Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1437455760628371460?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Skull Servant posted:

Been preparing to do it for a while now but this week I pulled the trigger and I'm about to move from Ireland to the UK. Is there anything I need to know about getting set up there? I know I immediately have the right to work and reside because I'm an Irish citizen and that I will need to get a NI number asap, then register with the NHS to prevent any issues later on down the line. Getting set up with a bank and a proper place to live that isn't my partner's parents' house is next on the list, along with getting a job. I've applied for some entry level government positions and will look more in the private sector in about two weeks, right before I'm about to move. I don't see myself having too much of an issue with the job search? I have plenty of call centre skills and I've worked as an office administrator for the last few months, plus I have a degree (in Arts, but they included some web training so I have some "employable" skills).

As for the inevitable "why" (because god knows I've thought it myself) -- rent/general cost of living in Ireland is way too high, I have better opportunities for my Masters degree in the UK, and my partner lives there. Plus, I enjoy living in urban areas and I can't do that in Ireland without getting even more priced out.

Any advice would be great!

Register for a GP instead of ignoring it for years like me. Get a monzo card. Getting a bank account might be the most difficult thing, and you may have trouble getting a phone contract because you have no credit history. I managed to get mine by doing some kind of rolling month contract.

:Edit: also what twisto ^ said

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The concept of moving to the UK because cost of living/rent is too high in cities where you live is quite difficult to fathom but if you really want to I guess..?

Imagine paying higher rent and more for food for even less than in the UK. Plus he did say he was in a rural area so even living in a bedsit in Croydon is preferable to that

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

when your mum puts you in a nice suit and tie and get a lovely haircut and become electable for the whole family

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Can’t believe I voted for Keith gently caress this I just want to go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Used some of my newfound Brexit freedom to see No Time to die

it sucked