Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Sarkar posted a link to that Rod Liddle piece where he talks about not wanting to be a teacher because he wouldn't be able to stop loving the kids. Someone responded with this Guardian article by him which has an all-time insane opening sentence:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/jan/14/childprotection.rodliddle

:kstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Geronimo was an alpaca, not a llama.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

therattle posted:

Why aren't those police being prosecuted for perjury, as well as assault? (This is a rhetorical question, I sadly know the answer).

If you prosecuted every cop who lied on the stand for perjury you wouldn't have a police force (not necessarily a bad thing).

One of the more common things is cops trying to beef up 'assaulting a police officer' charges by lying about the person being arrested spitting on them - which I've seen repeatedly disproved by bodycam and dashcam footage (like if the defendant was face down on the bonnet of a car the entire time). It's so commonplace that it's honestly not worth reporting, at worst the judge might say something about how disappointed he is in the police witness evidence, but you're lucky if you get that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

the standard spiel I’ve seen in cop trials is “well that’s not how I remember it”, because someone who can not distinguish between reality and imagination is definitely someone you want to have enforcing law

and then their cop buddy absolutely will not contradict them.

Like, cop witnesses will openly be sat outside courtrooms in little huddles getting their stories straight before giving evidence. It's not even something they bother to hide.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

again, code of conduct should be occifers who are to testify get sequestered and not doing that is an instant firing regardless of whether it's guilty or not in court

It should be, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Honestly the best you can do is assume that the police - and anyone who wants to join - is going to be a piece of poo poo and do your best to mitigate that. You can't really fix the cops, but stuff like bodycams, dashcams, and the public regularly filming the police are the best solution.