Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lungboy posted:

I'm in Unison at a university and we just balloted for strike action for last year's pay rise of 0%. We only managed a 21% turnout. If people won't even vote on a 0% deal there's no hope of them ever voting on anything.

I'm a teacher and a recent union motion passed the idea that we can do votes based on majority of response rather than majority of membership. There are so many teachers who join so they have support if they're going to get fired but don't touch the union outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
To tie the two together, on 11/9/01 I was playing tennis with friends. We got a text from someone that a plane had flown into the twin towers and assumed they meant at Wembley. We assumed it was some sad accident and kept playing tennis.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Robot Mil posted:

So no vaccine passports, fine, but.... are there any other restrictions? He says that they're focusing on 'other defenses' which are..... what exactly? Hoping people get vaccinated if they haven't already been? Contact tracing and isolating people who test positive?

One of the arguments against vaccine passports I've heard is that being vaccinated doesn't actually stop transmission. But nothing else appears to be happening now to stop transmission?

I dunno it boggles my mind a bit, we're hoping to come back from Canada to the UK in December finally, but it's going to be really weird to come from a place where masks are still mandated (and the vast majority of people do wear them indoors, on buses etc.), vaccine passports are about to come in to... cross your fingers and hope for the best. Ugh.

Boris is meant to be making a speech on Tuesday about it. Probably going to say that we might need to consider masks again at some point.

Schools at the moment are 'make sure your windows/doors are open for ventilation' and that's it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've had Zen Internet for many years. Not cheap but great customer service.