Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Polly Pickpocket posted:

BBC news just had a woman on arguing that 12-15 year olds shouldn't be able to choose to get vaccinated and that the child's parents should get the final say. She said she doesn't trust her daughter to make that decision because 'thats why we have the age of consent'.

:magemage:

Well, she's correct in that as children grow up they gain more and more autonomy over their lives and bodies, and it's because we consider them to be able to grasp what's going on whether it's medical procedures, contracts, liability or, well, sex.

Though why she didn't point to the already existing rules on children's medical autonomy (afaik 16 in UK) is a mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you ever wonder how all this poo poo relates to each other, GNU Units has a large definition file that lists lots of utterly obscure units along with comments. It's pretty well researched and the units equivalent of the insane tzdata file that powers something like 80% (wild guess) of all date conversions.

Here's the section on fluid volumes on a (woefully outdated) mirror, that I am linking only because linking directly to lines in that file is hard otherwise:

https://github.com/ryantenney/gnu-units/blob/e7ded0943323b0bea083190d2676eed5277fe90d/units.dat#L1745

It has some utterly insane poo poo like:

drybarrel 7056 in^3 # Used in US for fruits, vegetables,
# and other dry commodities except for
# cranberries.

Or different length measurements:

UKlength_B 0.9143992 meter / yard # Benoit found the yard to be
# 0.9143992 m at a weights and
# measures conference around
# 1896. Legally sanctioned
# in 1898.
UKlength_SJJ 0.91439841 meter / yard # In 1922, Seers, Jolly and
# Johnson found the yard to be
# 0.91439841 meters.
# Used starting in the 1930's.
UKlength_K meter / 39.37079 inch # In 1816 Kater found this ratio
# for the meter and inch. This
# value was used as the legal
# conversion ratio when the
# metric system was legalized
# for contract in 1864.
UKlength_C meter / 1.09362311 yard # In 1866 Clarke found the meter
# to be 1.09362311 yards. This
# conversion was legalized
# around 1878.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Does this not suggest that you can simply keep legally converting between yards and meters using the legal conversion method until you have legally infinite of anything? Which proves that I could not have been breaking the speed limit officer so you have to let me go now.

Pretty much. It also suggests that it was complete chaos before some people standardised things in a sane way.

Seriously, read the comments in that document, there's just so much insane poo poo. I recommend the section on abrasive grit size. But every time there's a large comment block it's guaranteed to be incredibly hosed up.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, working in IT I am pretty confident that guy worked in IT. I meet those people constantly on the other end of support tickets. They treat computers as inscrutable magical devices that require rituals to tame, instead of the boring but scrutable amalgamations of code, bugs, and lint.

tl;dr I am a Tech Priest

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Jakabite posted:

I was talking about air temperature, dumbdumbs. If you’re regularly experiencing air temps of 100C I would suggest removing yourself from the oven.

Look at this pleb not going to the sauna regularly.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You have: 100 degC
You want: gasmark
Value '100 degC' is not in the function's range

Oh wow the function to convert to gas mark takes temperature in RANKINE. :psyduck:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

duck monster posted:

Around that point of time, I was running a number of university websites (clubs and other orgs) using a machine with 500mb ram, 10gb storage and Pentium 75 CPU. And it was all pretty snappy (The 10mb ethernet uplink certainly didnt hurt, I had previously been running sites on a 128K ISDN line on a 486 and slackware) . drat thing actually survived a slashdotting once (story about censorship of student activists we ran on the student newspaper site got picked up). Its. *very* different internet these days.

You can still do that. All you have to do is to not have 20kB of CSS and 5MB of javascript and 2MB of fonts and 20MB of 300dpi high-res images fit into your header, all to display three paragraphs of text.

You can serve a nice looking static site to hundreds of thousands of clients per minute over a crummy 1Gbps link on a tiny VPS that costs 7€/month without a problem.

It's ridiculous how far you can get with todays hardware if you cut out all the bloaty garbage.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe this is just the autism talking, but it's absolutely maddening interacting with 90% of the world because I see these errors built on errors and I just want to take them apart and rebuild them properly from scratch, but then people get pissy because they're used to using it that way, i.e. wrong.

