Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chatrapati posted:

I'm not trying to excuse Tories trying to fob cheap stuff as replacements for necessary facilities, but I had many classes in old caravans as a kid, and I don't think it diminished those classes.

But I am from Tyne & Wear, so maybe I missed out on the spaceships or whatever Southerners used.

Call me crazy, but perhaps a classroom would have been better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

at least the lies are not in the tories favour for once

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Man, a bunch of the food shops round my way are 50% empty shelves.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Means-tested opt-outs of zero-hours contracts

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

"democratically optimal" for power to be concentrated in as few people as possible

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Even the centrist dads of the Guardian comments are taken aback at this one. I think it's a really, really awful miscalculation for Starmer and it shows up the lack of political experience that we keep talking about. He should never have announced something like this without at least getting the tacit agreement of all the major unions; instead, he's clearly sprung it on them and they're reacting angrily. Just awful politics even in the most functional sense.

Nothing Starmer has done makes sense if his goal is to win elections.

Everything Starmer has done makes sense if his goal is to ensure that only right-wing politicians can win elections.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The Labour membership aren't real people. Real people believe what the Sun newspaper tells them to believe, so that's who I, a Labour MP, choose to represent.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

They're running with this whole "Leave the car at home! The train is really green!" poo poo, but like, if you already have a car, odds are, getting to where you're going in the car is going to be easier and cheaper - and it's essentially guaranteed to be *much* cheaper if you're travelling with more than one person.

Absolutely. If you need to make a journey from Leeds to London and back with one other person, it makes perfect ecological sense to take the train.

However, it makes no economic sense at all. The cost of train tickets in this country is ridiculous.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe Starmer wants to step down but wants to ensure the PLP get to pick his replacement instead of the membership

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

learnincurve posted:

The cheap portable heaters are going out of stock fast

£13 high rated in stock October 22nd https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006UJDGB0

isn't electricity also ridiculously expensive right now though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

FiftySeven posted:

So I checked the news this morning and saw a headline saying that the clown has told the UN that people need to "grow up" and "listen to scientists"...

Am I in loving opposite land?

No, not those scientists, the ones we funded

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I didn't really know much about heat pumps until a quick round of Googling a few minutes ago. It looks like:

* Heat pumps are more expensive than boilers to buy/install
* Heat pumps heat more slowly than boilers
* Heat pumps are much more efficient than boilers - 2 times as good as gas, 6 times as good as electric
* Heat pumps cost a lot less to run due to said efficiency, and are much better for the environment
* Heat pumps and boilers last about as long (10-15 years)

Is that about right?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Except that one guy

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

multijoe posted:

idk I like having some purpose in life and not just faffing around all day

Most jobs don't let you do either of these things

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

gently caress does Starmer care about voters, though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How are things in the financial sector, by the way? Has London moved to Frankfurt?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How many other police officers are convicted criminals? Would it be wrong to suggest that convicted criminals should be automatically fired from their jobs as police officers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

These days I'd vote yes to a £100/hr minimum wage just because I know whatever actually comes of it - if anything - will be super watered down in any case.