

England and Wales do not have a hope in hell, and I am becoming less optimistic about Scotland and Northern Ireland by the day

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao if you honestly think the Tories want to buy an energy company

that's like Peter Mannion buying a bank and being pissed off that he has to raise taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

From a few pages back, but

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surprisingly not as apocalyptic as you might expect. Again covid has probably masked a lot of stuff here but for the most part banks have moved their putative HQs to EU cities but the actual trading is still going on in London because of our truly world class hookers and blow reserves facilities for international trade. I mean of all industries banking and international insurance and finance are the ones least bound to any particular territory, so it doesn't particularly matter if selling Yuan to buy Kuwaiti oil futures contracts in dollars happens in London, Dubai or Ulan Bator. Remember a while back when a bunch of banks had a big snit over post-GFC very, very mild increases in regulation and all threatened to move away then came running straight back because as poo poo as the night life in the City and Canary Wharf is it's a shitload better than Zurich.

I am reminded of that Mark Blyth quote where he said that even though Brexit is hurting Britain badly and it will hurt for the next five years at least, Britain speaks the international language of finance (English), has the best technology and best facilities as you mentioned, and is in the best possible time zone to trade with the United States, so yeah, the English financial services industry isn't going to up sticks and move en masse any time soon. (Unless it moves to Ireland, but that seems unlikely.)