Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The poles are often very skewed, it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keep America Committee.

Meetings for the Meeting God, Minutes for the Minutes Throne.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could get paid to be wrong about politics full time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm already going insane I'm just not making any money off it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you tried to make me read classic literature I would be killing by the end of the week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

It's the end of an era, no longer can i rely upon Tesco Tinned Sweet & Sour Chicken to taste as advertised, it was a reliable fallback.

Now it just tastes sour, for the past 6 months at least and i had a few old cans from last year that were lovely.

First world problems.

Can you not add some golden syrup to make it sweeter?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think technically you can make it yourself by heating sugar and water, as it is just partially hydrolysed sucrose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can't find sugar and water you can make your own in a sufficiently large particle accelerator by banging protons together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's literally just toasted sugar which explains why it tastes fabulous. You take sugar and do the thing that makes everything taste good to it.

I don't know if there is a specific step you have to stop at but yeah it's up there with "boil a can of condensed milk to make caramel" in terms of knowledge that is probably equal parts impressive and ruinous for your dietary health.

I don't know if it as commonly used outside the UK for some reason though, or at least as a thing you buy and use at home rather than in commercial baking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I am used to adding syrup or honey to a lot of things that are more sour/savoury than I was wanting, goes well with barbeque sauce too. Also dilute honey works as a very simple pan deglazer to make a faintly sweet sauce if you don't have any wine or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CERN could definitely get funding if they open a restaurant that serves food synthesised entirely on site from subatomic particles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's :thunk: for future reference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh my god I clicked through.

Love that it's piss diamond coloured.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

Published by Labour in Communications, a group made up of Labour supporters working in communications, Fit for the Future made a number of recommendations on how the party can regain power at the next election, including:

“Integrating and investing in digital, placing it at the core of the communications strategy;
“Reintroducing a pledge card of announcements to tie together different policies;
“Embracing and developing relationships with businesses of all sizes;
“Creating a political cabinet with a mandate to deliver Labour’s message to the public, comprised of senior figures from within the shadow cabinet and regional leaders where Labour is in power;
“Holding shadow cabinet meetings outside of London on a rotational basis to detoxify the party’s London-centric image; and
“Refocusing Labour’s message to the public to be centered on our vision for the country, and not our own internal issues.”

So it's literally just some loving buncha nerds made a PDF, led by "former party leader neil kinnock" (when the gently caress was he party leader???) and we have to INVEST IN DIGITAL, PLEDGE CARDS

E: oh wait neil kinnock sorry I thought it was the other kinnock, also I thought that neil kinnock was dead lmao.

If you want to read the hell pdf yourself:

https://labourlist.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Fit-for-the-future.pdf

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big fan of the idea that if you move the shadow cabinet into a room in hull for a meeting it will magically make them less london centric.

E: what the gently caress

quote:

The group stated that Labour has announced over 200 non-Covid related policies since Starmer became leader, and argued that “simply announcing fewer policies would ensure that the ones they do announce would get more cut through”.

What the gently caress is a policy to these people?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can only assume if that keith expresses an opinion on what he wants for lunch that is counted as a policy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The taliban are going to destroy the psyche of the britsh by printing out pictures of the queen and then ripping them up.

Every time you do it it weakens her power. That's why she's on the money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps they want the portrait so they can rub it on people and cure scrofula.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the government needs to negotiate a trade deal where we send the taliban cheese and they send us the picture of the queen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if Big Nonce Fan Lizzy Winds II is necessarily the best role model for anyone in the world tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What if the taliban got hold of a printer they could download a picture of the queen off the internet and then print it out as a bunch of A4 parts and then stick them together and then they could potentially gain posession of a picture of the queen of any size they want.

We can not afford a large-picture-of-the-queen gap. We must immediately paint the flight deck of the HMS queen elizabeth with the face of queen elizabeth.

E: I have heard from our royal correspondant that the actual face of the queen is not conveniently shaped like an aircraft carrier so we might have to do some research for how we can cover the whole deck with it.

Also we need to figure out a way so when the planes take off they don't burn big holes in the queen that would be bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 2, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Were there ever any that were operated like the Cessna/light aircraft layout, where engine speed and braking is by hand and you steer (on the ground) with your feet?

I imagine it'd be a complete pain on the roads but that never stopped any of the other horseless carriage designs.

