Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

Anyone here in UCU? It looks like we're in for a fun ride this year.

Yep really excited to have to do it all again at my stupid lib university where nobody wants to go on strike because "I only agree with two of the five demands so I won't strike at all" or "I don't like conflict" or "I make enough money so it's wrong to strike about pensions" or "I don't like not working" or "the leadership's messaging is too extreme". Honestly these people are still convinced that data and education change things despite living through the past decade.

Comrades on the picket make it all better, and knowing other universities' staff aren't so uniformly obstinate helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I do sympathise with a lot of my colleagues who don't feel interested in striking or the union in general because jobs are fixed term and they're likely to get pushed out of the academic sector. It's hard to tell your boss you're striking when they stand to gain the most from union victory, but they don't care and you are likely to move on and not get as much off the pension as colleagues who manage to stay. There's not huge acknowledgment that the pension is salary because people think the prestige of academia makes up for the pay.
https://twitter.com/lottelydia/status/1432811888274984969?s=19

I'll out myself, I'm in the only public uni not officially recognising UCU. We got a lot of positive response to our petition for all staff recognition when the university offered to recognise UCU only for academic staff and not research and related staff, which was bollocks. People were happy to sign because they saw the injustice but didn't want to join. We have some really great reps, but when people feel their jobs are temporary they're not motivated even to pay the monthly subs for the chance of representation.

I think the "four fights" about pay equality and workload were almost more successful in getting younger staff out because they're uncomfortable about seeming to care about money but happy to take a stand about social justice. And then it's not so big a deal to show them how pensions and pay and just being able to strike in general relate to justice.

jacksbrat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 1, 2021

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I absolutely thought that quote was going to refer to the British press based on the opening of the article, but lol at me for expecting that from anything printed in the Guardian.