Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

Missed StarkingBarfish's post. Yeah I'm UCU, it's looking pretty hosed. Unfortunately, despite 90%+ yes votes every time, my uni's had less & less less turnout every strike vote (from a starting position of exactly 2 votes under the threshold).

People really need to just start ignoring the TUA imo, look at what IWW have been up to in Bristol this week, poo poo works. (yeah I know UCU is even less likely to act do something about lovely regressive laws than the rest of the mainstream unions, but a boy can dream)

I'm in Unison at a university and we just balloted for strike action for last year's pay rise of 0%. We only managed a 21% turnout. If people won't even vote on a 0% deal there's no hope of them ever voting on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Social care absolutely needs proper funding, thank God we have an effective opposition to push for a reduction in the top end of personal allowance which would cover the cost easily.

VVVV it's all of them.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 6, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress tony blair.

Warning: loving Tony Blair may result in Euan Blairs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Chubby Henparty posted:

Probably a dumb question but is this price hike some kind of contract-breaking nationwide event or will the fixed-rate I signed up to 2 months back hold

Check your contract but in theory your fix should hold.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/johnmcternan/status/1434953741619372034?s=20

Perfectly fine assumption to make, can't possibly go wrong.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

With the cost of gas absolutely kneecapping all these suppliers the forecasts are that we might lose 90% of the energy companies in the UK by the close of the year. They reckon there could be as few as 10 left by 2022.

So much for the free market.

Bulb looking ropey https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58619418 so 10 left might be optimistic.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
This is a great thread https://twitter.com/garius/status/1414926090494169103?s=21

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

I find it difficult to interpret it very charitably:

At the very least it suggests that he thinks people should be excluded unless they have jumped through whatever stupid loving hoops they plan to write up for "official" recognition.

https://twitter.com/cj_bellwether/status/1440678474952310785

So the default is that trans women should have access to women-only spaces, which is the opposite of what the Indy was trying to suggest.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 22, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JoylessJester posted:

Wait Ed Millibands now in favour of changing his own rules, sacking himself and abandoning his areas big policy? WHY?

Nah he's abandoning his own policy to keep the sweet shadow post rather than be sacked.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

1965917 posted:

Yay! I've had two energy providers go bust on me in the last two years. What a great system this is

In the past 4or 5 years I've been with Bulb, Avro, Gnergy, Yorkshire and PFP. Of those Bulb are the only ones still going and that might not be for long.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

vodkat posted:

What actually happens if my energy supplier goes bust? I’m assuming your gas isn’t shut off at midnight, is it just a change to the letter head and price at the end of the month?

Yeah it's no big deal, you just get assigned to a new company and they switch you over. The tarrif usually changes though but they normally have no exit fees so you can switch back out again as soon as you want. Any credit you have with the defunct company is also protected although it can take a while to get it back.

fatelvis posted:

Is there anywhere I can get an idea of what companies are going to go tits up?

At this point I think you have to assume that they are all going to fold if they aren't called BG, E.On, EDF, Scottish, SSE or Npower

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 22, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

instead I would prefer if we attempted to build an actual better society that doesn't rely on the lovely parts of the EU to paper over its failings.

Is this even possible as an isolated island full of terfs and tories?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Nothingtoseehere posted:

An island that came within a few thousand votes of electing a Corbyn government in 2017? An island, which by all survey results, has only been getting more accepting of transgender people over time?

Politics moves in ebbs and flows, and a year feels like an eternity when you are in it. But that doesn't mean the conditions for progress don't exist - just that it won't be soon.

Yeah sorry I was being flippant about the Tories and Terfs, although I'm not sure Corbyn almost winning but losing due to Labour's willingness to sabotage itself should be viewed a positive, particularly post Brexit and post 2019 GE. They are already trying to stop that ever happening again with the leadership rule change, and even if that fails I can't see another outright leftist getting to be leader within the short to medium term needed to fix this place.

I'm absolutely no fan of the EU, I just wonder if the global nature of various markets makes fixing Normal Island almost impossible as an isolated nation outside the EU. It certainly won't be done under the Tories and a Starmer Labour party won't either.

e: have an upbeat story about Bolsanaro saving Christmas https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Just Another Lurker posted:

According to the FT: Boris Johnson orders rapid fix to UK shortage of truck drivers https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-9019-471b-9cbf-d7554c3b40b2

That lad does NOT like bad publicity at ALL and yet he talked about Kermit the Fog in a speech at the United Nations. :downsbravo:

How many E.U. HGV drivers are desperate enough to return to this mad house i do no know.

Britain blew billions on Bozza's brexit to block those bloody Balkans blagging Brenda bucks but the buggers are back

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1441859834605879299?s=19

https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1441866284673605639?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

There seems to be some stupid gotcha going around about trans women demanding cervical smear tests that is either based on something that happened once ever or just transphobic fever dreams.

The correct answer is that, yes, people with cervixes should have cervical smear tests and people without should not, and whether someone has one or not should be between them and whatever medical records their gynecologist accesses.

There's nothing more to it than that. Yes it might be a waste of time doing a cervical exam on a trans woman, in the same way that it would almost certainly be a waste of time doing one on a cis woman with CAIS, but that is a medical matter and only a medical matter. Anything more than that implies that there's some social situation where the person going down this path of debate would be comfortable asking someone if they have a cervix. Maybe that's what Nick Ferrari does in his spare time, but that isn't 'putting people on the spot' it's being a weirdo.

I think it's as simple as all women of a certain age on a GP's list gets sent smear test reminders. That includes trans women. The problem arises that trans men no longer receive the reminders as an automatic thing.

Jedit posted:

I don't think that the cervix is removed in a hysterectomy. That may be why it's become the bigot's body part of choice to define a woman, after it was pointed out that women who had had double mastectomies or their uterus removed were still women.

There are 4 different types of hysterectomy, and the most common kind does remove the cervix:

total hysterectomy – the womb and cervix (neck of the womb) are removed; this is the most commonly performed operation
subtotal hysterectomy – the main body of the womb is removed, leaving the cervix in place
total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – the womb, cervix, fallopian tubes (salpingectomy) and ovaries (oophorectomy) are removed
radical hysterectomy – the womb and surrounding tissues are removed, including the fallopian tubes, part of the vagina, ovaries, lymph glands and fatty tissue

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Failed Imagineer posted:

I had a lovely weekend painting, me. TFW you get the good frogtape that peels off jussssst right and leaves a nice smooth border hnnng

I had a lovely weekend painting, newly skimmed plaster flaking off as i rollered over it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Someone forgot to tell conference that Labour ended antisemitism yesterday https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1442455417804652552

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-revives-blairs-policy-on-crime-jsv5vhv0n

Let's party like it's 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
They're also going after Patel as being ‘soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime’. Patel, known for such soft policy as "sinking boats of asylum seekers to stop them legally landing in the uk".