I think there is at least one tank (possibly the T34?) that has no steering at all, and instead you have differential brakes on the tracks. To make the tank turn left you put your foot down on the accelerator and then haul on the left brake to make it drift left. This was easier than setting up a differential drive system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I saw a youtube video of an old steam lorry design that reversed by literally just fiddling with the valve on the steam engine to reverse the piston direction.
E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKa8K9qZBQ

(good fun youtube channel if you like cars, also runs a general mechanics/woodwork channel)

(I think my favourite bit is tensioning the drive chain by moving the entire rear axle backwards)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wouldn't be much weirder than the things people turn up to goth weekend in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems both extremely melty and terfy to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually know someone who is quite fond of the "european" idea but she is a genuinely nice and Correct person. I think it's still a holdover of rather lib-ier early years but I think it is also just how she parses internationalism.

It does still have a bit of the whole Gap Yah thing about it though, though in her case I think it's just that she does actually like old european cities and stuff which I've never been interested in.

I still think she looks at it as a way to somehow disaffiliate from britnats though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also while I don't like his take on the internationale, billy bragg is at least partially responsible for greatly improving the red flag by making it sound less like a funeral dirge.

Did not think I would heard the singer from nightwish doing a crimbo song lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I would count being british as part of my identity. I mean yes obviously it is a valid descriptor of where I was born and where I live but I don't think of it the way I think about my political positions, or even things like sexuality, which I think is mostly an identity because everyone else makes it one and because it ties in with my political positions.

Other than politics I don't actually think I have anything I would consider to be a strong component of "my identity" actually, there are lots of things I do but I don't make them into core parts of who I am. I don't identify as a Gamer despite playing a huge amount of videogames, it's a thing I do, not a thing I am.

There are things that I can't stop other people from identifying me as, but that doesn't mean internalize them and start identifying myself like that. And that seems like a pretty tangible distinction at least to me.

It doesn't feel as if anything has changed re: european-ness, like yes I am not legally allowed to go there if ever the fancy took me but I don't really think that it has somehow changed me as a person.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Politics is important because it's a subset of ethics and having the wrong kind makes you an arsehole. That isn't true about other aspects of identity, which ideally shouldn't matter at all.

Yeah I think that is about what I was arriving at. Like politics is just the practical application of the things I think are really important, like the whole way I understand the world and as you say, ethics and poo poo. Almost the definition of things I think really matter. It's integral to how I understand and treat other people, my job, my tastes, everything really.

I assume that necessarily "britishness" must also inform some of that and so must "european-ness" because both of those things decribe the environment in which I live and have lived, but to the extent that is true I don't think it is the sort of thing that law changes can alter? And it's definitely not the sort of thing that I would go around thinking about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That... does seem kind of like a process of deselecting all the people who do not conform to that concept though?

Like, we live in a literal monarchy, we literally killed tens of thousands of people because people could not adapt to the idea that diseases are dangerous and we might have to not go to the horse races.

What you describe does not appear to be "britishness" but rather a set of traits that are present to a greater or lesser degree across some people in many countries, but if a huge section of the population manifestly cannot demonstrate them it seems difficult to view them as some sort of "national character"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If charles starts psychically projecting then yes we have problems.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they have the authority to nonce as much as they like without repercussions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you were to take the position that they have no institutional power (which I don't) you still have the problem that they are absolutely loving loaded and people still defer to them because they're royal.

Like even if on paper they are not actually henry the 8th, they still have a tremendous amount of power and evoke a nauseating amount of deference from brits when the correct attitude should be to spit every time you see one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sure I saw that book a little while ago because the author was being a loving idiot on twitter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be wrong about that so take it with a grain of salt, I just remember seeing the title and also that someone was having something published by verso books and being surprised because they seemed like an idiot and I thought verso mostly did left wing stuff.

I can't tell you anything about why though because I see so many stupid takes on twitter that they all blur together so I might be entirely wrong.

E: looking him up on twitter I can't find anything so I might have been looking at something else and he posted a comment perhaps and my brain is crosswiring them.

https://twitter.com/philbc3

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 5, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It may also be that they can't do anything about work being shite because that's the foundation of society, but they can piss about with universities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you ever manage to kill him via apoplexy please post about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the question is who she despises most, so yes I entirely believe that jeremy corbyn elicits more annoyance from her than anybody else, but it does obviously say more about her than anything else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the british media (press and tv) is just an endless school though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect that is a non libellous way to say he is actually a hitler.