No, that's just computer toucher brain. It's also a trap. Most code is indeed handling all the pesky edge cases that appear when code touches the real world, and that's fine.

My beef is specifically with web devs. The vast majority of the web consists of some text with images and maybe a few video files. The vast majority of data transferred and cpu cycles spent does not improve the experience of the user and is usually not even visible (except in ads).

120 separate requests to a dozen disparate domains and 10 seconds load time on a high-latency link to display a few headlines with images and a two-sentence lead? Get the gently caress out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

She's out of your league anyway.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lady Demelza posted:

We had to hide the computer from IT.

e:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which has given a bunch of people migraines and eye strain from tiny text that can't be changed, and has been cobbled together from premade modules, one of which my wife recognises from working at an opticians.

:classiclol:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 21, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's not really a red herring, it's just another factor. There is no glut of truck drivers and trucks across the entire continent, and truck drivers are inherently a bit more mobile than others. That means any country that puts up barriers to entry, no matter how small, immediately experiences a disproportionate amount of disruption as trucking companies can pick and choose.

If you are a trucking company and you have to expect delays on entry and exit in one country, but you can access an entire market without delays, you are going to prefer the large market. Because unless you are getting paid extra to cross that border, you have the prospect of your trucks being stuck and not making money.

The UK seems to be stuck in a loop of putting measures on itself that reduce its attractiveness as a destination for freight, having problems crop up because it is being deprioritised, then putting up even more barriers. Rinse, repeat.

Failed Imagineer posted:

wouldn't most HGV drivers have passports anyway? they're not Americans

You don't need one if you don't leave Schengen, as your national ID is sufficient.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You still need ID within Schengen, and countries can check ID on entry. Those are typically spot checks but during some phases of the pandemic certain countries introduced temporary checks on all incoming traffic.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Is Starmer a crypto-accelerationist?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf Ireland's gonna get smashed pretty bad by Brexit as well but sorry it's funny and Britane delenda est

While I agree, Gott strafe England and all, Ireland is even funnier than just Brexit, which is merely hilarious. If we go into the DUP and how they both turbofucked NI and got turbofucked by the tories we'll be out of breath after a minute.

The UK Brexit negotiating position was that if Ireland cared about the GFA and the NI border so much it should exit the EU, and they thought the EU would throw a member under the bus to please the UK. I assure you, collectively, eyebrows across the EU impacted the ceiling when they fielded that argument.

The GFA is no laughing matter, it's hugely important. But the EU immediately identified it as a major, major issue early on, and since the USA is a guarantor of the agreement they, too, are invested in the state of that border. The UK (England, really) completely ignored this for years and was completely caught by surprise when the issue came up during trade negotiations with the USA.

I'm e-friends with some people on the island and their reaction to the way Brexit was conducted can not be described in words. Perhaps like:
But also with just utter incredulity.

Anyway, NI supermarkets are full and the petrol is flowing because of the NI protocol keeping it in the single market. lol. lmao.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

jaete posted:

So how about those Brexit customs checks then? Do I remember correctly that currently the UK is not doing any customs checks at all for anything that is going from the UK to the EU... but that these checks will begin soon?

Was it 1st of October by any chance that the UK-to-EU customs checks were going to begin? Or did they delay... or what was the date again?

How's it gonna go, do you think (my guess is: lol, lmao)

Basically, the situation is like this, and will stay that way:

* The EU has implemented full checks for anything going in. UK, being primarily focused on services for export, is facing barriers and a volatile situation. As soon as the UK starts diverging on, say, data protection, the entire industry goes up in flames when EU stops recognising equivalence, which is done unilaterally
* In exchange, the UK is not thoroughly checking imports and does not have the capabilities to do so, so EU based companies can export to the UK fairly easily. Raising barriers now, with shortages already widespread, would blow up spectacularly

You may recognise that this is hilariously one-sided, but it suits the EU just fine. In fact, I don't think they would really object much, but other UK trading partners may find the current situation less than funny.

I think we are currently still at the stage of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I do not think they will have a choice but to kick the can down the road indefinitely. Certainly as long as crises keep happening whenever another implementation date comes up.